The TRUTH About Coffee-Can Method Of "Holeing" Kick Drum Reso Heads

I'm gonna keep recommending that people use a port ring and razorblade/xacto knife. No heat, no burns, no coffee, no cans, no mess, and you get a protected pro looking hole that won get split by mics going in and out.

This is how I've cut holes in my studio kit's double bass drums.

Funny thing...
Way back when I first got drums, I wanted to cut a hole.
So I took a round object, marked the circle on the mounted head and proceeded to stick a razor into it on the line....
.....**POP!!!** went the head and I ended up with a split across the whole thing.

:eek: :( :mad: "Dumb as Fuck" was the only thing I could think of. :laughings:

Of course, I then discovered that they made port rings. So $40 later for a new head and with one of them stuck on the head and a sharp razor/knife...it was 1-2-3 to cut a perfect, smooth hole.

Pics or it didn't happen.

I've never done it, but I've seen heads after it was done and they were messy. I'm gonna keep recommending that people use a port ring and razorblade/xacto knife. No heat, no burns, no coffee, no cans, no mess, and you get a protected pro looking hole that won get split by mics going in and out.

Grrrg has a pro hole, but it's protected.

I did with two older heads that my friend gave me, and it worked great! I used a 5-inch diameter can of green beans :D

It actually is really easy and clean, as long as you apply the pressure right. If you're pressing the can unevenly, then you can screw it up a little.

Saw a cheap drum set on Atlanta CL the other day- someone had done a horrible job of putting a hole in the kick drum head with a hot can. Now I understand Greg's dislike for this method, but I would think Greg would be much more careful than that yahoo was.

I used to use this method, but honestly I think the best way is to get those Remo DynamO stick on templates and a razor blade or exacto knife. You can cut the hole wile the head is still on the drum and the tempate reinforces the exposed edge from splitting/cracking.

Saw a cheap drum set on Atlanta CL the other day- someone had done a horrible job of putting a hole in the kick drum head with a hot can. Now I understand Greg's dislike for this method, but I would think Greg would be much more careful than that yahoo was.
Greg would be more careful, but he'd still rather this vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

I used to use this method, but honestly I think the best way is to get those Remo DynamO stick on templates and a razor blade or exacto knife. You can cut the hole wile the head is still on the drum and the tempate reinforces the exposed edge from splitting/cracking.

Back