The New Tone Thread

Its a great looking bass. I bet it sounds deadly. How long do you / did you have it for? Were you able to use it for any of your own stuff?

HA! You guys and your Marshalls. I dunno. It might be a possibility down the road. this orange is on loan for the next foreseeable 16 to 18 years. So i'll have plenty of time to shop around when things pick back up work wise to pair it up with something else. So many great amps out there and so little time.

Ok, after a few hours of giving my ears a break again the sparkle and presence changed ever so subtly. And truth be told it could even just be nothing more than it being marginally louder on the input signal but here is the best i could come up with. Some really gnarly fizz in there too i am going to have to eq out anyways so after doing that i'll chuck in some loftyness too.

Not so much Preamp on the signal in
lilbitta more preamped signal

I think this is just an Orange thing. Especially on the AD30TC I got 5 knobs to tinker with and 30W to work with. I did some looking around on my phone while ignoring one of my more boring friends over a coffee and i think a lot of the more gritty, modern rocky - punky tones i hear on stuff i am a fan of is gotten from the Rockerverb50. I think i can get some nice clean great rock stuff out of this though for some of my more simple raw stuff i have ideas for. And, if Lt. Bob says if he can't get any air from a tiny terror i am confident this is just part of the Orange styling.

I am also kind of curious as to what would happen if i put a 2x12 Cab behind this head as opposed to the 4x12? Is it worth my while to rent one some weekend and try it out? Forgive my ignorance but maybe if the amp is only feeding two speakers it might have a little more power elsewhere? Correct me if i am wrong ?! :confused:

Here's WHY I'm getting one and it ended up being longer than I intended but I ain't editing it :

More and more I'm not using an amp on my single gigs.

I still use one for bands and for the duo, but two summers ago from June 1st to Sept. 15th I did 97 gigs ..... seriously.
And out of those 97 gigs exactly 3 were with bands and maybe 4 or 5 with the duo .... the rest of it is solo.

And on those solo gigs, for a long while I fought it and used one of my getting large collection of small amps.
But really, it just doesn't make any sense.
If I'm on the beach, for example ... I have to use 3 or even 4 speakers to spread the sound all around and get to everyone. Or in a small setting I'll use a single speaker .....
So what happens is everything that gets out to the crowd has to be coming from the PA and when you're a solo no one can go out front to mix it and no, I don't go early to do a soundcheck ..... please, 97 gigs remember? ;)

So if I use an amp it can be VERY difficult to tell if enough or too much guitar is getting out front and to the sides. You're hearing your amp behind you and it's easy to mix the guitar too soft.

But if I use a modeler thru the PA then I hear exactly how the guitar mixes in with the vox and sequences.
not only that, but then no changes need to be made regardless of volume level or number of PA speakers ...... it's always right and that means it's easy.
And it's really important that I get the guitar mixed just right ..... I use sequences (mostly bass and drumbs ) to allow me to do what I do but I always have my git a bit louder than the seq. 'cause that's what I want the audience to hear .... they need to notice I'm playing live shit up there so they don't think of it as karaoke.
But you also don't want it to be so loud it's irritating ..... it's a fine line and a modeler is just easier.

So though originally I'd use a modeler if there was simply no choice ...... it's kinda becoming my preferred thing for the solo gig.
I'm not using them as multifx .... I'm mainly using them as a substitute for an amp.
I will use the fx if I would have used a stompbox with an amp but otherwise they're just my amp.

I never did a solo 'till moving to Florida in 2006 so that's when I first needed something and since I had a POD I tried that ....... horrible ..... still have it though .... but it sucks.
Still, I didn't do that many modeler gigs so who cared?

Then I had some spare money so I got a Rocktron Utopia ..... really crappy switching system but decent sounds and easy to learn on ..... still kinda fizzy though.
But it stranded me in on a gig leaving me to play git direct into a PA channel ....... boooo!

I fixed it ....... did it again so that was it and I bought a little Vox Stomplab (80 bucks) and the little thing was acceptable. Was it as good as ANY of my amps? No .... well, a pretty good clean actually ... but still a bit fizzy in that digital way that sucks sooooooooo bad.
But not too much ..... acceptably decent to where I didn't get bummed out using it.
But it's cheap and lightweight and last week the button to scroll up thru the presets dies and it would only go down meaning I had to scroll down 20 times to get back around! :D
So during the break I programmed the 20 presets to dirthy/clean/dirty/clean etc so all I had to do was hit the down button.

But that means I need something new and the RP 360 is what I decided on ..... demos make me believe it'll be pretty damned good.
And it's small and fairly cheap ..... 150 bucks ...... this is a piece of gear that will sit in the cord box until it quits working and I throw it away!
So I don't want to spend too much.

97 gigs?? Sir. I tip my hat to you. thats rock and roll. Haha.

In that solo mode i can definitely see the beneficial use of a good modeler, Simplifying that set up is something i have never been in the situation of or have i ever had to deal with it. I hope to hear how that works out for you. based only on your words alone it sounds like a fool proof no brainer.

I will high five the nod toward the Vox stomplab and the dismissal of the Pod. I have a pod and it's a love hate relationship. i had looked at that stomp lab a couple times in the past but always just came home to the pod. Will be cool to hear how that digibox works for you.

'Ol Bob's got his shit together boys...
applause.gif

Very smart dude...You obviously work your ass of doing your gigs man, my hat's off to ya, like I've said over & over, you're living the dream, even if you do work your ass off man...

As long as you're happy with it dude, that's all that matters, I'm sure the folks in Margaritaville don't give 2 shits whether you use a real amp or not man....

Post us up some clips of it if/when you get a chance there Bob...Again, my hat's off to ya dude!!!
minions.gif

Its a great looking bass. I bet it sounds deadly. How long do you / did you have it for? Were you able to use it for any of your own stuff?
It does sound killer to me. This might be the most perfect bass I've ever played, and through an Ampeg SVT+8x10...well, it's bowel moving awesome. It plays easy and quick like a guitar but sounds like a bass. Win/win. I haven't tracked anything with it. I'm just playing around with it. I'm giving it back to the guy this friday.

HA! You guys and your Marshalls. I dunno. It might be a possibility down the road. this orange is on loan for the next foreseeable 16 to 18 years. So i'll have plenty of time to shop around when things pick back up work wise to pair it up with something else. So many great amps out there and so little time.

Ok, after a few hours of giving my ears a break again the sparkle and presence changed ever so subtly. And truth be told it could even just be nothing more than it being marginally louder on the input signal but here is the best i could come up with. Some really gnarly fizz in there too i am going to have to eq out anyways so after doing that i'll chuck in some loftyness too.

Not so much Preamp on the signal in
lilbitta more preamped signal

I think this is just an Orange thing. Especially on the AD30TC I got 5 knobs to tinker with and 30W to work with. I did some looking around on my phone while ignoring one of my more boring friends over a coffee and i think a lot of the more gritty, modern rocky - punky tones i hear on stuff i am a fan of is gotten from the Rockerverb50. I think i can get some nice clean great rock stuff out of this though for some of my more simple raw stuff i have ideas for. And, if Lt. Bob says if he can't get any air from a tiny terror i am confident this is just part of the Orange styling.

I am also kind of curious as to what would happen if i put a 2x12 Cab behind this head as opposed to the 4x12? Is it worth my while to rent one some weekend and try it out? Forgive my ignorance but maybe if the amp is only feeding two speakers it might have a little more power elsewhere? Correct me if i am wrong ?! :confused:
I don't think you'll notice much difference with a mic'd 2x12 unless it's got different speakers in it. You'll notice a difference in the room, but it's typically not a difference in high end, if that's what you're looking for. I don't think that "hotter" clip sounds bad, but I'm listening on headphones right now. I really like the base tone you're getting from that amp, it's just a little dark.

Lt Boob - nice pedal dude. That's how you do the no-amp route in my opinion. Small and easy and inexpensive. Spending 2 grand on something like the AssFx....you might as well just buy an amp. Give us some reviews when you can. :)

The future is now!

A friend of mine got a Kemper and we're going to start playing with it tomorrow. We'll be loading a few amps into it and see how it behaves. Interesting thing for sure. Most likely the future of amplifier modeling. It's like 3/5ths the price of an AxeFx and seems to be a lot more versatile.
Either way, it's going to be cheaper in the long run.

The future is now!

A friend of mine got a Kemper and we're going to start playing with it tomorrow. We'll be loading a few amps into it and see how it behaves. Interesting thing for sure. Most likely the future of amplifier modeling. It's like 3/5ths the price of an AxeFx and seems to be a lot more versatile.
Either way, it's going to be cheaper in the long run.
The Kemper does look interesting ...... since I have a large amp collection spending that much for me is pretty unlikely but if I were to do so I think I'd go with the Kemper over the Fractal. It looks like it's aimed more at being an amp than a multifx.
Wanna hear some clips when you get a chance.
And as soon as I get the Digitech I'll put some up.

I will.
We're going to put his JCM 800, a single Rectifier and my DvMark into when we get the chance. From what I've heard, it seems to be the way to go. There is a version of it that has a power amp built in so you can use it as a proper head into a cabinet, which the AxeFx still can't do AFAIK. Even the new AxeFx inserted a "Tone Matching" system that is pretty good but I don't think it's quite the same technology.
What's also brilliant is that Kemper doesn't sell it from authorized dealers like the Fractal does, so you actually have a choice of vendor. I think that Fractal is pretty butthurt about the lower price and wide availablity of the Kemper. They seemed to have the high end modeling market locked in for themselves so they could comfortably sell them from a single approved seller (which was themselves). Times are a changin' and at the moment the customer seems to be on the winning end.

I've got a friend who owns a studio and has always been about valve amps and has a very nice collection of them but he's looking to invest into a Kemper so he can put a few of them into storage since they're cluttering his recording room. :laughings:

And post that Digitech. I'm really interested in all the latest amp modeling stuff. Recently got to try the Eleven Rack. It was better than I thought it would be, for sure.

Are those the things that plug into an amp like R2D2 does the death star and download all the secret plans?

You mic a sound and give it to them and they create a profile. Sounds pretty spot on most of the times.
Plus you can do normal preset shananigans like with a normal modeling amp.

You mic a sound and give it to them and they create a profile. Sounds pretty spot on most of the times.
Plus you can do normal preset shananigans like with a normal modeling amp.

So if i wanted to profile a friends amp, or something, i would get it sounding good how i wanted it making sure that i have all the knobs set where i want them, and where i have the amp in the room and my mic selection/placements just so and send them that clip and they make a sim for me based on all that hard work i just did?

So if i wanted to profile a friends amp, or something, i would get it sounding good how i wanted it making sure that i have all the knobs set where i want them, and where i have the amp in the room and my mic selection/placements just so and send them that clip and they make a sim for me based on all that hard work i just did?

There is a way you hook an amp to the Kemper and the Kemper steals it's essence. It pumps white noise through the amp or some shit like that and maps the DNA. It's some voodoo shit.

---------- Update ----------

But even still.....it's just modeling.

That thing is pretty cool actually. So when it is reading the DNA can you further change the tone after the profile is done? Can you tweak the gain or mids for instance while retaining that amps genetic fingerprint. Or would it be just a generic mid, gain or whatever tweak? It would be cool if i had a massive studio and lots of friends with bitching amps that i wanted to clone. That was a pretty impressive video.

That thing is pretty cool actually. So when it is reading the DNA can you further change the tone after the profile is done? Can you tweak the gain or mids for instance while retaining that amps genetic fingerprint. Or would it be just a generic mid, gain or whatever tweak? It would be cool if i had a massive studio and lots of friends with bitching amps that i wanted to clone. That was a pretty impressive video.

That's the whole idea. You go to your local guitar shop and "steal" all the amps when nobody is looking :D
I'm thinking of reselling my Axe Fx and spending an extra 100 pounds to get a non-power amp rack unit Kemper. It's definitely a lot closer to the real thing. Better low end, snarly mid distortion and distortion "warmth". You can really hear it on some of the comparison videos on youtube.
I'll see how the one is that my friend got tomorrow.

But even still.....it's just modeling.
^^^^ this ^^^

All the Kemper really does is give you the tools to model your own specific amps but it's just doing what all the modeler companies do when they model amps for their units.

The big difference is that you can do the modeling yourself ..... so if Jimmy down the street has a magical sounding amp then you can go model that specific amp.

For instance Jimmy Cheik in Baton Rouge ( recently dead ) had THE best blackface Super Reverb ever made.
I mean, OMG when you'd hear it!
A freak amp that had ..... I can't even describe it but it sounded amazing! One of the most unbelievable sounding amps I've ever heard.

I can promise you ..... each and every one of you desires that Super ..... it was (probably still is) a marvel to hear ..... tone you dream of.
Other Supers do not sound like it did ......... so with the Kemper you could grab a model of that specific amp.

But I find it unlikely that the Kemper gives you better and more sophisticated ways of measuring and modeling an amp than the factories that design these things have access to.
Maybe as good but certainly not better.
So the big thing is the ability to do it yourself and model amps that you flat-out know are awesome sounding.

Back