the opus - walk in the sun

shadowfax

hey guys. this is my friend's band recording in my basement on the gear i bought this summer. there are a couple blatant mistakes like rough transitions from part to part, the wierd change in terms of the guitar sound from the first part to the fast part, etc, but hey! it's my first recording/production/mix and i dont think it's that terrible for a bunch of 18 year olds to have done on their own.
indeed, i am a complete newbie. so, aside from those blatant mistakes (which have to do with tracking moreso than anything i can change right now) please give me advice on things to change to make it sound better; my ears are not very well developed for this sort of thing.

this was tracked with:

sennheiser md441u
mxl603s
sm57
d112

to..

mackie cr1606 / m audio dmp3

to..

cooledit

and mixed on..

yorkville ysm1p

enjoy! (hopefully)

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=2030/singles

P.S. since i'm totally inept in this respect, i didn't apply any EQ. i expect there will be a fair amount of criticism concerning that... in fact i'm depending on it to improve the mix.

Not bad for your earliest recording. I find the sound to be kinda muffled. That's the EQ thing you mentioned. It could use a small boost in the highs....maybe around 3k and again at about 10 or 12k. Just something to try. I like the song...is this yours? It has a Pink Floyd vibe. I'm a big Floyd fan so I'm gonna be embarrassed if it turns out to be one of theirs. :)
I really like the vibe and the performance isn't bad. I hear the awkward places you mentioned but so what? That's what time and practice fix. Who's singing?

I definitely think there is some potential here and for your first offering this isn't bad at all. I look forward to hearing what you're doing after a year of hanging around here. ;)

It's rare that I hear a 2:00 minutute instrumental intro without wanting it to have vocals...but this doesn't need 'em for the majority of the song. And where they do exist, they're cool.

Quite a ride...Right out of the gates I was thinking "Pink Floyd," then somewhere along the route I got transported like into Old "YES," then back to Floyd with the vocals.

Negatives - I can't help you fix this, but the whole mix is really "woofy," and Participant will help you with that. I thought the stereo field was fine; you're just gonna' have to cut some hi-lows, I think - which, again, I'm not qualified to speak to.

p.s. Don't get bummed if people compare this to P.F. It's different. I liked this a ton.

Fuck, I wish I'd started recording at 18...or 28 even.

Later,
Chris

very cool tune... I like it a lot.. listen to Lt. Bob and you'll be alright..

nice Pink Floyd vibe.. :)

thank you everyone for the positive replies.

lt.bob: the tune was written by the band, but i played some of the bass, since they dont have a bassist. the vocals are five tracks of the two guitarists singing into an mxl603 in my bathroom. nothing sounded good alone, but just to see what it sounded like we tried the best five tracks together and it worked nicely.. a natural chorus, and a little reverb thanks to tiles, i guess. i panned them 50l, 25l, center, 25r and 50r. i think it sounds pretty cool :) what do you think? I was aware something was awry with EQ... i couldn't get them to do what i'd suggest in terms of guitar tones; they had a fender vibrolux, fender hotrod and marshall avt50 at their disposal but chose instead to play through this little half-rack effects box by roland through a PA, and could never remember what tones they were using... *shrug*

everyone else: yeah, they're big pink floyd fans :)

Not a bad job. Good dynamics. Simple but effective harmonies. Some cool bass lines going on.

Agree with Lt. that at least some tracks are muffled and could use some life. Try his EQing suggestions, or maybe retracking. One lead guit part was panned prett hard left - maybe bring it slightly back toward center.

On a couple of spots the vocals have small syncing issues - where voices didn't enter or drop off at the same time. Most noticable on sibilant sounds.

Good job. Somewhere Roger Waters is smiling :D.

Back