The New Tone Thread

What's up with appalachian folk's complete and total addiction to mountain dew? I mean, it's a pretty good soda pop, but fuck, you people feed that shit to babies. :laughings:

Dunno man, the reason I drink it is because it wired/hyped me up so much...Plus I like it a lot better than Mello Yelllo, can't stand that shit....

I really dunno about the baby thing though dude, if I had a baby, I'd put something in it's bottle to shut it the fuck up....

Oh yeah, I sent you another pm asking another question & you didn't reply, so I'll just ask here: Do those cymbals sound any better than the others???

Dunno man, the reason I drink it is because it wired/hyped me up so much...Plus I like it a lot better than Mello Yelllo, can't stand that shit....

I really dunno about the baby thing though dude, if I had a baby, I'd put something in it's bottle to shut it the fuck up....

Oh yeah, I sent you another pm asking another question & you didn't reply, so I'll just ask here: Do those cymbals sound any better than the others???

Sorry, didn't see that.

I'll give it a re-listen.

Hey guys,
I'm looking to buy a couple (maybe more) different speakers for my ISO cab, & possibly even a 2x12 or another 4x12...The speakers I currently have are:
Greenback
V30
T75 (I have 5 of these...one for my ISO cab & the 4x12 is loaded with 'em)

So, my question(s) are:

Is the Celestion EVH speaker just a re-labeled Greenback??? I know it says 20w & the GB is 25, but are they basically the same???

Same thing with the 65w & 75w Creambacks...are they just a higher powered Greenback????

I've heard from here that the current production Celestion G1265's aren't up to par with the older ones, & I probably should go with WGS's version of it, any truth to this????

Thanks as always, again, I'm looking for different tonal options...I don't really have to have Celestions, but from what I've heard, they're as good/better than other brands...

The new Creambacks have gotten nothing but great reviews. I'm probably gonna get a couple myself. They are a higher power handling Greenback.

The 20W EVH speakers are nothing special unless you just want something that says EVH. They sound like Greenbacks. They basically are Greenbacks.

The "Heritage" G12-65s are not nearly as good as the originals. The WGS ET65 version is more true to the original sound than Celestion's own reissues on that speaker. Look for old ones or the WGS IMO.

You know I have Greenbacks, Vintage 30s, original G12-65s, and the common G12T-75s.

90% of my guitar tracks are done through the Vintage 30s and Greenbacks.

Thanks dude,
Yeah, I know what speakers you have, & I personally think all your clips sound great...

I'm just looking for some more options tone-wise right now, nothing is definite or anything...I'd love to have a Greenback 4x12, a V30 4x12, etc., but that's a lot of jack for those cabs, so I might go with a 2x12 of higher wattage Greenbacks to use with the DSL...

I'd thought about getting an empty cab & just put what speakers I want in it, it'd probably cost me about the same loading an empty cab (unless I find a good deal on an empty cab), but that'd be ok too, it wouldn't be a big deal putting speakers in one....

Just trying to figure out some options right now....

I may end up pulling the trigger on an OR15 this week, I just have to wait & see what happens between now & the end of the week....Pretty sure it'd be voiced way different than my DSL, & would probably work well in a mix (with the DSL on one side, & the OR15 on the other...)...Just have to play the waiting game for a little while, but it's ok, I've gotten more gear in the last 6 months than I have in years, & I will have more...LOL...

Man since you don't play live, just pick the 4 speakers you want the most and put one of each in your 4x12. If you're close miking they won't interfere with each other.

I'd thought about that man, but my nephew (who lives 2 houses down) actually has a band, & you never know...May end up playing with those guys sometime....It'd be hard with my work schedule, but I'm pretty sure I could pull it off, I've done it before...

The only thing is, my 4x12's speakers are all 16 ohm....my Greenback & V30 are both 8 ohm...dunno if that would even be possible to put speakers with different ohms in the cab like that...I'd probably have to get 16 ohm speakers (and replace my Greenback & V30 with the 16 ohm versions...)....

Gonna give it some thought, & I may end up doing that dude....

BTW, did you ever get a chance to check out the cymbals on those songs again??? Just wondering dude...

Cool on the songs man, no hurry, I'd just like to know what you think of the different cymbals I used on those 2 songs...

Send a burger this way dude...LOL....

Okay the cymbals....

B.O.Y. the cymbals are a little washy sounding. A little too smooth. No crash in the crashes. But not too bad. They're also panned a little wide for my taste.

C.H. is much better. The crashes have some crash to them, and they don't seem to be panned as wide. This one sounds pretty much like real cymbals. I'd suggest more ping from the ride.

So yeah, treat B.O.Y. like C.H. and I think you'll be in good shape. :)

Cool man...that's weird though, because on both songs, I used the same exact kit, I've even got that saved as a track template....Hmmm....Maybe I did fuck with something & forgot about it......:laughings:.

Thanks dude, don't meant to pester you, but I've been waiting almost 6 months to do this shit....:facepalm:.

Might post up some toans this evening....Got the daw open, might render some toans to see what everybody thinks of my new rig.....I sure do like it, although I'm always on the lookout for different sounds....:D.

Little things like vocals and compression can really play hell with cymbals. I'm of the opinion that a compressor should never go anywhere near a ride or crash cymbal, and vocals occupy a good chunk of the same frequency spectrum that hats and crashes take up. It can be tough getting it all balanced together. On the plus side, no one pays attention to ride pings and crash cymbals anyway.

I'm glad you're digging that DSL. They're cool amps. I figured it would be just right for you. I wanna hear more! Hit that green channel and try for some Angus/Malcolm sounds.

I'm at the point now where the Plexi and JCM 800 are without question my top dogs. Tied for first place. Those amps can do no wrong IMO. They're perfect for me. The raw sound those things kick out...it's just unreal. It's like they're constantly angry. Lol. They sound awesome at any setting. The 2204 runs a close second. It's a little more sensitive to how you set it up, but I'm finding it's a better live amp than recording amp. It records okay, but using it at practice or live is where it really impresses me the most. And being 50 watts, I can twist up the master vol more than the 1959 or 800. And last, my JVM. Not because it sounds bad. It sounds awesome. It's just so ugly with all those knobs. Lol.

Thanks for the tips man...I do have compression on the oh's in all those songs....hmmm.....maybe I'll try without the compressor on the cymbals....maybe that's what's making 'em sound weird...AFAIK, all my cymbals are fairly good (Superior anyway...I hate the Steven Slate cymbals I have....they're just harsh as hell IMO...)...Thanks again for the listen(s) & comments dude...Guess I need to get off my ass & finish that shit up...HAHAHA!!!

Ok, Angus & Malcolm used what JMP or an 800??? I'm guessing I can get close with the DSL, but what speaker??? I'm thinking Greenback because it'd be the closest thing to a vintage sounding speaker I've got...But, the V30 has those mids, & Angus/Malcolm both have killer mids in their sound....

Angus and Malcolm mostly used non-master Marshalls. JTM45, Plexis, metal-face JMP Super Leads, Malcolm may have even used Super Bass amps here and there. But that old AC/DC stuff is all non master Marshalls. Up around Highway to Hell, Back in Black, and after, there's really no telling. Rumor is they used 2203s on BIB, but I don't know for sure. Those BIB guitar sounds are thicker, but the production is also way better on that album than their previous albums. My 2204 can get pretty damn close to BIB tone, so maybe they did use 2203s.

Anyway, I'd say either GB or V30 would be good. The Greenback is obviously what was widely available back then. But the V30 is a nod to the heavy magnet "Blackbacks" of that early 70s time period, so it could work too. Try em both.

I don't know if you heard this, but here's an AC/DC collab I did with Rami recently. I went for a non-specific AC/DC style sound. These guitar tracks are the Plexi and Greenbacks.

Cool man.....got the amp fired up as I type....gimmr a few minutes....

And yeah I heard your cover of Dirty Deeds....great job man....I replied to that thread back in the summer....that's when I was staying over with the brunette I posted a pic of......LOL....

Gimme a few minutes & I'll post a clip or two, then, I've got to eat something man....Haven't had a bite all day....

Ok, here's a couple clips....

LP > DSL > GB > '57

LP > SD-1 > DSL > '57

Same exact settings on the amp, only thing different between 'em is I used the SD-1 as a clean boost to tighten up the low end....It gets a little flabby on the green channel.....

Amp settings:
100w mode
Green crunch
Gain: 10
Vol: 2-3 (I'm afraid to push it too much, the DSL will definitely fry the 25w Greenback)
Bass:8
Mid:7
Treble:5
Resonance:7-8
Presence:8-9

Gonna go grab something to eat, but I'll be back in about 30-40 mins...

Haha not bad at all. I like the non-SD1 clip better. The first one. Both sound great, they lack the chime of AC/DC though. Maybe too much gain. But on their own for what they are they sound awesome to me.

Now try it with the V30 and G12T-75s. :D

Ok, here's a couple more, same exact amp settings, same guitar, & I got the mic as close as I could...(I can just swing the boom around in the ISO cab, & get it pretty damn close to where it was when I change a speaker....)...

Sorry 'bout the double post, I actually thought I hadn't posted the previous clips & hit the button again....sorry...LOL...

Anyway, here's the clips:

LP>DSL>V30>'57

LP>SD-1>DSL>'57

And, I know my clips ain't nowhere near an AC-DC tone man, probably is too much gain, probably ain't enough power tube saturation, probably ain't a lot of things, but, for what it is, I'm really liking the DSL100...IMO it's a great amp, it's fuckin' loud, has enough versatility to do about anything I'd wanna do, and best of all....it's mine...

Lemme know what you guys think of the V30 clips...

Last edited:
Back