The kind of thing i hate the most

The Great Cobb

Check out this ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tascam-234-Sync...710?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf1e7a17e

Ok so you are an electronics auction company, with almost 22 thousand auctions under your belt, and you cant find a pair of freakin headphones to plug into this and press play to see if the thing works? Seriously no one on staff has some headphones? There is clearly a cassette already loaded into it. This is the kind of thing that makes me insane.

OK OK i got a new business idea guys. All we do is buy broken junk and sell it on ebay. And the item description will only include what we know of the machine up UNTIL the part about it being broken. We will just say we "cant test it". Or how about this... "Unit powers on, but we are unable to test it further".

Not being able to test a cassette machine that is already powered on with a cassette already inside of it is like admitting you dont have 1 finger and the ability to push a plastic little button 1 time.

SIGH

OK OK i got a new business idea guys. All we do is buy broken junk and sell it on ebay. And the item description will only include what we know of the machine up UNTIL the part about it being broken. We will just say we "cant test it". Or how about this... "Unit powers on, but we are unable to test it further".

sounds good to me. Those "kinds" of sellers are most viewed by those kinds like myself :drunk:
I've found a lot of great stuff in their junk "catalogs". I don't buy for more than 10 bucks a piece or so.... but that's a different aspect.

so, go for it , man, I'll check what you've got :cool:

on the subject of who was "...right on a regular basis", - my vote goes to Annie: "...Everybody is Looking for Something."
:)

On the subject of "companies" and "them". :D

Often, those "companies" in reality are just a Dude, backed up by a dog, a fast-food lunch and a beer by the end of the day. So , from where I stand, - more POWER to "THEM" ....:laughings:

Yeah, Cobb, I understand the frustration, but the reality of it is you have a choice.

Now, if you were being FORCED to buy it and all they had to do was hit the power switch to give you some more info, that would seem more unfair, but at least they are telling you no gaurantees...Now what's REALLY bothersome is somebody being dishonest. THAT'S what chaps my hide.

...Now what's REALLY bothersome is somebody being dishonest. THAT'S what chaps my hide.
Yeah, me too :)
Also the "description" can be more to the point, sort of speak , such as: "Unit was powered "ON", atherwise untested" (period).
And there is no need then to pretend that I "is" "Them" and to inform the world about what "WE" can or can not do....heh heh heh :drunk:

The problem for me is I tend to think they probably have tested it and found it to be nonfunctional, but they're saying they don't know. A functional item would fetch more cash, so of course they test things. Worse though are sellers that say it’s working when they know it’s not. :)

The problem for me is I tend to think they probably have tested it and found it to be nonfunctional, but they're saying they don't know. A functional item would fetch more cash, so of course they test things. Worse though are sellers that say it’s working when they know it’s not. :)
Right! :)
See seller's other items. If you see some "similar" items that are tested and in "perfect working condition" then the chances are that the ones that "they" "can't" ;) test have problems/issues. So all the "untested" items are for parts/repair... and that's why ten bucks is the "price" to pay for them ...heh heh
Sometimes, however, There's (or better say, maybe there's) a small window of opportunity , and that's a gamble in a sense. What I mean is this. A seller may be not too knowledgeable in some specific piece of equipment. For example, this seller sells a lot of test equipment but may not have much or any experince in recording equipment. So maybe the guy puts a "regular" recorded cassette in , hits play button, it sounds weird, so the guy thinks: "WTF!!!! and thinks that the unit has problems and lists it as "untested" ...heh heh
Or maybe the guy just does not know specifics about this recorder nor he cares to spend time figuring it out. Keep in mind that being a "company" for one dude takes a lot of time and you gotta move a pile of "merchandise" around ...huh huh :D

so, throw the dice, guys :drunk:

Attachments

• gambler.jpg
    gambler.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 27
thats it

Thats the point im trying to make, is that claiming its untested when you know its broken is basically lying. Its true nobody is forcing me to bid, but i wouldnt want that on my conscience (selling people things that dont work but justifying it as "buyer beware" merely to lessen the guilt).

Who knows, maybe they really cant test it and it works perfectly. But you wont catch me selling things with that description.

Back