The Truth About Recording and Mixing Levels

I find most rock with a crest factor or dynamic range (range between RMS & Peak) at about 8-6 at Chorus. You want to find the crest at the "Loudest" climax of the song.

Dynamic range is the ratio between the peak level and the RMS noise level. Crest factor is the ratio between the peak level and the RMS signal level. They are two very different things.

ahem sorry for not clarifying Sorry I have a meter that reads dynamic range, and a different meter to measure crest. Dynamic range (RMS noise level and Peak level) 6-8. By lowering the dynamic range also lowers the crest of the audio. Most audio considered loud has a crest of around 10 dB of power.

Last edited:
Crest factor is measured over the course of the entire song. It would therefore be the AVERAGE RMS to peak ratio since, these days, peaks consistently hit the 0 dBfs mark.

Cheers :)

My TT DR Offline Meter to read my crest of the whole song which is mostly 10. I rarely use it I tend to use my Plugin TT DR Meter to measure the dynamic range on the loudest part of the master which is 15 to 8 at the loudest part of the song depending on the song. The samples that hit that high are few in a matter of mili seconds.

Crest factor is measured over the course of the entire song. It would therefore be the AVERAGE RMS to peak ratio since, these days, peaks consistently hit the 0 dBfs mark.

Cheers :)

I leave 0.3dBFS of headroom to accommodate intersample peaks. I think they can, in theory, be as high as 6dB but the vast majority come in under 0.3dB.

Back