The Music Lesson

karyoker

The first year of the sixties was probably about the worst time to go into the military. But times were good, a man or woman either one could work forty hours a week and support the family before the lawmakers convinced everybody that they were responsible for the economy. We had the best music in the world Johnny Cash E P and all in between. With two A M radio stations you could get the best country or rock. At two in the morning right after a drag race Shreeves Port L A was kinda good too.

The bands in those times were country that could rock and rock and roll bands that could play country but all managed to play a couple of gospels sometime during the night. They started setting up with wierd lookin geetars leaning against the amps and I dont know whether it was the booze or all the gals in tight jeans but god we rocked.

About four year later I found myself with about five other sailors in a little bar in France on the southern coast. We were yearning for Trader Vic's in Portsmouth and a band who could really rock doin Long Tall Texan and others. There was only us the barkeep and a few old Frenchmen who would pounce on the cig butts we were snuffin out and smoking them in their pipes.

An old man walked in with a very old violin and threw his tam on the bar which we found out was to collect the few lira for entertainment. Bobbie Darr, a Texan looked at me and said oh god we got to listen to this crap now. After a couple of songs I didnt have clue what they were, I said I'm gonna hit him with Wild Side Of Life. I walked up put a dollar in his hat and belted out You woodnt read my letter if I wrote yuuuo. All of a sudden I thought there was a fiddle player out Memphis or somewhere for he kicked in the best country fiddle moanin you ever did wanta hear.

We sang evey song we knew leaned some Medditranean stuff and even when we were doin cattle call and yodeling and screamin even the old guys were screamin and laughing and crying..I sat down awhile to catch up on the drinking and he played songs that made me weep, laugh and feel emotions that one seldom ever feels. He opened our heart and gave our soul wings. It took one whistlin and a couple of us humming but we taught him Orange Blossom Special. I dont know what I'd give to listen to him play just one more time.

And when we were walking back to the ship I realized that my appreciation for music had changed forever. I dont hardly classify or put music in specific genres. If it's good it's music.
And it dont make any difference if it's comin out of a big array or from an old violin if it makes your soul fly it's music That old man gave me a music lesson.....

Thanks for sharing. If a lot more people had an experience like that the music they put out would be a lot better.

Great Story!

It's nice to hear a good story that places France in a positive perspective instead of a negative one...which we've all been brainwashed with by "Right Wing" propaganda.

AdrianFly said:
Great Story!

It's nice to hear a good story that places France in a positive perspective instead of a negative one...which we've all been brainwashed with by "Right Wing" propaganda.

Yeah...that's the problem. :rolleyes:

Back