The New Tone Thread

OP, is your preference Gtr/Amp tone only or in a mix?

Yeah...it's not always the same.
By itself, you often want a nice rich/thick tone...but in a mix you might dail things back and/or roll things off to get the right tone, even if alone it might not sound as good.

OP, is your preference Gtr/Amp tone only or in a mix?

Hi Sonixx,
We're just looking at tone.
I think isolated tone tracks are the preference.
A point is made to try to be non-judgemental about skill, technique or style as well.
Mixes are still perfectly fine, I think a lot of tone depends on context.

Last edited:
To be fair, the original thread was started in the Cave by another member as a tribute to "Tone to Die For."
The first post waxed eloquent about Guitar Demi-God Mick Ronson who played for David Bowie in his early heyday.
It was old school tone for tone's sake, and it was presented in context.

Not to mention that Randy Rhoads - a bonafide legend of guitar playing - completely copied Ronson from top to bottom. Randy Rhoads was a little mini Ronson clone with better chops.

Not to mention that Randy Rhoads - a bonafide legend of guitar playing - completely copied Ronson from top to bottom. Randy Rhoads was a little mini Ronson clone with better chops.

lol, he was a great player too.
Now if we can just get the other Randy to post in our thread again. :D

I was thinking about Mick Ronson when I was screwing around last night.
I recorded it at the end of practice and I couldn't push the strings anymore,
so it's a tad flat.

My fingers hurt.

Saying "A lot of amp sims demonstrate that playing the guitar with the guitar's volume turned down halfway results in clean notes, and pleasing distortion is introduced when the guitar is turned up full. This tone example demonstrates that a sensitive amp will also respond favorably based just on picking intensity."

is an upside-down way to say it. Amp sims behave like that because they are trying to simulate that characteristic of real amps! The way you said that makes it sound like amp sims invented that behavior and real amps can copy it

I think I was trying to say that a well executed modeler should be able to translate pick dynamics in similar fashion to a real tube amp.
Sorry if my original post was unclear.
Get your 10 posts and post up some tone.

Hey tone thread.

So here is the original tone check:

Here is the revision:

And here is another one that i just made that i have sort of fallen in love with. I may end up using this one frequently weather anyone likes it or not. I just like it.

That may be the best description of RR I've ever heard. Imagine where he would be now. Damn shame.

I mean he even looked just like Ronson. I was watching that old Bowie concert with my lead guitarist who lives and breathes all things Randy Rhoads and he was pointing out every little move and facial expression that Ronson did that Randy later copied. It was funny.

Picked up an Orange VT100 (edit - TH100. shtt.) today to use for back-up now that I'm sort of gigging again. They didn't have an Orange 4x12, but they did have a used Marshall 1960B so I got that. The Orange sounds pretty good, but I'm still learning it.

What that also means is that for the first time since 1986 when I bought it, I can run my JCM800 (now out of the shop) as a full stack - the cabs aren't on top of one another but are a few feet apart side by side. HOLY SHIT!!! I think there's a little phasing going on, but it makes it sound better. Not sure how to record it - I guess I'd need at least one mic for each cab. If I use ribbons, I should be able to get the void pointed at the other cab.

Last edited:
Hi Shan,
I would like to hear what others think, but I'm with you, the third one is my favorite.

The first one is most easily heard to be a sim, the second is definitely an improvement,
it has more bite, I can hear the strings better. But the third has got a much more raw edge,
those are some pretty convincing downstrokes.

The Hiwatt is one my favorite sims in my modeler as well.
I'll try to post something up in a similar vein.

Pretty cool, thanks for posting it all up!

I mean he even looked just like Ronson. I was watching that old Bowie concert with my lead guitarist who lives and breathes all things Randy Rhoads and he was pointing out every little move and facial expression that Ronson did that Randy later copied. It was funny.

That's some funny shit, Greg.

Ronson is a def ornament to those he worked with.
His playing & arranging for Bowie, ditto for Ian Hunter, were big parts of the SOUND that made them classics.
& his tone was pretty much based on the simplest combination of good stuff.
Pity his solo albums didn't have the same star quality - if DB & IH had sung on them, or provided good songs...
On the other hand they SOUND good.
Those compare & contrast videos certainly make a believer of sceptics BUT they're too fast, furious & with too many variations to really help with selection.
I'm still working on mic placement & preamp combos with regard to my Marshall.
I have a tone that is signature for my stuff (thin, jangly, single coil open chords, manic hamonics ), but I need a good meaty break up tone to play over/accentuate the riffs without burying the jangle so I'm stalking Greg's tone comments all over the site.

Back