The Mix Position?

Gorty

I was setting up my mixing position last night, the equilateral triangle, 38% into the room etc when I worked out that to achieve these specifications it meant that my monitors will need to be about 4" off the wall.
I was hoping to have them a little further away from the wall than that.

The Question: Would it be better to keep the sitting position at the 38% mark and have the monitors approx 4" from the wall or bring the monitors further from the wall and place myself approx 42% into the room?

I know it seems a petty question but it's tight and I can't close the distance between the monitors anymore than they are now to reduce the equilateral triangle.

Sorry for the double post! :eek: :confused:

is the wall treated? do you have front or rear bass ports on the monitors?

i'm pretty sure your room is treated, so i wouldn't worry too much about the placement, but i would put it about a foot from the wall if you could. my monitors are pretty far from the wall, but i never did the "38%" rule or any of that junk, i just put em where i thought would be good haha. and it gets the job done fer me! but also my room is pretty long so i think i'm within the 38% range somewhere anyway...

monitors placed close to the wall will have hyped bass. experiment and come to your own conclusion. if you have a measurement mic, grab room eq wizard and work it out.

how!

Thanx zedekiah and engine joe!

I have moved the monitors around and have managed to obtain the ol equilateral triangle whilst maintaining approx 38%. The monitors are now approx 10" from the front wall.

I think it is working! :)

Gorty said:
Would it be better to keep the sitting position at the 38% mark and have the monitors approx 4" from the wall or bring the monitors further from the wall and place myself approx 42% into the room?

The only way to know for sure is to measure all possible places and pick the one that gives the flattest low frequency response.

--Ethan

In addition, if you need to have them closer to the walls to get the imaging you want, you can treat the front wall behind the monitors with thicker absorbtion to prevent boundary induces bass 'bloat'

Bryan

bpape said:
In addition, if you need to have them closer to the walls to get the imaging you want, you can treat the front wall behind the monitors with thicker absorbtion to prevent boundary induces bass 'bloat'

Bryan
That's exactly what I did. My monitors are about 8 inches from the wall with rear bass ports. I put up 4 inch foam right behind them which helped, along with lots of 2" foam over about 2/3 that entire wall. Also, on my speakers I have a -2db and -4db switch... I usually use the -2db for my room and it sounds very tight from the listening position without even using broadband absorbers or bass traps.

Thanx everyone for your responses. I love that term "bass bloat"..... :D

Ethan, Bryan, 89gtsleeper,

I managed to move the monitors closer together by approx 2" which then allowed me to pull the monitors away from the front wall to achieve my equilateral triangle mix position and maintain my 38% seating.

:)

Back