The Rain

Shazam! Those are some extremely interesting topics being talked about during coffee. You're on to something here. If you haven't already, listen to some Primal Scream if you want some similar tunes. I'd say more definition on the bass. The drums are very heavy, which is really good, but I have a hard time recognizing your bass line in between them. There's a crash cymbal in there (eg @1:33) that's not convincing. 3:05 onwards rocks my friend! I turned that waaaay up. There the balance with the bass sounds better. Some of your staccato synths could maybe use some temporal morphing? The ending is well played, nice finish. Where did you get that voice?

This tune...apart from the commentary...is all about groove.

I can hear the bass drum playing the figure, but the bass guitar is lost...which means there's not much organized thump to be heard.

Some ambience on the kit and a more present, deeper-sounding, louder bass guitar [?] would pump the jam, I reckon.

There's the synth's arpeggiated lines R. with some vocal stuff L. The effect is weak. If you could organize some lind of rythmic gear-meshing R&L, that would help.

The arrangement's groove don't wanna move my body. It's essentially a dance tune. It needs more kick in the bottom, and some hypnotic, melodic hook and funk in the midrange supporting instrumentation to make it work, I think. Interest gained in communication between two or more instruments.

James Brown 101. HAH!

Interesting tune. Sadly, I think this tune really, really wants to get me headbangin', dancin', and going nuts, but the bottom-end falls a bit flat. I can hear the bass-line doing lots of interesting things, but it's really covered up.

The main keyboard is quite prominent in the mix, but the keys aren't the groovin' part. I'd bring the groovin' instruments out, and cover up the keys a bit more.

Thanks for sharing!

It was an interesting song - I found myself listening to what you were going to say next (at least in the verses).

The synth's were real 80's sounding - don't know if that was what you were going for.

The mix gets really mid-rangey at about the 1:00 mark (the chorus).

Getting some brief shots of distortion from 1:45 - 1:53. Some other spots too.

Thanks PI, Jeff & TripleM for taking the time to listen & post.
It is really good to get a consistent message from several different people i.e. the lack of "oomph". Listening back I think I could have spent more time on the mix, and I think I can dig out the groove a bit more.

TripleM, thanks for pointing out the distortion glitches.
Jeff, I wish i knew where the "rythmic gear-meshing R&L" button is and Singlespeak, if I find a "temporal morphing" switch, I'll switch it on! But I think I know what you mean!

Just check out just about any James Brown groove. Call and answer...parts knitting together....not to copy, but grab ideas of concept. Tom Dolby's 'Flat Earth' is loaded for bear in that department, too.

This song is just awesome in general.

However, the first time, I almost didn't listen to the whole thing because I wasn't sure if it would ever get to the music part. It's easier to appreciate after the first listening though. :)

I'm not an expert, but it sounds amazing.

Thanks Bjorg and exhnozoaa,

This song is just awesome in general.

However, the first time, I almost didn't listen to the whole thing because I wasn't sure if it would ever get to the music part. It's easier to appreciate after the first listening though. :)

I'm not an expert, but it sounds amazing.

Yes, I was considering truncating the talkie intro.

Listening to Tom Dolby's The Flat Earth now, fantastic production. Class!

Yep. One of the best records of all time, on my personal list. The guitar work is amazing...based upon rythm and groove...perfect execution: no mega distortion or other paint-over on some of the most imaginative parts I ever heard....right up there with Steve Howe on the Yes Album and Fragile. All the players are amazing...except the trombone guy with that lame, lame solo.

There are things I hear on that record, after all these years, to this day that educate me.

Like on 'Mulu'. Count the time grind between the crickets and the song's pulse....turns around every 17 beats or something. Vertigo.

Glad you like it. Dolby is a great producer...and pays studious homage to the groovemasters, like Jas Brow. HA!

Thanks for turning me on to it Jeff. Listening to Mulu now (and for the last 15 minutes or so!). Amazing things going on there... not to mention crickets keeping time! Who needs a drummer?
Love the delayed double bass, will steal that!

"...believe in dreamtime: realtime inverted..." Nice lyric, wouldn't have believed that was written in 1984.

Back