The Perfect 10

badassmak

Herbi-Whore
Having recently purchased a Perfect 10, it came with standard E tuning. Does anybody have any experience with dropping these things down to say...standard C tuning?

Well, now, that's an unusual-looking guitar.

Like a 12-string, except that only the DGBA strings are doubled?

I don't think that it'd be much different than tuning any guitar or bass down. You'll want to make the necessary compensation in neck relief to account for the reduced tension from the strings, you might have to look into using a different (heavier) gauge of string, and you might have to play with the action/string height to make sure that the new setup will be as free from buzz/fret noise as possible.

I have a tough enough time getting a 6-string set up to my liking, so I'd suggest just taking it to a good guitar tech and let him do the setup. He'll be better equipped to do it quickly and accurately.

From the looks of the reviews I've read about the Perfect 10, lowering the tuning might actually be a good thing since its a little tough to get that highest string (the high octave G string) up to pitch without it breaking due to the stress. Geez, buying strings for that thing is going to be a pain in the ass!

So let me get this straight. It's like a 12-string but without the high octave strings on the low E and A strings? Kinda like Zaphod stated, minus the typo? I guess that allows for riffing but still allows for 12-string effects for solos and accents? Interesting. Ugly as sin (like the whole BC Rich catalog) but interesting nontheless :)

I knew someone with a 10-string a long time ago.

I thought his had the doubles on the E-A-D-G strings, leaving the high B and E as singles.

When I played with him, he just had it strung up as a normal 6.

Don't know if it's the same guit or not, but I think it may have been a BC Rich.

The BC Rich Bich Perfect 10

So far it lives up to it's name I'd say, but it's only been one weekend :D.

It is strung the same as a 12 string, except the E & A strings are single.

There are a variety of knobs and switches that will keep me tonally busy for awhile. I'd say this thing is pretty wicked versatile.

I do plan on taking it to a real guitar tech for setup, have the C in mind, but am not sure how the guitar would react. I will definitely heavy up the gauge of string, and perhaps get a new nut, with slots closer together. Bending stuff is pretty easy as it is actually, surprisingly so, but the low down single finger action bit isn't happening for me just yet.

This was a bit of an impulse buy, however I have been interested in getting one anyway, it just happened to show up at that store and I was there at the same time :rolleyes:. This was a bad weekend for me as I also picked up an Ibanez 7 string, used but in great shape for aboot 3 hun.

They can be strung as a 1-10 really if you wanted, I might leave it as a 9.

But then again I already have a 9, in the form of my Samick acoustic.

Buying strings=just buy lots. I figure in C I won't be blowing so many out, for example, tuning the G.

Plus it's just heavier.

Thanks for the replies! I know somebody out there has had to have had one of these though.

Very cool lookin guit-fiddle. I dig the styling of it. Especially where they put the other 4 tuning heads.

I'd think it'd be a bit weird for attempting to do leads.

Hell, I'm always lookin to add to my arsenal. ;)

Back