The teeny little microphone worked this time.

Kewlpack

The Teeny Little Microphone "that could"...

This is a followup on the small post I made in the other thread.

Try listening to it now - the lead still isn't very good - but the tone is fine (probably overdriven a bit - Santana-ish) and didn't clip this time around. Kinda cool what you can do with a teeny little mic! :D

I hit each track with a 2:1 compression to even things out - but dunno if it "worked" as I'm new to the mixin' biz.

Wheee -
~A~

Last edited:
A few shots of the little guy!

Here is a few simple photos of the microphone "in action" and with a sharpie pen for scale.

It is a simple LabTec pc microphone... about $29 at your local computer store.

TinyMic.jpg

Hehehe... necessity is the mother of invention after all eh?
~A~

RS Condensor works nicely.

I'm glad I'm not alone.

I don't have a handy place to post a sample, yet. But I've had great luck with a tiny $25 lavalier from Radio Schack. I found the best position was to tape it to the pickguard, two inches below the strings, and then prop it up with another piece of tape at a ninety degree angle so the head of the mic is facing away from the guitar. This cuts the boom and and high freq noise (pick clicks and string sqeaks) by just enough. I have to roll of the bass a bit on the channel eq.

Not sure why, but it sounds better than the Baggs I-Beam I put in the guitar. and makes for good seperation when recording.

I was surprised the RS cheapo mic could take the sound pressure levels, even inside the guitar body, without crapping out. I love cheap fun.

Kev

Back