The Rain For My Parade

Bristol Posse

Okey Dokey
Haven't posted anything new in a while so I thought I'd throw up a new song

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_10425400

This is the first mix and it could be a mistake to post it without a 24 hour cool off period to spot all the glaring errors but here we go anyway

I wrote it when I was "Having one of those days", I always thought this would end up with a long a and mournful blues solo until I remembered I suck at blues solos so went in another direction..... Brit pop blues

Any comments always most welcome

Last edited:
Very good stuff indeed! Great song and production. The voice reminds me a lot of Nick Drake and might be suited better for lighter stuff, but I might just be saying that because of my associations with Nick Drakes voice.

Overall great stuff!

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the listens and the feedback

Yeah my voice is not my best aspect and is not aggressive. But I feel like it's come a long way in the couple years I've been at this writing/singing/recording lark.
If I had someone else sing it they would do a better job, but then it wouldn't be my song any more which is kind of the point.

More practice and maybe some lessons and maybe I'll revisit my vocal performances one day

Onward and upward....

That's a great backing track and a neat song... the guitars sound great and the arrangement shows a lot of complexity. I have to agree that the vocal is the weak element here, but more because of the mix than the quality of the singing (tho there are a few bad notes). The backing track is very "produced" - lots of effects and swirly syths, but the vocal is very "flat" and unproduced - like it's a folk song. I would try cutting some low middle EQ out of the vocal to make it more brittle, then double it (live) and pan L/R. Maybe even experiment with some serious echo or chorus effect - something to give the vocal the synth-pop feeling of the rest of the song. Good work!

I think the music is very pretty, and the beginning figures are tremendous. The drums are too quiet for my tastes, and the keyboard appregio seems out of time with them occasionally. I strongly favor the half time portions over the chorus type stuff.

Overall the mix lacks low end heft and seems to have a fairly dense midrange, with guitars, vocals, and some keys perhaps fighting with each other a bit.

What is your recording environment like?

I think the music is very pretty, and the beginning figures are tremendous. The drums are too quiet for my tastes, and the keyboard appregio seems out of time with them occasionally. I strongly favor the half time portions over the chorus type stuff.

Overall the mix lacks low end heft and seems to have a fairly dense midrange, with guitars, vocals, and some keys perhaps fighting with each other a bit.

What is your recording environment like?

Thanks for the feedback! much appreciated

Room is treated with bass traps in the corners and is of a reasonable size around 22' by 30' with cathedral ceilings that vary in height from 12' to 16'. however even so there are some bass problems that I am aware of but that apparently may also be covering up some problems in the mids too

anyway I pulled some mud and low mids out of the synths, bass and verbs that seemed to be stacking up too much weight in the chorus without adding anything good to the sound and there seems to be a little more breathing room now.

I don't like the really "Smacky" drums that seem to be en vogue at present so I left them a little more behind the music

new version here The Rain For My Parade

Last edited:
Back