The real mic from hell

Robert D

WACO, Texas (AP) -- A pastor performing a baptism was electrocuted inside his church Sunday morning when he adjusted a nearby microphone while standing in water, a church employee said.

The Rev. Kyle Lake, 33, was stepping into the baptistery as he reached out for the microphone, which produced an electric shock, said University Baptist Church community pastor Ben Dudley.

Water in a baptistery usually reaches above the waist, said Byron Weathersbee, interim university chaplain at Baylor University.

Lake was pronounced dead at Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center, nursing supervisor Pat Mahl said.

I had an experience in church once where I was leading the music, (there must of been a bad ground in the church, and my amp had the old two prong plug) where I had my hand on the guitar strings and I stepped up to say something in the mic. My lip touched the mic, and then all I saw was a wall of blue fire which looked like it was inside my skull. It knocked me on my ass and my lips were numb, and I had to get someone else to talk.

It was a great religious experience.

Same thing happened to a mate of mine at a gig while I was playing. A blue bolt arced from the mic to his lip/moustache while he was playing electric guitar. Turned out the Mesa Boogie he was playing through hadn't been wired up correctly. Very dodgy!

Dan

having played in church for years, I have seen many, many bassists get shocked by poorly grounded amps. The trick is to stand on a tarp!

Wireless mics?? :rolleyes:
I would think that somebody in the church might have thought----"electrical system + water = bad". Too bad about the Pastor :(

Back