The perfect Mic.

Nick_Black

Mirthmaker
I supose this question has been asked a hundred times b4...

but is there any mic that catches the sound, pretty much eggsactly the way it's produced, that upon playback, it sounds like your listening to the instoment before bieng recorded.

is there such a thing?

sorry if this question sounds stupid...

Nick_Black

I think someone actually asked a similar question a week or two ago, to the tune of "Is there one mic that works on every source".

The short answer is "no" - but there are some go-to mics that sound at least decent on most any source.

Search around :D

Well, in my collection and experience which is admittedly limited, the AKG 414 comes damn close. It sort of has a 'spotlight' quality to the sound but it's pretty damn accurate from what I can tell.

that's a nice chart for relative comparisons, but hardly a comprehensive list of microphones and it's a chart that has a great deal of inherent subjectivity.

in terms of the op's question about a mic that will catch/transduce sound the way it is produced in the room, that would be hard because the sound will sound different depending on where the sound is being observed from (phase, reflections, etc.) and depending on differences between how a mic transduces sound and how a person's set of ears would (both obviously in terms of mechanical vs. biological, but also material of the membrane that captures the vibrations, the path of the sound waves to the membrane and countless other factors).

one thing that might get a little closer would be one of those anatomically correct binaural head mics, which would at least ostensibly recreate the path of sound to the listener's ears (the physical aspects of the ear canal, the stereo field, maybe the density of the material surrounding the ear canal, etc.), but it would again, be influenced by so many other factors.

the way we perceive sound or any stimuli is an interpretation of reality that is limited by our ability to take in sensory information and interpret it in our brains-- it is very limited, superficial and inherently flawed. similar in the way that looking at the thermometer and reading a temperature doesn't capture all the aspects of heat.

reference omnis

Hi,

I think the closest thing to what you are describing would be a stereo pair of reference omnis.

EV RE55 - dynamic reference omni
Behri ECM8000 - condenser reference omni

You can get a similar sound but without the exactitude with any good omnis with extended frequency response. Like the Naiant mics, MSH1 omnis.

Place two of these mics out in the room. Record. Play them back on a hifi stereo. It will sound pretty close to the way it sounded in the room.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

as much as i agree with hairy larry that, ime (imle) sdc omni reference condensers/dynamics can be very 'accurate' microphones, i struggle with having the behringer ecm8000 as a top 2 candidates to satisfy the op's inquiry about the "perfect mic" :p :D

Better than perfect!

as much as i agree with hairy larry that, ime (imle) sdc omni reference condensers/dynamics can be very 'accurate' microphones, i struggle with having the behringer ecm8000 as a top 2 candidates to satisfy the op's inquiry about the "perfect mic" :p :D

Kojdogg,

I own neither the ecm8000 or the re55 so I can't recommend them. They are both, however, reference omnis.

I think the point being missed in looking for this perfect mic is that although reference omnis do their best at accurately capturing the sounds presented, which was the actual criteria stated, there are many mics better for recording.

Better than perfect!

That's because we are not usually looking for perfection in our reproduction but something much harder to obtain, a pleasing or good sound. Sometimes reference omnis are the right tool for this but usually not. Usually a more pleasing sound is obtained with a less perfect mic.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

What you want is an omni-directional reference mic.

Earthworks, Stapes, T.H.E, and even Audix make some very respectable omni-directional reference mics.

For ultra-cheap but noisy, you can also pick up those Naiant thingies or even a Behringer ECM-8000.

What you want is an omni-directional reference mic.

Earthworks, Stapes, T.H.E, and even Audix make some very respectable omni-directional reference mics.

For ultra-cheap but noisy, you can also pick up those Naiant thingies or even a Behringer ECM-8000.

that's two nods for the behringer ecm-8000... it is emerging as a prime contender for "the perfect mic" :eek: :D

Kojdogg,

I own neither the ecm8000 or the re55 so I can't recommend them. They are both, however, reference omnis.

I think the point being missed in looking for this perfect mic is that although reference omnis do their best at accurately capturing the sounds presented, which was the actual criteria stated, there are many mics better for recording.

Better than perfect!

That's because we are not usually looking for perfection in our reproduction but something much harder to obtain, a pleasing or good sound. Sometimes reference omnis are the right tool for this but usually not. Usually a more pleasing sound is obtained with a less perfect mic.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

I'm totally with you on this HL- you answered the question that was asked. I also agree that Nick asked the wrong question - once he "hears" what a reference mic gives him he'll be back to rephrase his question.

BTW- it's neither, "Nor":D

Kojdogg,

Better than perfect!

Thanks,

Hairy Larry
behringer ecm-8000= "Better than perfect!" :D

seriously though Hairy Larry, once again, I agree with you completely man :D

Well, Nick basically stated his expectations ... and very clearly defined his parameters for what he would define as "perfect" for recording his "instoment." :D

And based on his criteria and definition of what he considers perfect, the omni reference mics come about the closest. What he'll hear will be the god's-honest truth ... in all of it's ugly glory. :D

part of the criteria was "that upon playback, it sounds like your listening to the instoment before bieng recorded."
so you're really looking for the perfect mic plus the perfect playback system? perhaps the behringer ecm-8000 and then monitors of a similar caliber? :D
the serious point being that whatever you listen to the playback on will also have a considerable effect on the sound.

Back