The New Tone Thread

Alritey ..... here's the Marshall 6101 combo.
Mine came with the custom EV 12" that they used the first year. But currently I have a Mesa Black Shadow which is a Celestion of some sort.

In my usual way I ran and did this during commercials while wifey and I were watching Face Off and a few shows on the DVR so it's quick and nasty.
I have one clip with it in triode mode and one in pentode mode .... I prefer triode and actually cut the higher gain section short in the pentode clip but after listening to the tape perhaps I might reconsider that.

Anyways .... both clips have all three channels on them .... no footswitch ... I just reached over and pressed a button.

So each one starts with the clean channel .... then goes to crunch and then to a solo voice with higher gain.
Put my Tascam DR-05 on a chair about 3 feet in front of the amp and used the built-in mics.

PENT-ALL is pentode mode, obviously. It goes to channel 2 at about a minute and channel 3 briefly at 1:26.
CLEANCRUNCHDIRTY is the triode setting ..... starts in channel 1 .... goes to channel 2 around :44 and channel 3 at 1:28.

Has quite a nice clean sound ..... very country to my surprise .... or surfy if I dialed it in some and added 'verb.

I may gig it next week just for the hell of it.
Haha awesome. I like both clips. Both sound pretty good. I think I like Pentode better though. It seems to have better headroom. That clean is super clean. The used the 6100 clean for the the JVM Satriani clean channel.

I recently picked up an Epiphone Les Paul 100 and a Gibson case. I really just wanted the case but he made me buy the guitar with it. I got it dirt cheap so I can't complain.
It's all stock and in good condition. Here is a clip that I made using the same dual flanger setup that I used in my last clip. [I was feeling far too lazy to rewire shit]

View attachment 94360

Sounds good dude. Thick and flangey. :)

Clean is very pretty Lt. Bob.
The break up on the 2nd one is cool but a bit piercing on single high notes.

In general the good ones aren't cheap although there's one that's acceptable by Behringer.

RotoChoir by Tech 21 is nice for a little over 200 bucks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYrd_c9emXw

Hammond makes a great one but it's $400.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPxGAi5nYFo

Behringer's RM600 rotary machine is passable .... I have one and it sounds pretty good for 55 bucks .... it's WAY flimsy But if you just want the effect for occasional recordings then it would do and that's why I have one.
They might be discontinued but you can still find them last time I looked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rAd-SDfns4

Strymon makes one .... so does Boss ...... there's one called RotoSim that's excellent and the one that's considered by many to be the best is the Neo Instruments Ventilator although it's not impressing me in this clip comparing a bunch of leslie pedals.
In fact, in this shootout clip the one I like best is the RotoChoir.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY4-jqXGbxo

Last edited:
In general the good ones aren't cheap although there's one that's acceptable by Behringer.

RotoChoir by Tech 21 is nice for a little over 200 bucks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYrd_c9emXw

Hammond makes a great one but it's $400.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPxGAi5nYFo

Behringer's RM600 rotary machine is passable .... I have one and it sounds pretty good for 55 bucks .... it's WAY flimsy But if you just want the effect for occasional recordings then it would do and that's why I have one.
They might be discontinued but you can still find them last time I looked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rAd-SDfns4

Strymon makes one .... so does Boss ...... there's one called RotoSim that's excellent and the one that's considered by many to be the best is the Neo Instruments Ventilator although it's not impressing me in this clip comparing a bunch of leslie pedals.
In fact, in this shootout clip the one I like best is the RotoChoir.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY4-jqXGbxo

Hmmm, its actually for live use. The album version was recorded by a guitarist using real Leslies! I've got a digital Leslie effect that I really like in Gearbox but I can't think of a way of getting that to work live.

Its probably easier to just not bother with a Leslie and add a touch of tremelo and/or chorus to it so it'll sound a bit more weird and spacey.

Hmmm, its actually for live use. .
then I think I'd go for the Tech 21 RotoChoir.
This is actually something I've researched a bit and the RotoChoir always impresses me and eventually I'll get one.

But 200 bucks might be more than you wanna pay for something that might only get occasional use.

However, personally, if I have a leslie pedal on stage I use it a LOT!!

But I don't trust the Behringer to not break.
The pedal part doesn't even have screws for hinges. It's just a piece of the pedal that's melted to hold it in place! :laughings:

But I don't trust the Behringer to not break.
The pedal part doesn't even have screws for hinges. It's just a piece of the pedal that's melted to hold it in place! :laughings:

That's Behri for you. It's like someone said "the design that we stole is great. But how can me make it noisier and less reliable?"

That's Behri for you. It's like someone said "the design that we stole is great. But how can me make it noisier and less reliable?"
hahahaha!

Yeah, this hinge is the crappiest thing I've ever seen ..... they had to actually think hard to come up with such a dumb idea.
I can fix it, of course ...... but I kinda like to revel in its crappiness!

Hey Boob, lookie what I got my hands on....

I haven't played with it yet, but I'm pretty excited to try it out. It's on loan from a guy I know with three of them. :D

Just a quick note to say that I fucking hate learning other people's solos. Particularly ones that they probably adlibbed first time around but they happen to sound cool.

awesome!!

He has THREE of 'em?

What else he got? :D

Yeah dude, three of them - two are broken. He's the drummer in my guitar-gig band and he has piles of 70s weirdo pedals and stuff. He likes that shit. Literally, piles. He has boxes overflowing with weird effects stuff. He also owns those 8x10 cabs I've been using live. He likes that odd 70s shit. Anyway, I'm not sure what he has because I see the piles every time we practice, but I never go through it. He tells me I can grab and use whatever I want, but I never bother.

I will be commandeering this Ross Flanger though because it is 100% pure fucking bad ass. I will make room on my board for this giant ugly thing. Best flanger I've ever heard by far.

Yeah dude, three of them - two are broken. He's the drummer in my guitar-gig band and he has piles of 70s weirdo pedals and stuff. He likes that shit. Literally, piles. He has boxes overflowing with weird effects stuff. He also owns those 8x10 cabs I've been using live. He likes that odd 70s shit. Anyway, I'm not sure what he has because I see the piles every time we practice, but I never go through it. He tells me I can grab and use whatever I want, but I never bother.

I will be commandeering this Ross Flanger though because it is 100% pure fucking bad ass. I will make room on my board for this giant ugly thing. Best flanger I've ever heard by far.
so you've heard that specific flanger and know it works?

And the broken ones ...... do they come on but just don't flange? 'cause there's a chip that's rareish and people freak 'cause it costs maybe 50 bucks.

But I'd spend 50 bucks if that was what was wrong with a Ross flanger in a second!

I will make room on my board for this giant ugly thing. .
:laughings: it is that .....

so you've heard that specific flanger and know it works?

Yeah, I have it right here with me. I took it home last night after practice. I ran through it for about an hour today.

I don't know what's wrong with his broken ones. I didn't see them. He just told me about them. He probably has them at home.

Yeah, I have it right here with me. I took it home last night after practice. I ran through it for about an hour today.
that's cool ..... when a piece of gear is so awesome you make accommodations for it.

"Man ..... I don't want that ugly thing on my board AND have to get AC to it ..... but it sounds so great I have to."

I love it!

:)

Sweet that the dude had one just hanging around. Do you use a Voodoo Pedal Power? If so, you could plug that AC into the outlet on it. I have yet to find anything to plug into the outlet on mine, since its recessed way in there once its installed on the PedalTrain.

Has he got any 70's amps? Or guitars and/or basses? There's all kinds of stuff I'm looking for.
The only old guitars that he has that I know of are an 80s LP Custom, a Gretsch White Falcon, and couple Gibson ES-somethings. Oh, I think he has a 70s Iceman. He has three 70s Marshall 8x10 cabs. I'm not a huge fan of those cabs, but they look cool as shit, so we use them live. No old amps that I can recall. He has a Bassman head, I don't know what year, but it's modded pretty heavily. He has an original issue Marshall Jubilee head from 87. I think that's his oldest/most valuable amp. Everything else is more modern Marshall and Mesa stuff, and he works for Diamond amps, so our practice room has about 12 mega-gain Diamond heads in it and a bunch of various cabs. I still prefer to use my own stuff.

that's cool ..... when a piece of gear is so awesome you make accommodations for it.

"Man ..... I don't want that ugly thing on my board AND have to get AC to it ..... but it sounds so great I have to."

I love it!

:)
Yeah I'll have to reconfigure my board again. I fucking hate this! :laughings:

Sweet that the dude had one just hanging around. Do you use a Voodoo Pedal Power? If so, you could plug that AC into the outlet on it. I have yet to find anything to plug into the outlet on mine, since its recessed way in there once its installed on the PedalTrain.

No, I use a cheap little SKB powered pedalboard. It'll power 8 pedals. But I keep a power strip with it so plugging in the Ross separately is no big deal.

Back