The issue of VIA compatibility...

redCashion

...why are some VIA boards considered incompatible with sound cards and others are recommended by the "roll you own" column. About 9 months ago I bought a 650 Duron with an EPoX motherboard that uses the VIA KT133 chipset, I have had neverending problems with my MAudio Delta 44 card. I have a friend who I helped put together a computer for audio a few months after I bought mine. He purchased a 1gig TB, can't remember the mobo but I think it used the KT133a chipset, and he has the 20bit Layla. From the first time he recorded, it was perfect and clean.

My first reaction to my problems was: screw AMD, screw VIA, I am going to Pentium and I am guaranteed a stable and pop/click-free system. Well, now I am ready to actually purchase my Pentium, but I am having second thoughts. Do I really want to spend more on a pIII 1gig than on a Thunderbird 1.4?

Well, my thinking is this: the Thunderbirds and KT133a chipset MUST be more stable than the old AMD chips and motherboards, tech support at MAudio claimed that it was very rare for problems to occur, so then I wonder why I am having problems if it is so rare? Is it because I have an old chip? Why else would the "roll your own" article declare all compatibility problems virtually eliminated? Maybe they really are.... Am I crazy to want to buy a Thunderbird even after having problems? And has anyone else had any problems with the Thunderbird in combination with the Iwill K2266 board?

Well I have a VIA chipset baord and am yet to have any problems with it. I would recommend upfating to the very latest 4in1 drivers and following any instrucitons carefully. Also check the VIA site for any fixed etc.

I've done this and so much more....

What board and chip do you have? People always post saying their VIA worked but details would be helpful.

I use an Abit KT7A- RAID which has the VIA KT133A chipset.

I havent had too many problems with it. I would have preferred an Asus Mobo but they didnt have any in stock at the time I ordered my PC.

If you check out M-Audio's homepage it has warnings about the VIA chipset with its delta sound cards, plus ive read about alot of people getting pops and clicks while using the delta with VIA, thats why ive stayed away from the whole via thang. i just finished putting together a 1.2g thunderbird on a Elite board K7S5A (..i think) which has a very proven SiS chipset. though i now gotta get the Delta 66 (Omni studio) and see how succesful ive been

Back