The Multimix USB series??????

brett304

Really interested in getting a mixer hopefully with at least ten imputs and I saw the USB series... Interesting concept, but I'm worried that the technology is too new to get a good deal on it, and I'm a bit worried about the "100 internal effects" thing... Sound like a waste of resources to me, but maybe I'm wrong... The only thing I find online is the same commercial review cut and pasted across the web... The biggest reason I'm considering this unit is because (in my opinion) it seems that Alesis doesn't try to make every product in the world, but that they make a few things the right way. I respect their products (so far as I've seen) and this unit seems comparable to any other mixer about the same price range with the added benefits (maybe) of direct computer connectivity... Not that its too incredibly important to my decision, (although it could be) I was wondering if you can send multiple imputs into the computer to record as seperate tracks in a software program...If this is true, it would make this a very useful piece of gear for a home studio... I would absolutely love it if this were the case and would probably proceed to order one of these as it would give me the opportunity to record my drums live and edit them seperately... ANY insight or knowledge that would be appropriate would be much appreciated!!!

Hey dude -

I just bought the 8 channel USB version and for live mix/mix to tape, it's a good deal. 100 cheesy effects or not, it's a nice clean quiet unit.

I'm still trying to troubleshoot my USB multitrack connection, but otherwise I'm happy with it (other than the Alesis "Plug and Pray" USBconnection totally messing up my M-audio MobilePre USB drivers....). Latency is another issue with my multitrack software of choice: Cakewalk GuitarTracks Pro. Apparently, the OEM version of Cubase LE shipped with the Multimix USB series has a straightforward workaround for latency through something called a "VST Multitrack". For whatever reason, my unit did not come with the CD at point-of-sale. Still waiting for Alesis customer service to resolve that.

You can do multiple tracks in, but you'll only get a stereo signal out (either by analog or USB outs). Multiple to multiple tracks going to digital is not possible with the Multimix line. You'll need a different unit and likely have to go the firewire route (like the M-Audio firewire 410). However, mixing your drum kit down to a stereo signal is not entirely a bad thing for home recording.

Some other have lamented on features missing from the channel strip - channel mutes, for example - but for a couple of hundred $$$ what do you want?

I'll be using the Multimix 8 for vocal mixing in band practice (into powered speakers) and, if I get the damned USB connection/latency sorted out, a more flexible alternative to the M-Audio MobilePre.

BigBottom

Last edited:
Alesis Multimix

Hey, I appreciate the reply... Hey as long as the thing is clean, you don't have to use the effects... I've got an old Yamaha 2404 mixer that had 24 tracks, but its down to 17... I'm really looking at getting something smaller so I have more room in my space... But I don't want to take a hit on flexibility and whatnot... Its too bad there aren't individual track mutes as that would be a very good thing considering how I'd like to set this thing up...I guess being that it only comes out as a stereo signal and I've already spent the money on an omni studio imput system, i guess the usb part won't matter too much... How does it compare to other cheaper mixers with at least 10 or 15 channels (hopefully under 300 dollars)??? I'm guessing since my computer imput system has stereo imput I could hard pan different pieces of the drums and that would give me some flexibility... I'm not very knowledgeable about some of this stuff, so given my situation if anyone could give me some advice and whatnot, it would be much appreciated...

I'm looking at the Mackie VLZ PRO 1202/1402 series of mixers as well. This one has 12 and 14 channels, respectively, so you can get a more flexible mix to tape/disk if you've got the necessary peripherals.

No usb/firewire connectivity, tho. Not a bad thing at this point, with the experiences I've been having... :rolleyes:

I think Mackie's will run you a little more in cost than the Alesis, but it looks like they're very comparable products (i.e Alesis Multimix 12/16 and VLZ Pro 1202/1402).

Unless your USB setup is configured perfectly for the Alesis USB config - forget about it. I's still scratching my head.

DD

hey, i just bought a Alesis Multimix 12 USB. I was wondering if i could record multiple tracks in to their own tracks, but after reading this forum i dont think i can.... bummer... so is it true that with the 12 usb u cant record seperate tracks?

With Alesis MultiMix series if you want to record more than the stereo mains out you need the Firewire version not the USB, I have the MM-8 FW and it will record 8 seperate channels.

so hey, im interested in getting the alesis multimix 8usb. So are you saying that if i have 2 microphones pluged in each mic wont have its own track? or it will be one track recording both.

You can use all the channels at once to mix down to a stereo output on the USB models but you will only be able to record the stereo output, where on the FW models you can record any or all of the channels seperately or the stereo output. Another bonus to the FW models is that the direct monitor function within whatever software you use will have very low latency compared to the same USB model.

haha, wow, i was about 95% ready to get that, (the usb) but not being able to seperate to different tracks is a joke. Its nothing but a toy at that point. do regular midi to usb boxes do that too? Is there any thing else similar to the multimix pricewise but doesnt have that limitation.

I have an M-Audio Oxygen 8 Midi Keyboard that uses USB for midi I/O and it works fine along side the MultiMix FW 8. Between the both of them I paid less than $500 from GC. I don't see any other devices coming in at that pricepoint being able to deliver the sheer amount of channel control capability and standard mixing features. The difference in price between the MM-8 USB and FW models is only around $50-100 and FW is worth every penny performance wise IMO, considering I have and use a Tascam US-122 (2 I/O Stereo w/midi I/O) for smaller live recordings with a laptop. I believe the M-Audio FW 410 has 4 I/O and midi but its likely around the same total price as all my equipment combined and I have 8 I/O and a standard mixer to boot. Hope this helps you figure it all out, the choice was clear to me.

epsilonbass said:
(the usb) but not being able to seperate to different tracks is a joke. Its nothing but a toy at that point.

Yeah wait until you drop $500 on a MM16 Firewire that can record 18 tracks to a computer at once via Firewireand then you realize the Cubase LE Software they send with it will only record 4 tracks at one time...

--
Rob

Crash © said:
Yeah wait until you drop $500 on a MM16 Firewire that can record 18 tracks to a computer at once via Firewireand then you realize the Cubase LE Software they send with it will only record 4 tracks at one time...

--
Rob
Apart from that, how is it working out for you?

haha, sorry if i'm crudly describing stuff, i don't quite know all the terms. I'm looking for something not too expensive for recording audio when i make films, DAT tapes are so inconvient, and mic to camera just doesn't suffice sometimes.

So if i were to get the mm8firewire i could hypothetically plug in mics in all four channels, and have it record each mic on its own track? Hah, that isn't too much to ask for is it? Why wouldn't the usb versions do that? Have they not stepped up to usb2 yet? I thought usb2 was pretty much on the same level of speed as firewire, or at least somewhere between 400 and 800, technically the usb isnt as 'dependable' as firewire, so they just scaled down its functionality? USB is bout as good as firewire now, but i guess its just because all the people that have 8 usb things plugged in at once. But then i think i am just rambling.

Crash © said:

--
Rob

I use Kristal Audio Engine (16 tracks) and FL Studio 6 (32 tracks) and I am happily recording my stuff. I used the US-122 with an older HP laptop and a Behringer UB802 mixer to do my work before the MM-8, so using USB is possible and can sound good. There is just too many sacrifices to be made on the PC to get it to function reliably with USB audio, as any device on the PCI bus can cause an audio spike. There are alot of system components and services that also depend on PCI which makes CPU useage a factor in a USB audo application where speed and performance are necessary for streaming audio. Firewire is a better choice for streaming audio as it is a more direct and lesser used bus device.

howdy,

have been reading extensively about the alesis multimix fw series, and am just wondering if it will work with the four pin fw on my laptop, or will i have to get a fw card for it?

thanks,
g

gfunk said:
wondering if it will work with the four pin fw on my laptop,
g

I have a Compaq X6000 laptop an it works just fine using a Belkin FW cable to the internal TI chipset FW port. One thing to note using a laptop with any external audio interface...Always use AC power when doing audio work, or the audio may get choppy due to the power management features inherent in a laptop system.

AFTER I got a working unit from Alesis (took 3 tries), it works pretty good... Haven't had any problems since.. Not sure if I want to upgrade to the next version of Cubase or go a different direction with Sonar.. I've heard some folks report about it locking up in the middle of a track, but I've talked with several folks personally that have used it with no problems. One of those used it on a regular basis in a pretty good size studio (2 tracking rooms)... So.. Guess we'll see...

Works fine with the 4 wire Firewire cord.. The other 2 wires on a 6 wire set up are for power on devices that get power from the computer.. The MultiMix has to have it's own power from 120vac.

--
Rob

On USB vs Firewire.. The speeds on USB 2.0 are up there with firewire, but USB devices are still a dumb device... They take or send with the computer asks for with no feedback.. Firewire controls bit flow and rate from both ends.. This error control checks that USB doesn't have..

If you're just needing 4 channels of mics the MM8FW would give you what you need...

--
Rob

This is probably a silly question, and I apologise as I'm only a beginner on this kind of thing.

Is it possible to get an adapter from USB to Firewire?

Surely if that was possible you could then mix all the tracks on the computer, rather than just having the two-track Stereo output?

I take it from the chain of conversation that there isn't such an adapter, but I thought I'd ask just to make sure!

Thanks,
Timmy

I have never seen one, but who knows what the future will bring. You are better off just getting a FW adapter card with a TI chipset for now, and using it with the MM8FW. FW audio on a PC reqires much less tweaking to the OS to get a stable DAW setup than USB setups IMO, and can also provide multi channel streaming kernel audio to programs such as SONAR etc.

Back