The new C1 sucks

recordingpro

Brand new straight out of the box. it sucked. the metal work was shite. the new shock mount was a cool idea but then under a closer look you could see how the joints weren't fitting well and some things were bent in the assembly from China. That's either bad QC or sloppy work is OK with Studio Projects. The sound was shite. Oh but the badge was prettier.

The new C1 I observed reminded me of those cheap $1.99 tools from China you can get at your local hardware store or from Harbor Freight

Save the money for better. There are even better cheap Chinese mics than that thing was. With the mic market the way it is that C1 is really a $50 mic

interesting-- i was curious about this new "mark II" line. by any chance have you been able to compare the sound to the earlier version of the c1?

edit: i did see your "sound is shite" comment :)

Last edited:
Reactions: apl
Got any A-B sound clips of the new one versus the original one? And as Big Kenny asked, what pre were you using? What was the source (vocal, acoustic guitar, etc.)? Just curious, as I haven't heard one yet, but I've also not heard or read anything negative about the new series either, until your post.

Did you guys forget who this OP is from?...recordingpro!

This is the original SP hater! He probably had an erection while opening the box just thinking about all the ways he was going to bash it. He had already predecided how much he hated the thing even before he opened it. Somewhere along the line this guy got a bug up his ass for SP, and it hasn't crawled out since! He had to really behave himself to get rid of that infinite line of red chicklets.

I wouldn't give his testimony even one ounce of credit. His word means nothing to me on this subject, and it shouldn't mean anything to you.

...and I don't even own an SP mic. (but I think I will soon :p )

yeah recordingpro is the original SP hater.

biased opinion maybe...

i've never had any problems with any SP mics i've used.

Real nice of you to say how much the C1 sucks and then not post any clips...or even say what you recorded...guitar, vocals, etc.

:rolleyes:

recordingpro said:
Brand new straight out of the box. it sucked. the metal work was shite. the new shock mount was a cool idea but then under a closer look you could see how the joints weren't fitting well and some things were bent in the assembly from China. That's either bad QC or sloppy work is OK with Studio Projects. The sound was shite. Oh but the badge was prettier.

The new C1 I observed reminded me of those cheap $1.99 tools from China you can get at your local hardware store or from Harbor Freight

Save the money for better. There are even better cheap Chinese mics than that thing was. With the mic market the way it is that C1 is really a $50 mic

The old one was better?
EDIT:

Actually, to be fair, I did a search on the C1 and found varying reviews of great to bad quality (similar to what recordingpro has seen). No real in between. So, I guess each mic has it's great to bad qhalities and, if you are in luck, you got a good one.

Issues seen: noisy,broken parts, bad build quality (machining etc.) Good ones got good reviews for performance, but no-one raved about the build quality.

I didn't keep it around long enough to make you guys clips. The pre was a Robbie. I wanted to like it, I really did, just like I've wanted to like the other 2 SP mics I own. I tried to like it but it wasn't very likable when compared to almost anything else that has quality. I guess I'm the only one who's willing to say the emperor has no clothes

By the way I did not compare the new one to the old one side by side

Well in MHO the original C1 sucked when it came to vocals. Now this is only my experience, but it was almost as bright as the nt1. The B1 still rules!

wow what happened to your rep? heh i didnt even negg him this time :)

yeah, whats the deal with your pro status? i want to hear some friggin audio!

Jesus, guys.

He doesn't like the mic. Big whoop. It doesn't mean it's bad. It doesn't mean there's a conspiracy. He didn't insult your Mama. He's just a dude ... who doesn't like a mic.

Holy crap.

Back