The New Tone Thread

The OCD has SO much boost and gain and clipping it could be that all of the dynamics are taken away and you're left with a flat, lifeless tone with no punch. That's what it seemed like to me.

But in front of a clean channel it works really well if that's how you wanna get your dirt.

The OCD has SO much boost and gain and clipping it could be that all of the dynamics are taken away and you're left with a flat, lifeless tone with no punch. That's what it seemed like to me.

But in front of a clean channel it works really well if that's how you wanna get your dirt.

Possibly - I did later have a play with it with the level a bit lower and it had the same effect of tightening stuff up but wasn't quite so mental (it wasn't a good time to record though). It sounds fucking awesome in the room with the level maxed though.

Gonna have to remove my DS1 from my pedal board at Christmas.... sad times.

I fiddled with the DS1 for the first time in ages the other night (its been sitting on my board dormant since I was last playing live), it does sound a bit shit.

From Christmas by board will be Tuner>CryBaby>OCD>SD1>Chorus>Flanger>Phaser>Tremelo>Delay.

I never use the Tremelo though so that will probably be getting swapped out too; I used to use it for one song live; I actually only used the DS1 for one song live too.

I fiddled with the DS1 for the first time in ages the other night (its been sitting on my board dormant since I was last playing live), it does sound a bit shit.

From Christmas by board will be Tuner>CryBaby>OCD>SD1>Chorus>Flanger>Phaser>Tremelo>Delay.

I never use the Tremelo though so that will probably be getting swapped out too; I used to use it for one song live; I actually only used the DS1 for one song live too.

As your ears become more experienced and refined, you are noticing that the DS1 is garbage. Congrats. You're moving on up! :D

SD-1 - killer
DS-1 - poop

As your ears become more experienced and refined, you are noticing that the DS1 is garbage. Congrats. You're moving on up! :D

SD-1 - killer
DS-1 - poop

Haha, the DS1 has its place... the HM2 on the other-hand doesn't. I haven't found a use for that yet.

I'm considering un-retiring the Marshall Jackhammer but I just can't think of a reason to. I've not used it since I got my new amp. I'm not sure I need 4 different OD sounds either.

I know your live set up is probably super-basic, but what's your pedal chain like at home/studio?

Haha, the DS1 has its place... the HM2 on the other-hand doesn't. I haven't found a use for that yet.

I'm considering un-retiring the Marshall Jackhammer but I just can't think of a reason to. I've not used it since I got my new amp. I'm not sure I need 4 different OD sounds either.

I know your live set up is probably super-basic, but what's your pedal chain like at home/studio?

My pedalboard is actually quite obscene and way ridiculous for my style of guitar tone and playing. I really don't need any of it. People that know me see it on stage and are like "WTF Greg!" It looks like something some shred loser might use. There is a method to my madness though. I have 4 guitars and 5 amps to choose from that I use depending on my mood that day for that gig. So my pedalboard is set up to work with any of those guitars/amps at any given time. I just keep everything on one pedalboard and just cuz it's there doesn't mean I'm always using it.

So my chain is...
Guitar > Polytune > Boss SD-1 > Tube Screamer > Boss BF-3 Flanger > Boss TR-2 Tremolo > MXR Phase 90 > Dunlop Crybaby 535Q.

The back effects loop row that I rarely use has an MXR 10 band EQ an a TC Flashback Delay.

I notice the Boss flanger ...... I know you were looking for something that sounded comparable to the Russ.
Does it?

No. I've had that Boss flanger for a long time. It's merely adequate and that's all. The Ross kills it. KILLS IT! But the Ross is also the size of 4 pedals, so it's not on the board. I don't use a flanger enough to really worry about it. But one day I'll find a space and place for the Ross and be in flanger glory.

yeah ...... in a beehive. :D

haha, that's actually quite a good one, Bob. Can you have a listen to that previous tone of mine (labelled OCD) and see if you can put your finger on what's wrong - although I think I've worked it out.

Greg, aside from the EQ, your set of pedals is pretty similar to mine. I always stick the wah at the front though.

No. I've had that Boss flanger for a long time. It's merely adequate and that's all. The Ross kills it. KILLS IT! But the Ross is also the size of 4 pedals, so it's not on the board. I don't use a flanger enough to really worry about it. But one day I'll find a space and place for the Ross and be in flanger glory.

I've got the Danelectro Fab Flange... its great on those rare occasions that you want to sound like you're in a fish-tank.

Normally you think of pedals in terms of how transparent they are - this is probably the most opaque pedal I own - its a very dirty fish-tank.

Its a habit from using a lot of hard clipped distortion pedals. I like to have the wah in front of them.

The 535Q has it's own boost built in, if you want it, so engaging the wah with the boost engaged takes away the need for any additional pedal boost. That little red button in the pic is the boost. I usually have it off.

Heya tone turkeys. Been a busy last little while for me, more lay offs at work has left me busy. Which is good. Also frightening that there aren't many more people to lay off if things carry on like this. Family here as well for the holidays.

I have nothing to contribute.

But i miss all the bullshit and shennanigans. I hope you all have a rad holidays and you get some cool stuffs under your respective trees. Or candleholders or whatever it is you choose to be cheery with.

Heya tone turkeys. Been a busy last little while for me, more lay offs at work has left me busy. Which is good. Also frightening that there aren't many more people to lay off if things carry on like this. Family here as well for the holidays.

I have nothing to contribute.

But i miss all the bullshit and shennanigans. I hope you all have a rad holidays and you get some cool stuffs under your respective trees. Or candleholders or whatever it is you choose to be cheery with.

Hang in there bro. It's dicey!

Merry Christmas to you and the little missus. When yall coming back down here?

I've only plugged in once in the last 2 months - I look forward to making some noise soon.
A cool yule to y'all or something like that.

Gretsch Silver Sparkle Jet....or whatever they're called. I really like the look and style of these guitars. I've always admired them. The other day I finally handled a few of them. Holy shit, their heel is even worse than a Les Paul's. Unplayable for me. I guess I can cross those off my wish list.

Back