The most number of tracks+plugins you used with VST32...

Roker1

Hi guys..
I was just wandering what your "record" is on performance of your CPU...
Can you specify number of tracks played back, number of plugins and on what system you did it (using VST32 5.x)
It's just that I've got a couple of songs with a few tracks and plugins running, and expect my CPU to handle them better. But maybe I'm asking too much from it.
Here's an example:
I've got a song with 23 tracks.
About 10 tracks have got 2 plugins each
5-6 tracks have 1 plugin each
2 groups have 2 plugins each
They are mostly EQ and reverb Plugins (couple of dynamics)
It crashes every time I try to play it, and allways at the same point in song...

I've got
P4 1.7 Ghz, 60 Gig 7200rpm HD, 768 Mb RAM

What system have you got, and whats the best you did with tracks and plugins..
Thanks, any comment appreciated....

Dude

I had the same prob. I applied the effects to the tracks, problem sloved. Plug ins are intensive on ram and processer.
I have a track I am work on with about 30 tracks and my computer works fine.

Here's a way to deal with it:

1) Save your current arrangement under a different name.
2) Open the arrangement you had under its old name. Now you have two arrangements open in your song.
3) In the new arrangement, eliminate all tracks except for something like a group of guitars... that are plugin-heavy...
4) EXPORT AUDIO and mix down this arrangement
5) Import the audio back into the original arrangement (pool).
6) Deactivate the tracks you mixed down in the original arrangement, and add one stereo track with the audio you exported

You have taken out several tracks and submixed them--if you need to, you can always go back and tweak the other "arrangement", or start other new arrangements with more sub-groups of tracks and get unlimited tracks this way.

HTH

Chad

EDIT: BTW I'm on a G4/733MHz/768 MB ram and have used 30 tracks & several plugins without CPU overs... haven't maxed out yet!! (Of course, the UAD-1 card helps ;))

Thanks for the replies guys

Participant: That's exactly what I tried, in this particular tune.... I mixed down drums (7 tracks) to one stereo track, but it only went from 80% to 60% in CPU performance and plus you lose the flexibility of tweeking the drums again....but by the way some people have answered this question for me, I think that I am actually asking a bit too much from my processor....
It would be great to have a big console, and lots of outboard effects, but hey, if we had all that most of us wouldn't be here ...:)
Thanks guys , I'll just try to submix a bit more stuff so I have more CPU available....

Cheers

strange problem Roker. My previous DAW was an Athlon 1.4 which handled 24 tracks+FX without problems.
Are you sure it's not because of how your system is configured ??

(btw: as from what I could make out of your first post, are you using reverbs as inserts ?? Try using verbs & delays as sends. Shouldn't have more then 2-3 verbs and 1-2 delays going on)

Herwig

DeadPoet said:
(btw: as from what I could make out of your first post, are you using reverbs as inserts ?? Try using verbs & delays as sends. Shouldn't have more then 2-3 verbs and 1-2 delays going on)

Herwig

...yep you guessed it....to be honest I didn't know much about how to "send and return" in Cubase, but after reading a bit of manual (which I absolutely hate:mad: ) I'm starting to get it to work....haven't tried the whole tune with sends, but will do soon and I'll let you know how I go...
I'll be wrapped if I can get the same effects going at just 40-50% of CPU..:D

Herwig, if you know any tips on configuring those systems,....be my guest..:)

thanks...

I've just mixed the same song doing all the effects thru sends, and just a few inserts on separate channels...I got away with three verbs and two delays on the sends I got the CPU performance meter down to 30%
I am very happy :D :D

but after reading a bit of manual (which I absolutely hate )

:rolleyes: could be usefull though.

down to 30%

Tadaaaaaa!

There has already been written alot about optimising a system.. Some say it doesn't help, some swear by it. I only use tweaks which'll give me at least the impression something changed.

(I'm a XP adept)
1. (most important one) Use your computer for nothing but music.
(no internet, office, printer, floppy, ser/par ports, usb,... or as little as possible)
2. disable fisher-price XP look, visual effects, auto-update, hibernation, .. + as many services as you can (check out Black Viper's site. I think I have like 5 services left running on the DAW.
3. 2 harddisks helped me alot, using the fastest one for audio.
(defragging is also a topic alot has been flamed about, but my opinion is it can't hurt).
4. (almost forgot) having 1Gb RAM I just disabled the swap file.

FYI: XP2200, 1Gb DDR@266, 2harddisks, and STAudio DSP2000 gives me 'bout 40tracks (40% audio, 60% VSTi's) with plugs AND running Reason 2.0 with about 12 samplers, drummachines and loops + FX at 5ms latency (24bit, 44kHz)

Herwig

admittedly i'm only on VST5.1, but I have a 4 minute song with 31 audio tracks each having at least two plug ins, some as many as six, and for about two mins every track is playing at the same time - i get some slowdown of mouse movement but never any glitches. my pc is pretty modest : XP Home Athlon 1.7 256Mb RAM SW1000XG. guess it might be a pentium thing, or have u got shedloads of background processes running? fire up the task manager and kill everything off except explorer, cubase and systray

Back