The Studio Rack Basics and Descriptions?

phriq

Freon Productions
Hey Everyone, I was wondering if someone of you guys could give me the basic functions and need for some of the equipment found in a studio rack? My first purchase I am doing is going to be for a M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Rack Audio Interface. However, I was curious if you could give me some information on some of the other equipment found in studio racks. I know that a lot of what is found there can be done through plug-ins in your DAW, however, I am specifically curious about what Compressors and Pre-Amps will do for you in recording and what the need is? I have done a lot of my compression through plug-ins in my software, is there any particular advantage to real time compression through a separate box? I really don't know much of anything about Pre-Amps. Thanks so much! I appreciate it!

Preamps are necessary to bring mic level signals up to line level. If you're not recording anything with a microphone, you won't have much of a need for preamps.

Compression... I'm a big fan of analog compression. That said, I'm a big fan of exceptionally nice analog compression. There are a few "budget friendly" units out there that are worth having. But for the most part, you're going to get better results from plugs that you'll get from the vast majority of the rest.

FMR's RNC is a no-brainer. ART's Pro VLA is another to some extent (QC is pretty bad - But if you get "a good one" it's a great unit to have around).

Back