The smell of BURNING LESLIE!!!???

JosephCampbell

On the Hammond C3 at our church there is buring smell. At first I though it was the other speaker/sound cabinet with all the tubes in it so I unconected it and only had the Leslie hooked up. Then, as if it were a nightmare the smell was still there... the SMELL OF BURNING TUBES and a hint of something else. I sniffed the C3 its self and nothing. I walked over to the Leslie and sniffed and I almost cried. I love how it sonds and know how much it is to get profrsinally fixed. I have replacement tubes what should I do???!!!???

I know next to nothing about Leslies, but if it's the unit itself, it may be a motor burnout.

If you can verify this and a replecement motor can be procured, I don't imagine it would be a major issue to replace it yourself.

What does a burned vacuum tube smell like anyway?

Yo Joe:

I have a Leslie Speaker. Used it in conjunction with my Cordovox. Great sound.

I would say you best get a professional to fix the unit. I didn't know there were "tubes" in a Leslie Rotor Speaker? I have had mine apart to oil it and don't remember any tubes being in there. However, you may have a different type of Leslie Rotor.

You could ask the Pastor/Director of your church to have a special collection to repair the unit.

But, changing tubes in an tube amp is really not difficult. You pull out a cold tube [test by turning on the unit and then off and lightly touch tubes to see if they are warm.] and put in a new tube.

Good Luck,
Green Hornet ;)

A burning smell usually points towards a motor or transformer breakdown (resulting from a short circuit) and often accompanied by burned wiring (which would explain the 'other smell' you got).

Back