The POD

coolasvanillaic

Yo,

Does anybody use the POD to record guitar? I recently just took it out of my setup when I bought a Peavey 5150. Wow! What a difference! Tube amps sound so good, I cant believe it. I used to deny their great sound, but now Im an advocate.

Anyway, I still use the POD to record stuff on my computer and I dunno, it just doesnt sound that good... Does anyone that use it get any good recordings from it. Maybe Im just not using it right. I havent spent that much time with the Emagic software that comes with it. Is that where my tone is lacking or is it just the plain ole POD?

If anybody has any good tips on how to record with it, please reply!

Peace,

Matt

Been using a POD pro for about a year and love it to bits ! I’m not in a situation where I can get those tubes saturated (well not with out finding a legal way of having my neighbors stuffed) so pod it is !

I’ve never had any sort of problem with it, even just using the presets.

Have you tried different axes through it, I can here a big difference between my strats, LP and PRS

Later
S

One thing to keep in mind is that sitting in front of a real tube amp is not the same as a recorded tube amp in a mix. Maybe the POD doesn't have that depth and "awe" compared straight up to the 5150, but I bet you can get equally good recorded tones with POD compared to the 5150.

That's very true JR, also try playing the amp with the Pod as a distortion box. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

BTW, I also got very tired of the Pod even for recording...it just grates on my ears after a while. The recorded sound is fine I just didn't have any fun getting there. I gave it away and never looked back.

I love my Trademark 10.

I've been using a Johnson J-Station for recording. A similar animal to the POD, but with different strengths and weaknesses.
Right out of the box, the Fender Blackface and Rectifier presets of the J-Station are to die for. However, I think POD does a better job with Marshall crunch-type sounds. J-Station also includes some bass presets, which is pretty convenient if you're a one-man-band guitarist-bassists on a budget!

I agree that not all sounds are convincing, but it's hard to beat the flexibility this type of box provides. That's unless you happen to have a dozen different amps sitting around and no neighbors or family to complain when you turn them up.

I've used a POD for about 2 years and a J-Station for about 1 year. I get very acceptable recorded tracks and I have had very seasoned guitar cats (who had owened many of the modeled amps) comment on how accurate the modeled sound is.

I do most of my recording at night - thus blowing air though a tube amp is not practical - to me the POD & J-Station are incredible recording tools.

However, that being said, as my guitar skills have increased (my main axes are drums & keys) and as I learn more about getting "good tone" (which it seems is a lifetime goal) I have accepted the fact that a well mic'd tube amp is the ultimate sound (I have an old low wattage Champ) - if you can manage the volumn.

But - I still like my models!!!!

I have been using a J-station as well for the past two years. As has been discussed ad nauseum, the J and POD and other modellers tend to do a good job on clean and heavily distorted sounds, but that slight breakup in the middle is so hard to get. I have recorded with it, I like it, it sounds good BUT, I just bought a Garnet Mohawk 10W tube amp that blows the fucking J-station away. If the J is good, this thing is heaven.

A brand new 12" 1951 Celestion speaker (sitting in a box for 50 years), 6L6 and 12AX7 tubes, one knob for volume, one for tone, and footswitchable treble boost. Handmade by Gar Gillies, and signed by him (the man who created Garnet amps), 6 of these in existence. For a steal of CDN $350 from someone who didn't know what they had.

I will continue to use the J for some of my recording, and for the late night thing, it is great. For my bass modelling, it is the tool I use. It also serves as the FX unit for my new amp, with cabinet and amp modelling off. I also want to experiment with different combos of models in front of the real tube amp.

I won't disagree that PODS and Js are great little tools, but the real thing, the real tube amp, it is amazing what it can do, and the sound is so much better. It makes you so much better a guitarist, because it is so sensitive to your playing dynamics and attack, infinitely more sensitive than the J was.

Back