The process

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I have this song I wrote back in . . . 1980, I think. Pop Rock. Except for performing it live with my band 2 times, I've only performed it solo on (unplugged) acoustic.

For the past couple months, I've been trying to work up a more recent song from around 2016 that's only been performed live once and that was also solo acoustic. Well, right in the middle of arranging this second song, that older song pops into my head and won't let me go. So off I go.

My usual approach is to start with my acoustic rhythm and vocal, then write the main accompanying parts and do the arrangement, all in my head at the same time. Lots of back and forth editing. After 2 weeks of long walks around the neighborhood playing this thing over and over in my head, it's finally starting to gel. There's the main rhythm part and vocal, then I've come up with some accents for a second guitar that need to be combined with some matching drum and bass parts - just some areas that need emphasis throughout, no real bass or drum parts yet. Also have a good idea for some lead guitar licks - nothing fancy, simple, basic lines.

All in my head. . . I do pick up my acoustic to see if the plan is working the way I'm hearing it. Pick a couple notes here and there, you know, but otherwise I don't actually try playing it until I've got it all worked out. Then I sit down and begin recording, but I'm nowhere near that point yet.

Ye this - the way.
Some germ falls into my brain, sticks and wiggles and giggles until it gets my attention.
Then - no peace until it is fed.
over and over - even in a bar, it is there : warming me, taunting me, knowing me.
It isn't me but yet it is.
A familiar arm.
A helping hand.
A smile.
The noise is the milk I seek
Easy to get and smooth as silk
A shield from me
to save all of you
For I am a vermin, a slithering line of yuck
Incognito like a foreign buck
A hooded fool down on his luck
In the rain, being stoic