The New Tone Thread

Hmmm, well I am playing a decent guitar through a 1/2 decent amp. I've always liked the distortion sound on a DS-1 though; nothing flash about it. It's just a nice usable distortion.

That sounds a bit like me at 16 playing my Epiphone Les Paul through a Boss Metal Zone (MT2) into a Marshall VS15R. I thought it sounded amazing. I imagine in reality it sounded pretty awful.

Yes exactly. It was so much fun not knowing or caring about anything. Lol. I'm thrilled to have the stuff I have now, but those old days of just plugging in and rocking out were good times.

---------- Update ----------

Hmmm, well I am playing a decent guitar through a 1/2 decent amp. I've always liked the distortion sound on a DS-1 though; nothing flash about it. It's just a nice usable distortion.

No that's awesome dude. I'm really not judging you or anything. Whatever floats your boat. If you like dirtbox into a clean amp, check out the Fulltone OCD if you ever get a chance. That thing is a really, really nice pedal into a clean amp.

Yes exactly. It was so much fun not knowing or caring about anything. Lol. I'm thrilled to have the stuff I have now, but those old days of just plugging in and rocking out were good times.

---------- Update ----------

No that's awesome dude. I'm really not judging you or anything. Whatever floats your boat.

It is nice just being able to plug in and enjoy the sound - can't wait to get all my gear set up properly again. I seem to spend more time fucking about twiddling virtual knobs than I do actually playing when I am going through an amp sim on the computer.

It is nice just being able to plug in and enjoy the sound

Yup, that's why I have the amps I have and I shun my pedals 99% of the time. When I "auditioned" with this new band I recently joined, I showed up with an SG and my JCM 800. They were like "bah, where's your pedalboard?". Seriously, they were obviously taken aback by my plugging straight in to the amp like a caveman. I didn't even bring a tuner. I had one of those clip on headstock tuners. I had beer, a guitar, a cable, and a head. They had cabs already. I got the impression that they thought I'd be wasting their time. The whole time I was setting up I was thinking to myself, "you fuckers have no idea what's about to happen to you". So then I flipped the amp off standby and filled the room with the most furious raw power roar they've ever heard. I got the gig that night....not that there was any doubt. :D

Yup, that's why I have the amps I have and I shun my pedals 99% of the time. When I "auditioned" with this new band I recently joined, I showed up with an SG and my JCM 800. They were like "bah, where's your pedalboard?". Seriously, they were obviously taken aback by my plugging straight in to the amp like a caveman. I didn't even bring a tuner. I had one of those clip on headstock tuners. I had beer, a guitar, a cable, and a head. They had cabs already. I got the impression that they thought I'd be wasting their time. The whole time I was setting up I was thinking to myself, "you fuckers have no idea what's about to happen to you". So then I flipped the amp off standby and filled the room with the most furious raw power roar they've ever heard. I got the gig that night....not that there was any doubt. :D

Now I have tube amps, I'm the same. I just plug straight in and it sounds awesome. I only have a multi effects thing (Boss GT3) nowadays and I simply don't use it any more.

plugging straight in to the amp like a caveman.
To be honest, I tend to do this quite a lot too; in my last house my pedals and leads tended to live in a bucket beside the amp.

You got any recordings of your guitar/amp combo?

To be honest, I tend to do this quite a lot too; in my last house my pedals and leads tended to live in a bucket beside the amp.

You got any recordings of your guitar/amp combo?

Lol. Yeah this whole thread is full of clips.

Here's one that has guitar sounds that I'm particularly happy with.

Hey, it's a long thread!

That is a nice tone, what's the guitar/amp/mic/effect combo on that guitar? And what on earth are you doing with the solo at the end.
I rerecorded my Ode to Coffee as apunk version the other day. I will post it up when I get around to doing the vocals.

Hey, it's a long thread!

That is a nice tone, what's the guitar/amp/mic/effect combo on that guitar? And what on earth are you doing with the solo at the end.
I rerecorded my Ode to Coffee as apunk version the other day. I will post it up when I get around to doing the vocals.

That song has three guitar tracks in it. I think, if I remember correctly, I used my Les Paul for all of them.
The left rhythm track is a Marshall Plexi 1959 into a Marshall 4x12 loaded with Greenbacks and G12-65s. I mic'd the Greenback for that track.
The right rhythm is the JCM 800 through the same cab with the mic on the G12-65s.
The lead is the Plexi again with a wah in front.

The thing I'm most proud of in that recording is that is the sound of the amps. There's no EQ or effects. There's no tweaks or processing. That is the sound that hit the mic and I did nothing else to it. Guitar, amp, cab, speaker, mic, your ears. Nothing else. It might not be the tone for everyone, and I'm fine with that, but I fucking love it and I got it with nothing but a mic on a roaring cab. As a Marshall tone fanboy and a hobbyist recording engineer, I can't ask for more than that.

I got the impression that they thought I'd be wasting their time. The whole time I was setting up I was thinking to myself, "you fuckers have no idea what's about to happen to you". So then I flipped the amp off standby and filled the room with the most furious raw power roar they've ever heard. I got the gig that night....not that there was any doubt. :D
hahahaha!

Sounds like me a bit actually ..... when i go somewhere and play I have about the same attitude!

Of course I frequently do it with the sax but I'm just like that .... :D

The thing I'm most proud of in that recording is that is the sound of the amps. There's no EQ or effects. There's no tweaks or processing. That is the sound that hit the mic and I did nothing else to it. Guitar, amp, cab, speaker, mic, your ears. Nothing else. It might not be the tone for everyone, and I'm fine with that, but I fucking love it and I got it with nothing but a mic on a roaring cab. As a Marshall tone fanboy and a hobbyist recording engineer, I can't ask for more than that.
That's the David Briggs/Jack Nitzsche approach isn't it. Get the best sound you can from the amp, find a mic with a short cable that can capture it and press record...

What mic did you use?

hahahaha!

Sounds like me a bit actually ..... when i go somewhere and play I have about the same attitude!

Of course I frequently do it with the sax but I'm just like that .... :D

Haha yeah dude. I've heard you on the sax. I bet you could walk in anywhere and get the gig.

I know I'm not a great guitarist or anything, but if I suck it's not gonna be because of my equipment. Good players sound good on anything. I need to know that my equipment isn't adding to my suckage. :laughings:

That's the David Briggs/Jack Nitzsche approach isn't it. Get the best sound you can from the amp, find a mic with a short cable that can capture it and press record...

What mic did you use?
That should be the only approach to any recording IMO. The better the source sound is, the less you have to do with it. I can't even fathom trying to do it any other way.

I don't remember which mic I used, but I can tell you it was either a Shure SM57, Audix i5, or maybe both on each speaker.

That should be the only approach to any recording IMO. The better the source sound is, the less you have to do with it. I can't even fathom trying to do it any other way.

I don't remember which mic I used, but I can tell you it was either a Shure SM57, Audix i5, or maybe both on each speaker.

The better the source is, the more you enjoy listening to it when you're playing too!
Was just asking about the mic 'cos I am getting a new one soon and think it's likely to be an SM57. I have a bunch of cheaper mics; all of which are okay in the right circumstances but none of which I actually like.

The better the source is, the more you enjoy listening to it when you're playing too!
Very true! Having everything just right, or as right as you can get it, makes everything more enjoyable. Dialing in a good sound makes you play better which makes you sound better. :D
Was just asking about the mic 'cos I am getting a new one soon and think it's likely to be an SM57. I have a bunch of cheaper mics; all of which are okay in the right circumstances but none of which I actually like.
You will never go wrong with an SM57 on a guitar cab. Get it.

Talking about Tones this afternoon I have just spent a little while listening to a few of my favourite old records, the ones that I really love and have probably influcenced me most, and actually listened carefully to the distortion tone. They are generally primative with lots of breakup. The tone on The Holy Bible is pretty grim in places but it sounds perfect in context. Nice to know it was recorded cheaply and quickly in a shit studio in Cardiff.

Talking about Tones this afternoon I have just spent a little while listening to a few of my favourite old records, the ones that I really love and have probably influcenced me most, and actually listened carefully to the distortion tone. They are generally primative with lots of breakup. The tone on The Holy Bible is pretty grim in places but it sounds perfect in context. Nice to know it was recorded cheaply and quickly in a shit studio in Cardiff.

I saw the Manics play The Holy Bible from start to finish in Manchester a week or so ago. It was incredible. I don't know about quickly recorded, though. James Dean Bradfield re-recorded Faster 36 times in the last week (I think it was) of recording to get the sound just right.

I saw the Manics play The Holy Bible from start to finish in Manchester a week or so ago. It was incredible. I don't know about quickly recorded, though. James Dean Bradfield re-recorded Faster 36 times in the last week (I think it was) of recording to get the sound just right.
Yeah, apparently he had a lot of trouble with Faster. But the album was recorded quickly - very long days though! Possibly the best punk album post 1990.

Just checked, it took them 4 weeks.

Yeah, apparently he had a lot of trouble with Faster. But the album was recorded quickly - very long days though! Possibly the best punk album post 1990.

Just checked, it took them 4 weeks.

I don't know if that's quick or not! I just remember how careful he was with Faster to get it nailed. I also remember reading the engineer got dumped the night they finished it because he was working too many hours for his girlfriend's liking.

Back