The Pro-Tools Debate

1Chance

just read an e-book that advised up and coming producers to learn how to use pro-tools, their reason being pro-tools is 'widely preferred' by 'professional' producers and in a scenario where one has to work with one of these 'professional' producers it would be easier if you both are on the same platform.
but i have gotten so used to FL studio for making beats, mixing and mastering then rewired reaper into FL for recording and arranging.

please can anyone give their opinion?

If you're going to be working on major-label stuff, it's probably a necessary evil. Your own stuff in your bedroom, I wouldn't worry too much.

Are you looking to become a professional audio engineer? If your just making beats and shit I see no reason to learn it. Pro Tools IMO is the most powerful audio recording and editing program around. As for arranging, making beats and using MIDI there are many good programs that are more geared for that type of work. I use Logic to arrange and write with, but Pro Tools if I'm editing or recording live instruments. I learned first on Pro Tools taking classes and getting certified but was able to pick Logic up on my own. I haven't really used any other software for years so I don't know much about reaper and FL. I say if your comfortable with it and your not looking to someday work as an engineer than go with what helps you flesh out your ideas.

I use protools, but I wouldnt be pissed if I had to use reaper and I still use it sometimes for tracking drums and stuff cuz I only got a m-box mini for protools.

Pro Tools IMO is the most powerful audio recording and editing program around.

Just curious how you get to this given the following :confused:

I haven't really used any other software for years so I don't know much about reaper and FL.

Be interested in hearing what you think (exactly) makes Pro Tools the most powerful editing/recording tool. What does it do that is so much better than every other professionally developed DAW application? For example Samplitude (or Cubase, Nuendo,etc) with SSL XLogic Alpha link interface; certainly stand up to any pro tools rig.

Don't get me wrong, I'll give you it may hold market share in the "industry" but I'm not convinced it has anything to do with it being the "best" anymore then I'm convienced windows is the best operating system.

In professional studios, it's generally the industry standard.

For your own stuff, it's completely up to you.

Although, if you're going to be going into pro studios, it is good to know.

Pro Tools is "the standard" only because life is easier with standards, regardless of the quality of said standards (to a certain point, of course). English is standard because it's standard, not because it's necessarily better or worse or easier to learn than any other language. It just turned out that way. Fahrenheit vs. Celsius and suchwhat.

Get Pro Tools if you think it'll be necessary to communicate flawlessly with other studios using Pro Tools. Get Reaper or something similar if you don't.

I started on Pro Tools, eons ago. I now use Sonar Producer. Matters not a whit to me...and the projects that I work with in PT studios have zero problems importing .wav files. When you start exporting bundle files with vst inst and fx plugs and the like, that's when it becomes an issue.

Why do people worry about industry standards when they're only just starting out... its not as if you're going to be hired within a few months and stepping into a pro studio where you're going to be required to use your 'industry standard' knowledge! :p

And if you ever thought you were at that point, anyone "worth the money" wouldn't care what DAW the studio was using anyway... PT, Cubase, Sonar, Nuendo, Samplitude/Sequoia... when you get down to the facts they're pretty much all the same, albeit a few workflow and interface differences. It might take you a few minutes to work out the labelling on some buttons and where things are in the menus, but really if you know one well, you should be able to pretty much pick up another one and not be too bothered.

The DAW shouldn't really dictate your work - it just gives you the set of tools that you need to do it. If you know your tools well, you won't care too much how they're presented to you. Yes its nice to be comfortable with the DAW you use the most, but you can't always be in your comfort zone!

First up I think Pro tools is a fantastic product.

Now what I think about it,

Pro tools is an industry standard because pro tools says it is.

A lot of the top producers that use pro tolls are endorsed by protools.

If you go down the pro tolls road there is no turning off, you have to buy protools compatible software and interfaces.

There is a lot of software out there that does exactly the same thing as protools.

The only thing not compatible is when you want to load up a complete pro tools project (and don't think all pro tools installs are compatible). If you record using another software, there is nothing stopping you importing the wav files into protools to work on later. If you record in protools you can export the wav files into other software.

I don't use protools and the hardest thing I have to do is explain to everybody that rings me up and asks me if I have protools (and often they have no knowledge of recording they have just read in some mag that it is the industry standard) that I can record them with my set up and do anything that they will need to do.

Cheers

Alan.

I've been using PT for just over a year and am just now really getting used to it. I tried several other recording programs and found they all do basicly the same thing. The main advantage I found is that so many other people use PT so it is easier to work between studios for remixing or mastering. If anyone works alone like most of us then It really doesn't matter what program they use. The important thing is to learn to use whatever software you choose so you can get it to do what you want it to. Some programs are easier to learn than others and the layouts are slightly different so it becomes a matter of choosing a program you feel comfortable with. I also have an old PC with Audacity still loaded on it that I use for a sketchpad when I am writing or for recording practice sessions. I could use PT for a sketchpad but I can have Audacity up and recording much faster so for this purpose it suits me better. It is largely a matter of deciding what you want or need to do then choosing the software that will enable you to accomplish it.

I think it's all a big conspiracy. Just like a political party, they want you to come over to their side. :D

(Hey, original poster, your last name wouldn't happen to be Pataki, would it?)

It used to be more of a big deal because PT was the platform that was accepted by most of the big studios when digital became the standard recording format. It doesn't matter that much now. Almost any recording software can export WAV. files, and any Pro Tools based studio can import WAV. files and turn them into Pro Tools sessions. I use Pro Tools, as it turns out, but that doesn't mean I couldn't use Sonar or Audacity or Reaper or whatever.-Richie

points taken. from the look of things, i might just learn 'it' incase, but still stick to my former DAW's.
thanks for your contributions.

i think the industry standard is Energy 2.5XT but the pro's are keeping it quiet from the rest of us...those fookers!!!

Just curious how you get to this given the following :confused:

Be interested in hearing what you think (exactly) makes Pro Tools the most powerful editing/recording tool. What does it do that is so much better than every other professionally developed DAW application? For example Samplitude (or Cubase, Nuendo,etc) with SSL XLogic Alpha link interface; certainly stand up to any pro tools rig.

Don't get me wrong, I'll give you it may hold market share in the "industry" but I'm not convinced it has anything to do with it being the "best" anymore then I'm convienced windows is the best operating system.

Patented algorithms for Tab to Transient and Beat Detective functions.

Back