The Keyboard/Synth rookie

leucopogon

Hello,

Could somebody out there please enlighten me of the difference between a synthesiser and a MIDI controller keyboard.

I'm interested in buying my first ever keyboard but I want to get the best value for my money and I don't want to spend extra $$$'s on options I don't need.

A synthesizer is a piece of equipment that creates (synthesizes) sounds. A MIDI controller keyboard is a keyboard that send MIDI controller data, but can't make any sounds.

Thanks for the Regebro,

So what do you suggest would be the better option for someone just starting out, synth or midi controller?

I know that a midi controller will also require some kind of module or something for it to make any sounds right? Which option is cheaper and are there any decent models in the $300-500 range?

The kind of sounds I'm chasing are good quality bass-heavy synthesised sounds (for bass lines), like you might here in rap and hip-hop.

All help is much appreciated.

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by leucopogon:
So what do you suggest would be the better option for someone just starting out, synth or midi controller? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, a synth with keyboard is usually easier to use than the combination of a controller keyboard and sound module, and cheaper. Having a good controller keyboard gives you more flexibility if you should have several sound modules, but unless you are going to get that in the near future, I'd recommend the integrated keyboard approach.

I don't know much about lower end keyboards unfortunately.

Regebro:

I just went to my local music store today and checked out the range of keyboards and synthesisers. I think you're right about the synth being the better option. I tried out the Roland JP-8000 and I think I'm willing to extend my budget somewhat after hearing how it sounded. Sounded excellent. Are there any comparable models to this synth made by other brands?

What is the story with the number of sounds that come on synthesisers. As far as I could tell the JP-8000 had 64 different sounds but a myriad of real-time effects knobs and dials. Can this keyboard be used to get sounds from other modules or other sources? If so, what other sources of different sounds are there for synthesisers to use?

Your help has been good so far, thanks very very much.

Let me try to explain it again. Get a synth. Hook it to any other synth or sound module through the midi connections, and it will then be the controller for the other synths or modules.

thanks monty:

I thought that might be the case. What about getting sounds from 'non-module' sources though? What's the story with that?

Also do you know any comparable models to the Roland JP8000 made by other manufacturers?

Cheers for the help.

When I got interested in Midi and synths...about 11 years ago, I spent a lot of time at the music store. I don;t think they minded because they knew I was pretty serious about buying and music. Play with what they have and ask them questions... that way you can see and hear the answers to your questions, and develop new ones that would take a lot to answer on forums like this. For example "64 sounds" (I think) means 64 patches, which would raise a question like "whats a patch and how is it different than a sound?" which is a great question for them to explain, so you can see what a patch is right there. It would probably help to do a little light reading about midi, samples, synths etc. Lots of good info here, and harmony central and synthzone (all on the web). I bought a book about basic midi for about $10 and that knowledge was invaluable as I got ready to make my first purchase... how much polyphony, channels, midi control implementation, zones, aftertouch, sample rom, importing samples and patches etc are all things which are likely to be important to you. Good luck with your music future!

monty: forgive me for my rookie grasp of keyboard jargon :).

I just mean are there any other ways to get different sound patches (I guess thats what they're called) without having to fork out $$$$$'$ for a module like the Roland JP-8080. Can you dowload patches for example off the internet or send away for discs that have patches on them to companies like Roland?

rjt: I had a look at synthzone's faq page last night and it was informative but a little over my head. I'll probably have another crack at reading it again now. That's the way I seem to assimilate this audio tech info. I read it first time and go what the hell? Then on the second and third reads it starts making a little more sense to me.

Good luck Leucopogon, I'm a rookie too.

Hey rjt- got a title for that basic MIDI book
you mentioned? I'd like to do some reading too.

Greets and thankz!
Faithmonster

The book I used (boy I havn't hauled this out for years) is "Using Midi" from Alfred Publishers for $14.95. I think that hacking around for some time, reading in between and visiting the music stores will help you make a good first purchase. Similar books should be in the library, because after you read a book like this once, you probably won't have to read it again.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by leucopogon:
I tried out the Roland JP-8000 and I think I'm willing to extend my budget somewhat after hearing how it sounded. Sounded excellent. Are there any comparable models to this synth made by other brands?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, JP-8000 is a "virtual analog" keyboard, i.e. a digital keyboard that emulates an analog one. Clavia started of the "Virtual analog" fad with their Nord Lead. They have later released Nord Lead 2 and a Nord Lead 3 is getting released anytime now. The Nord Lead 2 is about the same price range as the Roland, the Nord Lead 3 will be much more expensive. You might find a Nord Lead 1 second hand too. It just has 4 voices, but it can be expanded to 12 for $200. Both the Orginial Nord Lead and the Nord Lead 2 are excellent synths, but I don't know how they compare to the JP-8000. I'd guess it's a matter of taste, check them both out.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>As far as I could tell the JP-8000 had 64 different sounds but a myriad of real-time effects knobs and dials. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't imagine anything else than that you can save your own settings to these 64 patch locations.

Just by coincidence ihave seen someone is interested in comparisons between NL2 and Roland.
I made extensive test with both machines and i advise you to do the same. NL2 has lower appeal at first glance; it's like seductive women: you need to take your time to discover secrets............
I am not joking in few words this is the objective main difference.
About music if your idea is to play trance, techno, or even more ambient NL2 works better having a lot of chance to satisfy you with strange sounds. I advise you to get a NL 2 not NL 1. NL1 sound to raw and poliphony is really limited. With NL2 you can "blend" several sounds. Cost 30% more but has a 100% higer value. let me know.......

Hi all - Just wanted to "clarify" the "patch" / "sound" thing...

Back in the "olden" days, a "patch" WAS a sound...

A "patch" used to be a term (And still is) for the "location" of where a sound resides on a keyboard...

Later, in the 80's the terminology was "slurred" with "sound" added as meaning the same thing...

Through technology and advancement in the later part of the 80's, though... "Patch" meant the same thing, where "Sound" was actually a term extrapolated by manufacturers to indicate the "waveform" / "operator" / "sample" / "noise-maker-thing" IN the keyboard that mixes together with "other sounds" to create a "patch"...

Older keyboards had only one or two different "soundmakers" (Oscillators) with only a few analog waveforms with which to design a patch... Sound and Patch were synonymous - THEN -

NOW - The manufacturers needed to call these new "waveforms" something - Thus - "sound" emerged into what it is today... There are many other terms for this, too...

But read that book!

And all this time, I thought a patch referred to the olden days of analog synthesizers when you literally had to send sounds from one module to another (or patch them together) with little cords known as patch cords.

Back