The Premier - Jazz Weather (My band)

Pop Rocks

ACE,
A real Buffalo Tom Live vibe.
I reckon the lead line in the intro could be lifted up a little just so it's clear as it seemed to emerge & then submerge.
Great piece of pop.
Cheers
rayC

Cymbals are sounding pretty good. Actually, sounds like the drums are mixed well. Guitars are a bit loud for the vocals. They make it hard to understand all the words. Just a little loud. My only critique would be to lower the guitar volume just a bit. Enough to let the vocals and bass stick out a bit more. Other than that, excellent stuff geet. Where is the autotune? :D
Ed

I would agree the drums sound well mixed. The bass is a little lost, and I also agree that the guitars are cluttering things. Possibly consider simplifying the guitar tracks (not sure how many you have, but distorted guitar eats a lot of frequency). I learned this on my band's album, way too many guitar tracks. I am gonna remix it with the focus being simplifying and consolidating all those guitar tracks. Thanks for posting !

Sush

sushi-mon said:
I would agree the drums sound well mixed. The bass is a little lost, and I also agree that the guitars are cluttering things. Possibly consider simplifying the guitar tracks (not sure how many you have, but distorted guitar eats a lot of frequency). I learned this on my band's album, way too many guitar tracks. I am gonna remix it with the focus being simplifying and consolidating all those guitar tracks. Thanks for posting !

Sush

There are only 3 guitar tracks.

I was really rushed with this recording/mix, so it didn't come out too great. The guitars have an annoying hollow sound to them. Meh. My bassist's singing was pretty meh on this track, too. It took him a lot of takes to get this and I'm not very happy with it. This was the first day I could even talk after losing my voice for a week.

I'll stop making excuses.. but it didn't come out nearly as good as I had hoped.

Thank you for listening. We'll do a serious recording of it eventually.

Enjoyed it. It's got a good cruising-down-the-highway-on-a-road-trip kind of feel... don't know why but that's how it hits me.

Good drum sound. Guitars might sound better with a ballsier tone (just a little) and lower level (also just a little). I think the vocal's well done.

Tim

Last edited:
geet73 said:
There are only 3 guitar tracks.

I was really rushed with this recording/mix, so it didn't come out too great. The guitars have an annoying hollow sound to them. Meh. My bassist's singing was pretty meh on this track, too. It took him a lot of takes to get this and I'm not very happy with it. This was the first day I could even talk after losing my voice for a week.

I'll stop making excuses.. but it didn't come out nearly as good as I had hoped.

Thank you for listening. We'll do a serious recording of it eventually.

First, it takes balls for people to post their stuff here for criticisms. Give yourself some credit, it is a good sounding song.

Also, you may never be satisfied. My last band spent almost 10 grand to record and release an album. It actually is pretty good and I am very proud of it, but I am still going to go back in a re-mix it. Mostly for my own education, and now I can take a lot more time to get it mixed better with my own Pro-tools rig.

My point being, you are always going to not quite get exactly what you want. A lot of artists flinch when they hear their early material, while their fans drool over it. But we all learn from it, and apply the knowledge gained to your next gig, song, or album.

Sush

sixways said:
Whats your recording set up? I thought it sounded pretty damn good.

Drums:
Kick - AKG D112
Snare - SM57
Toms - SM58
OH - MXL 991

Guitar:
Electric - Schecter C1 > 5150 > Jackson cab > SM57

Bass:
Ibanez Ergodyne into a Tech 21 Bass Driver direct.

Vocals - SP B1

All of those went into a Behringer DDX3216 which went into a Terratec Phase88 which went into Cubase.

sushi-mon said:
First, it takes balls for people to post their stuff here for criticisms. Give yourself some credit, it is a good sounding song.

Also, you may never be satisfied. My last band spent almost 10 grand to record and release an album. It actually is pretty good and I am very proud of it, but I am still going to go back in a re-mix it. Mostly for my own education, and now I can take a lot more time to get it mixed better with my own Pro-tools rig.

My point being, you are always going to not quite get exactly what you want. A lot of artists flinch when they hear their early material, while their fans drool over it. But we all learn from it, and apply the knowledge gained to your next gig, song, or album.

Sush

Yea, I know what you mean. I just really feel that we can do better than this.

I LOVE criticism. It's a great thing.

Good pop-rock tune, it's catchy and drums drive it along well. Good reference to cruisin' by Tim. I agree that the guitars are a little hot and could use a touch of lower mids/bass. Cool dual guitar ending - THAT would add a lot if you put it in more often (just my .02). Drums were mixed very well as mentioned.... Reminds me of Green Day a bit... Good Tune!

around 1:20 the song starts losing its vibe/energy, i didn't notice that i had stopped paying attention until the little blast at 1:47. i'd maybe change the words on the chorus on the outro? eh but then again i totally hate repeated choruses.
fucking good song though, i really like it!

Back