The new suprstar studio thread

suprstar

It aint ez being green
Ok, so I just bought a new house, and I'm dedicating a 19x11 room in the basement for a studio. It has 8' ceilings in the middle with recessed lighting, and there's some duct work on the long sides.. The 1st pic here is a to-scale map of the room, 1 square is 1 foot. My 1st inclination is to have the mix position centered on that bottom 11' wall facing up, maybe a foot or 2 off the wall.

The room is completely drywalled, I was cranking some music in there and I couldn't hear it upstairs, it's a lot more isolated than my last place! Another interesting thing about this room is: The old owners used it as a workout room, so it has this rubbery gym-floor type material on the floor.. IDK if that's good or bad, but it is what it is.

room.jpg

Here's some pics of the actual room. I know the color is awful, I'll be painting it this weekend..... Directions in relation to the map above:

Coming in thru the french doors on the top right, looking left:
before1.jpg

At the top, looking down towards my tentative mix position:
before2.jpg

In the lower right corner, looking up towards the entrance:
before3.jpg

I have a lot on my plate right now, there's a lot of work to do in the new house, and my 'honey-do' list is pretty long atm. The moving truck is on monday, so I'll be moving and arranging stuff all week (prolly month!) So this won't be an overnight thing, but I'll keep posting stuff in here as it progresses, as time permits.

Any thoughts on that flooring, placements of desk, acoustic panel placement, whatever - all welcome.

SuprDude!
This is awesome! I was just thinkin this morning on the way to work..."I wonder if SuprDude got his house yet."
No shit. Just this morn...
Very cool man. :drunk:

As to where you're thinkin of the mix position? That's where I'd put it. Looks like the most acoustically pleasing area.
The rubber mat? :confused:
I dunno. I don't think it'd hurt but I have no idea...

Also, in the second pic...there's some dude standing there. Looks like he's eyeballin ya. I'd kick his ass if I were you.
:cool:

:laughings:

Anyway, I'll be tuning back in as ya go man.

Congrats good sir. :drunk:

Rubbery gym floor sounds like a good time! Or not.....

Owwww riiiight, yeah baby I like the way you think! Some mood lights, Bow chika waka waka..... :D

All my shit is in the main rec room, and painting has begun. I have all the trim done, just need to roll today. It'll be a dark grey, kinda gun-metalish I'm hoping for.

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

What you didn't like sea-foam green walls????

looks awesome dude - can't wait to come over and check it out!

( I'll bring a guitar :p )

Finished painting last week and made a little progress over the weekend.

Got some rectangular absorbers up around the mix position at the reflection points. They're 1x6 frames with 6" of roxul inside. Thanks to arcadeko for the nail/staple gun usage, and the design tips - It was so fast and easy I went and got myself a nail gun! They're just hung with picture wire on the frame and a couple anchored screws in the wall. I actually made these months ago, just didnt have anywhere to hang em til now! I didn't take any pics of the build process but they're simple enough..

I also made some framing for superchunks in the corners, I'm gonna fill those with roxul as well. They're 1'x2' on the wall edges, so a 60/30 right triangle, the face points right at the mix pos. A 45º superchunk would have pointed more behind me, I just thought this would work better. They're free-standing so I can move them away from the wall to allow for an air gap behind them, or angle em differently if I find that'd work better. I made all 4 of the wedge frames with a single 4'x2' sheet of plywood and 6 8' 1x2's. Total cost something like $20, after the roxul and fabric it'll be about $80. I'll make even more later. Just with the 4 rectangles up, the room is WAY less echo'ey, it's gonna be pretty damn dead by the time I'm done with it!

2012.05.20.jpg

parts.jpg

one.jpg

done.jpg

I just saw this thread... and those green walls. Whew, thank all that's good that you painted. Love the gray finishes. My second studio was gray.

Rubber mat?? Don't know.... can't be too much different from carpet, can it??? (Acoustically speaking that is - I'd hate to see the "rug burns" from that stuff!! :eek:)

Very cool. :drunk:

You're makin good time. Nice to see you've got your priorities straight. Studio first, everything else later. ;)

Can you go back to the green please?
:)

:D

Finished painting last week and made a little progress over the weekend.

Got some rectangular absorbers up around the mix position at the reflection points. They're 1x6 frames with 6" of roxul inside. Thanks to arcadeko for the nail/staple gun usage, and the design tips - It was so fast and easy I went and got myself a nail gun! They're just hung with picture wire on the frame and a couple anchored screws in the wall. I actually made these months ago, just didnt have anywhere to hang em til now! I didn't take any pics of the build process but they're simple enough..

I also made some framing for superchunks in the corners, I'm gonna fill those with roxul as well. They're 1'x2' on the wall edges, so a 60/30 right triangle, the face points right at the mix pos. A 45º superchunk would have pointed more behind me, I just thought this would work better. They're free-standing so I can move them away from the wall to allow for an air gap behind them, or angle em differently if I find that'd work better. I made all 4 of the wedge frames with a single 4'x2' sheet of plywood and 6 8' 1x2's. Total cost something like $20, after the roxul and fabric it'll be about $80. I'll make even more later. Just with the 4 rectangles up, the room is WAY less echo'ey, it's gonna be pretty damn dead by the time I'm done with it!

2012.05.20.jpg

parts.jpg

one.jpg

done.jpg
It's looking really great!

Looking forward to seeing pics of the finished room.

I'm sorry to report that I've made NO progress whatsoever. I've hung paintings drapes curtains and mirrors, built a ton of shelving in the garage and storage room, made 3 trips to goodwill and the dump, and did a bunch of other crap in all other areas of the house. Just not in there :eek: This weekend I'm hoping to stuff those wedges, sweep it out, and get some stuff set up in there. It'll get there, I'm finishing up with the other house setup stuff. For being in there only a couple weeks we got a LOT done so far! Play time is just around the corner...

It's looking really great!

Looking forward to seeing pics of the finished room.

Thanks, me too!

Ok, I got all 4 of those wedges stuffed. It took forever.. I bought some fabric for them a while back when I made the rectangles but they got lost in the move somewhere. I went thru EVERY box in the area where I thought it was, it's just gone..... So those are on hold til I can get some more..... Arcadeko gave me some leftover scraps from when he made his traps. Combined with my leftovers I have another 5-6' superchunk (12"x12" triangles, 17" face), I know exactly which corner it's goin in too!

So in the meantime I'm gonna try to set up the vdrums and get a little guitar station going. I I had a ton of Auralex squares, which I used to pad the drums on the more down here. They've been in storage for over a year! The Auralex is all deformed, there's about 10 good pieces out of 32. Oh well... The other ones might slowly go back to their orig. shape :D

Big ass room man thats gonna be a hot studio, props

Sub on Youtube 4 Beat Contest, Tutorials & Hit Radio Beats
TAGG's 2012

As a matter of fact I am! I got most of the gear in there and mostly set up. Nothing is running to my interface yet. Guitar world is running, drums are up (kids have been testing them all day!), got the computer up and running so I have some tunes while Im working.

I also discovered the ceiling is 9' tall in here, not 8. Those corner traps are 48", I thought they were 40 for some reason, which is why I didn't notice when they didn't reach the ceiling before.... I actually stuffed each of those things with 6' worth of roxul cuz I had extra, so the density is up 33%, which is good for the corners.

I still have boxes of crap to go thru. I DO have 2 lava lamps as per the HR Studio Specifications and Building Code statute section 14-c, so nobody can get on my case about that, and I got my Packers flag on a 4x12 so Acid should be relieved :D

I still need fabric for the corner traps. I found a scrap, you can see in the desk pic I have ONE of them in there, but it's all wrinkly and looks like ass so I'll re-do it when I get better (and matching) fabric. I have some auralex I'll eventually put somewhere, after I get all the roxul traps in place and I can see where they'd fit best. That superchink with the scraps is going in that corner right behind the drums. Also, I'm having a hard time finding a place for my iron maiden flag :mad: It's my oldest worldy possession, I had it in high school! I MUST find a place for it. After that it's mostly just a matter of cleaning and organizing.

desk.jpg

gd.jpg

keys.jpg

Back