The ins and outs of inputs and outputs

HapiCmpur

I'd like to purchase a TC Helicon VoiceTone pedal to add effects to my vocals after recording them on a Yamaha AW2816. The VoiceTone has one balanced XLR input (for a mic) and 2 balanced XLR outputs.

The Yamaha has both XLR and 1/4" inputs, but it has only four unbalanced omni outputs. Does that mean it's not possbile for me to send a clean recorded vocal signal from my Yamaha out to the VoiceTone pedal and then return it to the Yamaha?

The problem you will run into has nothing to do with anything being balanced or unbalanced. The problem you will run into is that the TC has a mic level input and you will be trying to send it a line level signal. You can obviously turn the signal down, but the signal to noise will turn into a problem.

You can plug a balanced line into and unbalanced input and vise-versa without a problem.

The problem you will run into has nothing to do with anything being balanced or unbalanced. The problem you will run into is that the TC has a mic level input and you will be trying to send it a line level signal.
That makes sense. Thanks. Do you happen to know of a product similar to the TC that would accept a line level signal? I don't need too many bells and whistles. I just need a little desktop effects unit with a few good reverbs and a few good delays that will play nice with my AW2816. And I'd like to keep it under $300 if I can.

I have a TC M-one that I am fond of. I don't think it was too expensive. Of course, I don't even know if they make it anymore... I don't think it does harmonies.

TC Electronic M350 Reverb and Effects Processor, essentially the same device, with better effects but no preamp... just what your looking for... And highly recomended in it's price range

Back