The KISS cover thread?

This is defenitly my fave kiss song, that riff just sings.
Your version is very great, the recording is good.
The playing is really cool.
Vox are awsome.

you`ve got my vote :)

pretty good job on vocals and guitar.. it sounds like the singer wanted to go heavier.. good job.. the drum mix could have had a different space and it sounds like he was hanging on by a thread.. good overall though..

Im a fan, if these guys are cheesy with their women and money, the awesome shows they put on, the touring they do well then I want cheese! :D

thanks, it was a lot of fun doing. the drums are nskit7 free, sequenced in cubase. when i used to make my drum parts with fruity loops people always told me they were too perfectly in time, so i intentionally made this a little off in places. i might've gone a bit overboard, though. and i'm still trying to figure out how to process those raw nskit drums. on this alls i did was add some reverb.

oh, and the guitar tone is from simulanalog's guitar suite. (the sd-1 and jcm900)

Gorty said:
Im a fan, if these guys are cheesy with their women and money, the awesome shows they put on, the touring they do well then I want cheese! :D

I'm not a huge fan these days... but when I was five years old I was a member of the KISS army. I had the dolls, and all the records on vinyl. As soon as the makeup came off I lost interest, though. I downright loathed them throughout the 80's. But I recently pulled out the old ALIVE albums and have been going down memory lane listening to them old cuts. They had a lot of really simple yet great rock tunes.

Wow,..that was really good. Great sounding recording. I think though that for this vocalist,...you would be better off doing cover tunes that Gene Simmons sings the lead. Sounds much more like him than Paul Stanely.

When most people do cover tunes they try and stay as close to the original as they can,..which is what you did and in my opinion,..you nailed it. But,...maybe it's just me,...when I listen to someone do a cover,..I dunno,..I expect it to be different,..actually,..I want it to be different. Thats just my own personal preference though.

Great job!

Take 'er easy,...
Calwood

warrengtype said:
I'm not a huge fan these days... but when I was five years old I was a member of the KISS army. I had the dolls, and all the records on vinyl. As soon as the makeup came off I lost interest, though. I downright loathed them throughout the 80's. But I recently pulled out the old ALIVE albums and have been going down memory lane listening to them old cuts. They had a lot of really simple yet great rock tunes.

I am strictly an original members fan! :D

Calwood said:
Wow,..that was really good. Great sounding recording. I think though that for this vocalist,...you would be better off doing cover tunes that Gene Simmons sings the lead. Sounds much more like him than Paul Stanely.

When most people do cover tunes they try and stay as close to the original as they can,..which is what you did and in my opinion,..you nailed it. But,...maybe it's just me,...when I listen to someone do a cover,..I dunno,..I expect it to be different,..actually,..I want it to be different. Thats just my own personal preference though.

Great job!

Take 'er easy,...
Calwood

Ha, yeah them high notes were a pain in the ass for my scratchy voice. I was strugglin'. I always liked Gene's vocals better too. He did my all time favorite song of theirs - God Of Thunder.

I actually agree with you on covers being different. I generally do just that. All my other covers on that soundclick page are pretty much nothing like the originals. I'd never done a straight cover before, so I was just tryin' it out here.

But ah, thanks fer listenin'!

You out-solo'd them adding the bass guitar into the harmony guitar solo -- Aces !!! (ha ha)
Since you like to do covers a little "off", and you claim to like the Gene voice, why don't you take a Paul lead vocal and replace it with a Gene vocal.

I Stole Your Love / Strutter / C'mon and Love Me / Lick It Up / Rock Bottom / Firehouse / etc ... all sung a la God Of Thunder ( which was actually written by Paul )

--- love your Sgt Pepper. Would the Beatles have ever got that heavy ?

This is a chart topper!

Or, if it's not, it should be! Your stuff always does well on the charts, anyway.

This is another fine example of home recording. It's a great tune & lots of fun to listen to. You did an awesome job! :cool:

I'd like to work up a KISS cover myself, if I can find the time,...

but I'll tell you up front, it will be nowhere on par with this monster-of-rock you just produced!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: ;)

warrengtype said:
Haha, I just wanted an excuse to post up my cover of Detroit Rock City. If anyone has any old KISS covers I'd love to hear 'em, though. I know, they're cheesy as all hell, but eh, whatever. Those old tunes are a ton of fun to play.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=431515&songID=3467913

Great stuff warrengtype, I love your raspy voice, a very live and enjoyable performance there! Great stuff!

A BIG Thumbs up!

Gorty :)

Thanks fer listenin' and commentin' fellers.

johnnymegabyte said:
You out-solo'd them adding the bass guitar into the harmony guitar solo -- Aces !!! (ha ha)
Since you like to do covers a little "off", and you claim to like the Gene voice, why don't you take a Paul lead vocal and replace it with a Gene vocal.

I Stole Your Love / Strutter / C'mon and Love Me / Lick It Up / Rock Bottom / Firehouse / etc ... all sung a la God Of Thunder ( which was actually written by Paul )

--- love your Sgt Pepper. Would the Beatles have ever got that heavy ?

Thanks! Yeah, you caught that little harmony bit, eh? I did little things in the verse parts too. Like uh, instead of just plain ol' power chords I played full major 7th chords. I actually do that a lot for some reason, even though I use so much distortion most people don't even hear it...

Re: heavy Beatles - Paul's performance of Helter Skelter on the Grammys last night was pretty damn heavy. I actually experienced involuntary devil horns. I threw them bad boys up without even realizing it.

A Reel Person said:
Or, if it's not, it should be! Your stuff always does well on the charts, anyway.

This is another fine example of home recording. It's a great tune & lots of fun to listen to. You did an awesome job!

Thanks, sir. You're the Davemania guy over there, right? You got a lot of cool stuff on your site. I listened to your stuff several times since being on soundclick. I really dig all the beatles covers.

Hey man..great job on the "Detroit Rock City" cover...makes me wanna dig out my copy of the 1st KISS alive! album....There was a song on that album called "PArasite" I think that would also be a fun one to cover...if I remeber correctly it was a pretty heavy tune(for them and the time).....annywayys just wanted to say nice job..enjoyed it!

Aw, thanks guys.

variaxman - I'm actually working on Duece right now. They're so much fun I'm afraid I won't be able to stop now until I've done all of ALIVE I and II. But no no no, after this one I have to get back to finishing my originals...

cellardweller - Ah, lets see. I have two schecter C1's and a Fender P-bass. I always record direct these days and just use the simulanalog or Guitar Rig2 for tones. I got a couple cheap MXL vocal mics. And I just run it all into an m-audio delta ap192, and do all the recording and editing in Cubase. And uh, that's mostly it. Oh, and drums are nskit7 samples.

Great cover man.
I've always had a hankering to do a version of I was Made for Loving You, but the vox are beyond me. I think Paul Stanley has one of the all time great rock voices, very hard to reproduce, you did a good job.

Also think you did well on the drums. I never really liked Criss' original drums on this, he wobbled around the groove a bit. It is a tricky goove to nail consistently though.

Good stuff

Back