The Old Tone Thread

Okie dokie. Let's see if the attachments will work today.

Attachments

• Cajun Woman.mp3
    4.7 MB · Views: 35
Thanky kindly. It's a Schecter (i.e.Sammick) PT Custom with the neck pup in humbucker straight into the Ampeg. Volume of the amp at about a 3, the treble control has a boost/bypass/whatever position on the pot that's engaged and the bass is at halfmast. Mic'ed witha Shure 545 thru a DBX386. Reverb here is out of a Lexicon but the reverb in the amp is killer, as is the trem. That's the little fill leads.
The Main lead is the same setup but I made a small mod to the Ampeg. I put the negative feedback section on a footswitch so I can lift it. It gives the amp a bit more gain and dirt.

Last edited:
I wuz married to a dark eyed cajun woman from Donaldsonville La. (I'm from La.) ...... she was hot as hell .............. and insane and violent. :eek:

Played that song many times ..... good job on it ..... I'm finding the bass too prominent but I have just gotten in from a gig. The rest of it is nice ...... solo sound is nice for sure. That's that Ampeg? Gemini wasn't it?

Nice.
I have 4 old Ampegs but they're all in the V series.
Nice sound Track Rat and good singing.

Old tone for me is when you just get together with some mates in and old barn and rip the shit out of some old tunes. Too much stuff is way over thought with too much tinkering with what the guys have been playing.

This is Old school. Four guys jamming in a barn with some beers. One mic each and mixed down onto a PC in one take. Lots of bleeding over. Played too loud Half an hour balancing to two tracks, done. Just like the old days. I just get bored tinkering with tunes for too long and trying to get all the rough edges out. Often they need leaving in. Lets just hear the guys playing. None of us are or want to be Steely Dan...:)

I've cut it short for brevity. That tune just goes on and on....

Attachments

• spooky June12 MDEES.mp3
    6.3 MB · Views: 27
I have a '70 Fender Musicmaster (original speaker and tubes - one has a crack on the center plastic post though so it won't sit right - I think I have a groove tube in that spot) - about as simple as they come, 6V6s (yep, not the higher power version), just one gain stage, but it sounds sweet and really complements whatever gear I have plugged into it.

As far as guitars go, my electrics are all too new to qualify I think (80s, 90s and one that is likely from the past decade), but I picked up what I reckon is a 60s parlor steel string - kinda reminiscent of the Oscar Schmidts and other "bargain" makers of the time, all solid wood I believe (I know the top is), and the tone out of that thing is incredible. Put a slide on my finger and you'd think the thing had been playing delta blues since the Great Depression. The cheap brand labels are long gone, but at $15, it's one of the best sounding (not loudest, but not too low either) acoustics I've ever had the pleasure to play. Action's a little high, but I usually end up preferring highish action and heavyish strings so I can really beat on them without being completely buzzy.

Of my electrics, I have a 90s (I think) Fernandez Tele-style axe that by some unlikely and inexplicable circumstance has a neck pickup that reminds me of some pretty classic Tele lipstick pickups. Just gorgeous. And the bridge pickup (humbucker, it has 2 singles and that) that's hot enough to play pretty heavy stuff on it. the pots and 1/4" jack are a bit lacking but it sounds and plays great.

Old tone for me is when you just get together with some mates in and old barn and rip the shit out of some old tunes. Too much stuff is way over thought with too much tinkering with what the guys have been playing.

This is Old school. Four guys jamming in a barn with some beers. One mic each and mixed down onto a PC in one take. Lots of bleeding over. Played too loud Half an hour balancing to two tracks, done. Just like the old days. I just get bored tinkering with tunes for too long and trying to get all the rough edges out. Often they need leaving in. Lets just hear the guys playing. None of us are or want to be Steely Dan...:)

nice hearing ya' play man ........is that the aformentioned Tele thru a Princeton? Sounds good.

nice hearing ya' play man ........is that the aformentioned Tele thru a Princeton? Sounds good.

That was thru a beat up Roland Bolt. Fits the spontaneous nature of the Jam as far I see it. I tend to gig with the Princeton. The Bolt lives in the Barn..

I loves me some Teles. I gotta 71' I'm pretty fond of. REAL nice jam there sir Mutt.
The tune I posted was recorded at our "Club House", an old factory that we have access to. It's pretty much a live jam that I went back to (it was multitracked) and sweetened with the lead fills. The bass IS a problem on this one as I just threw a D-112 in front of his amp and went with it. Listening back now on real monitors, it sounds REAL wooly and it's hard to get it to sit down in the mix. I'm doing all kinds of VooDoo now to get it to behave.

I loves me some Teles. I gotta 71' I'm pretty fond of. REAL nice jam there sir Mutt.
The tune I posted was recorded at our "Club House", an old factory that we have access to. It's pretty much a live jam that I went back to (it was multitracked) and sweetened with the lead fills. The bass IS a problem on this one as I just threw a D-112 in front of his amp and went with it. Listening back now on real monitors, it sounds REAL wooly and it's hard to get it to sit down in the mix. I'm doing all kinds of VooDoo now to get it to behave.

Just leave it. It sounds fine. Move on..

I had a '65 Princeton Reverb, it's a nice amp.

Nice singing1
7511788530_306e956d61_t.jpg

Nice! Were you using the 57 strat you mentioned?

I'm just wondering...is the Old Tone Thread now the new tone thread and the New Tone Thread the old tone thread? I posted a day ago on the New Tone Thread and no one has posted since which seems odd for a thread that was quite active. Haven't had a chance to read through the Old Tone Thread, took me two nights to read through the New Tone Thread. Guess I've got some reading to do, but with only 4 pages the Old Tone Thread shouldn't take me as long as the New Tone Thread.

Back