The Revised Karma K-Micros

Kierkes

Anybody have any opinion on the K-Micros? I'm not talking about the old ones, because I've read initial reviews and it's clear that they were practically unusable.

The new ones have a better advertised response though, and promise to not distort.

The thing is, reviews of the new ones seem to be scant. Anyone have any idea how these are?

K-SB7 K-Micro 7 pcs Silver Bullet Pack :: Condenser Mics Trinity, Unity, Prophecy, K-10, K-micro, Silver Bullet :: Karma Mics - Dynamic mic - Condenser Microphone - Recording Microphone - San Jose, CA

That's interesting; I never expected to be able to use them as microphones to really "rely on" but I'm a born tweaker; they'd be interesting to have.

Thanks for the link sir!

I'm not talking about the old ones, because I've read initial reviews and it's clear that they were practically unusable.

The new ones have a better advertised response though, and promise to not distort.

When was the transition between "the old ones" and "the new ones" ?

When was the transition between "the old ones" and "the new ones" ?
Moresound brings up a good point. :P

But, most of the old reviews seem to be dated 2007/2008, the new reviews are certainly all dated 2011. The SoundOnSound article also mentions that Karma is shortly coming out with a model that is slightly less sensitive, to accommodate requests by customers for mic'ing up drum kits, because right now, they JUST seem to cross the distortion threshold, if everyone is to be believed.

They are to small for the installation of pads. :mad: But in-line pads would do the trick!
Look HERE I like the varitable pad shown at the bottom of the page. A MUST HAVE in any studio!!!! ;)

You guys!!! I looked at the site and bought 2 pads, 2 Silver Bullets ($29 pair :)) and the Duel pop filter. t's bad enough that I can't walk past a music store without buying something.

Alan.

You guys!!! I looked at the site and bought 2 pads, 2 Silver Bullets ($29 pair :)) and the Duel pop filter. t's bad enough that I can't walk past a music store without buying something.

Alan.

:laughings: Hey Alan ...... did you get the Variable attenuating pad?

Yes, great idea, and phase reversible as well, and does not upset the phantom. I just got one of my mic pres modded so the attenuation was changed from -30dB to -15bB as without the pad in the signal was too hot and with -30dB in it was too weak, I could have just bought the inline pad, I was going to make one but I thought it would upset the phantom. I can't even make a pad in an XLR case for this price.

Alan.

Yes, great idea, and phase reversible as well, and does not upset the phantom. I just got one of my mic pres modded so the attenuation was changed from -30dB to -15bB as without the pad in the signal was too hot and with -30dB in it was too weak, I could have just bought the inline pad, I was going to make one but I thought it would upset the phantom. I can't even make a pad in an XLR case for this price.

Alan.

Sounds like your all set now Alan. Those are great prices. I've been using that company for years.

Sorry to bump the thread, but I finally got to try the K-Micro Silver Bullet mics out on the weekend.

I used the silver bullets out as overheads (pics up on my studio web site later today), what I found was that on my normal setup position I did not like then much, they made the kit sound very garage. However with a bit more positioning I lowered the mics down much closer to the cymbals then I would usually, the drummer only had 1 crash and a ride so this was easy. The overheads picked up a lot less kit then I was used to, however the cymbals sound great, very crisp and clean. The drummer I had in was playing with brushes a lot of the time as we were doing country shuffle type stuff, so the cymbals were a bit more laid back then a full on rock drummer but in this case the bullets worked really well. I should have a rock session next week so I will try them on that, my feeling is that for a rock sound I may go back to my usual overhead setup but use a silver bullet on the ride and maybe the hats but I will try them as overheads first.

Oh and I used the inline pad but only as a phase reverse.

Cheers

Alan

Great to hear Alan! Every microphone has it's place in life. Maybe they'll only come in handy on that type of music? We'll see next week.

Aren't those pads the best!?!

Back