The New Tone Thread

^^^^^ this ^^^^^

Seriously, I mean ^^^^^^ THIS!!! ^^^^^^
:D

One gibby can be an awesome extension of your consciousness leaving a trail of musical enlightenment while the identical looking one right next to it can be a terrible, untunable destroyer of any fondness for music whatsoever.

Lol. Yeah that about sums it up. Some will look and feel like a holy grail guitar, some will look and feel like holy shit this sucks.

Thanks for the tips.
I'm putting research into my instrument before I buy one this time. All my other guitars have been regrettable impulse buys or just happened to land at my feet.

I've been screwed out of more money before and I don't even have a bad 70s LP to show for it!

All that good/bad 70s/80s LP shit is just cork sniffery. You might trust that guy but he's unfortunately wrong. Yeah you could get a wonky 70s LP. you could also get a wonky 2014 LP. You'll definitely get a wonky 2015 LP.

I'll keep it in mind to try before I buy.
I once bought a 24 fret SG on ebay. Sold it a month later since I had had no idea how neck heavy it would be. Bascially dipped straight down to the floor if you ever let the neck go.

I'll keep it in mind to try before I buy.
I once bought a 24 fret SG on ebay. Sold it a month later since I had had no idea how neck heavy it would be. Bascially dipped straight down to the floor if you ever let the neck go.

Everyone says that about SGs. I have three SGs and none of them do that. :confused:

$2000 - $2500 is a good budget. You should be able to get a very nice Lester for that. Play it first if you can. If you are not near any to try check out the Les Paul Forum: Les Paul Forum
Good members classifieds there and you are not likely to get screwed. I got my Goldtop R4 through there. Probably won't get a smokin deal though - those guys know what they're worth.

You've probably heard the preliminary mixes with guitars care of my little 5 watter.
Real vocals were added by Supercreep and then drums by the recent Webber convert.
Well, since then Greg had an idea for an extra guitar part or two, (Hall mark L & LP R). I've added them to the mix.
This mix is close to done and thought you'd like to hear some classic Johnny Thunders style riffage from Greg's wall of amps.
Here is Faint Aroma by Pygmy Beat with Supercreep & Greg L:

There's a Sanford Bass Manager on the master Buss still - not sure if it's needed or not.

man, that has transformed that track!
Especially creeps' vox but the guitars are chugging along quite nicely too ...... very nice and raw sounding ..... actually wanted a bit more ..... it was too short ...... but that's a good thing ..... leave 'em wanting more!

You've probably heard the preliminary mixes with guitars care of my little 5 watter.
Real vocals were added by Supercreep and then drums by the recent Webber convert.
Well, since then Greg had an idea for an extra guitar part or two, (Hall mark L & LP R). I've added them to the mix.
This mix is close to done and thought you'd like to hear some classic Johnny Thunders style riffage from Greg's wall of amps.
Here is Faint Aroma by Pygmy Beat with Supercreep & Greg L:

There's a Sanford Bass Manager on the master Buss still - not sure if it's needed or not.

This song starts with a crazy new feeling to it. I friggin love this tune Rayc! What a great job. Also i am really envious of the space and feel of your drums man. Sounds so good.

Ok, So i tinkered around with this amp a little bit more this afternoon and i think i found a tone i can live with, but i just want to run it buy you guys first before i track the for real guitar tracks for the entire song.

I turned some dials and moved the mic marginally. Not really a whole lot but enough to make me happy a little happier. I turned the master up a couple notches and the gain down enough to get rid of the real noticeable fizz. I took gregs advice and turned the mid knob down about 3/4's of a notch as well. All of those things really did wonder for my confidence in this amp. There seems to be a bit more life and a bit more air movement. Less stiffness. to my ears anyways. I am happy with it. Let me know what you all think and i'll post up the specifics if anyone is interested.

REF:A the one i tracked the other day

REF:B the schtuff i did today.

I tried mussing around with my condenser mic as well and i have concluded it doesn't matter how or where i mic the cab with either of the two condensers, they real brought little of anything to the table in regards to this effort. If i were to think objectively, i am betting i could find a kick ass tone with the condensers if i had a better mic mount and someone to move it around the speaker face / general area, but i do not have that. So for now. I might just do some guitar doubling or go get a different Dynamic mic of some sort.

Ray: Been meaning to reply about the new track, sounds pretty damn good man!!! The new tracks on that sound have took it to another level dude...Sounds great!!!

Shan: Sounds like you've got more clarity now in the guitars, & the seem to sound more defined now...To me, they're also just a little louder in the mix but I can definitely hear a difference....Really Shan, the tones in your songs have to make you happy first & foremost, of course it's nice to have your buddies here confirm for ya though, I do the same thing myself....Finish that song up man, I wanna hear the whole thing....

Ok, So i tinkered around with this amp a little bit more this afternoon and i think i found a tone i can live with, but i just want to run it buy you guys first before i track the for real guitar tracks for the entire song.

I turned some dials and moved the mic marginally. Not really a whole lot but enough to make me happy a little happier. I turned the master up a couple notches and the gain down enough to get rid of the real noticeable fizz. I took gregs advice and turned the mid knob down about 3/4's of a notch as well. All of those things really did wonder for my confidence in this amp. There seems to be a bit more life and a bit more air movement. Less stiffness. to my ears anyways. I am happy with it. Let me know what you all think and i'll post up the specifics if anyone is interested.

REF:A the one i tracked the other day

REF:B the schtuff i did today.

I tried mussing around with my condenser mic as well and i have concluded it doesn't matter how or where i mic the cab with either of the two condensers, they real brought little of anything to the table in regards to this effort. If i were to think objectively, i am betting i could find a kick ass tone with the condensers if i had a better mic mount and someone to move it around the speaker face / general area, but i do not have that. So for now. I might just do some guitar doubling or go get a different Dynamic mic of some sort.

I think the new guitars have better clarity. I still think they need more shine though. More presence, air, whatever you wanna call it. Good base tone for sure, they just need some sparkle.

A condenser on a loud cab is probably not going to work. They're too sensitive. Use them as room mics from way far away, but for right up on the grill, dynamics are better.

I think the new guitars have better clarity. I still think they need more shine though. More presence, air, whatever you wanna call it. Good base tone for sure, they just need some sparkle.

A condenser on a loud cab is probably not going to work. They're too sensitive. Use them as room mics from way far away, but for right up on the grill, dynamics are better.

I wonder if the sparkle is because I have a low pass filter on the guitar tracks? I'll slide it up the frequency range and repost when I get home maybe?

I wonder if the sparkle is because I have a low pass filter on the guitar tracks? I'll slide it up the frequency range and repost when I get home maybe?

That could be. The "air" I'm talking about is way up there in the high end. If you find that you get some fizz up there, just notch out the fizz with some EQ and leave the air.

I think it's a great tune and the guitars sound great, but I do agree they need more presence. They are too distant in the mix and IMO need to be more in your face. It would add power to the guitar sound.

Back