The "Holy Sh*t" Moment

famous beagle

I'm curious if every guitar player has this ... what I call the "holy sh*t" moment. Here's my story.

I started playing guitar at 14 (1985 I think) on a borrowed Peavey T-15, which had a built-in, bare bones (solid state, obviously) amp in the case. (See pic. I don't own this anymore, but this is the exact same rig.) I didn't know anything about amps back then, so I didn't realize what "pre-gain" or "post-gain" meant. I was getting a pretty clean tone out of it because I didn't know how to do anything else.

I was teaching myself from a book called Heavy Metal Lead Guitar by Troy Stetina, which came with a (yes, that's right) cassette to demonstrate the licks. 😉 And I was wondering why I didn't sound like the recording, which, of course, was played with a distorted tone.

After a couple of months, I started taking lessons at a music store. At my first lesson, I plugged into the teacher's student rig, which had a few pedals in front of the amp. I can't remember what they all were ... only one. He was showing me the intro power chord riff to "Rock You Like a Hurricane" (Scorpions), and I was hacking my way through it. (At that point, I had only played lead licks because that was the only book I had. So I'd never even played a power chord at that point.) Then he said, "Why don't you step on that Heavy Metal petal there."

1702696968036.png

HOLY SH*T!!!!

And that was it - the first time I had played with distortion. I was hooked for life.

Does every player have a moment like that?

Attachments

• peavey.jpg
    peavey.jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 7
I had a reissue for about 10 years. I liked it, but I've never played a vintage one, so I have no reference.
One of the guitar players in Kansas, believe his name wasTerry or something had a Swede in the natural finish. Then a jamming buddy one day showed up with a black one.

I was intrigued with the pic on the Kansas album. It’s a Les Paul..... no it’s not!! What is that? I gotta have one. And the hunt was on. I ended up with 4 over the course of the next few years. Great guitars.

Hard to find a clean, all original, minty one nowadays.

Hagen let me play his rig. Washburn tech , that only played Washburns. his rig was crossovered 2x 12" cabinet at 100 watts tube. and Cerwin Vega bass bin iso passive folded CAB 1000w on a D class. you could palm mute thump thump thump...like nothing else.

at the heart was a Peavey Rockmaster rack head with parametric tone stacks.

Last edited:
Similar happened with me....

12 years old I wanted an electric guitar for Christmas. Woke up to what I didn't know at the time a Vox Phantom copy, white full top pick guard, black body. What the heck is this thing, wasn't exactly what I'd expected. In hindsight pretty cool, weird at the time. A little solid state amp, yeah, I sounded nothing, nothing like Kiss. Pretty quickly decided to put it down and start playing my mom's little Yamaha acoustic, FG75. LoL @ your mom's guitar. Probably the best thing that could have happened, a little quiet time to learn myself around the instrument. A year or so later I started playing along with records on the electric, Aerosmith, Zeppelin, Cheap Trick, etc. In order to be loud enough to play along with the stereo all the knobs went full up. Hm, interesting. Distortion, which at the time I had no idea, figured she was fixing to blow any second, or I'd already muffed the speaker, but figured I'd ride it out until then. This was fun. Another year and I found myself over at an older brother's friend's house. He had a Strat, I mean an actual real Strat I'd only ever seen in pictures. Also had a big amp and cab setup, a couple of little boxes on the floor. I kind of gingerly as possible asked if I could maybe play it. A real Fender Stratocaster! Kind of condescending, "don't hurt yourself, son", he let me play it. Loud. I couldn't believe it, the difference! That's me? I don't think he was happy with me, little punk, made me put it down in fairly short order. My eyes were opened, I needed gear.

The Phantom copy is long since gone. Wish I still had it.

Similar happened with me....

12 years old I wanted an electric guitar for Christmas. Woke up to what I didn't know at the time a Vox Phantom copy, white full top pick guard, black body. What the heck is this thing, wasn't exactly what I'd expected. In hindsight pretty cool, weird at the time. A little solid state amp, yeah, I sounded nothing, nothing like Kiss. Pretty quickly decided to put it down and start playing my mom's little Yamaha acoustic, FG75. LoL @ your mom's guitar. Probably the best thing that could have happened, a little quiet time to learn myself around the instrument. A year or so later I started playing along with records on the electric, Aerosmith, Zeppelin, Cheap Trick, etc. In order to be loud enough to play along with the stereo all the knobs went full up. Hm, interesting. Distortion, which at the time I had no idea, figured she was fixing to blow any second, or I'd already muffed the speaker, but figured I'd ride it out until then. This was fun. Another year and I found myself over at an older brother's friend's house. He had a Strat, I mean an actual real Strat I'd only ever seen in pictures. Also had a big amp and cab setup, a couple of little boxes on the floor. I kind of gingerly as possible asked if I could maybe play it. A real Fender Stratocaster! Kind of condescending, "don't hurt yourself, son", he let me play it. Loud. I couldn't believe it, the difference! That's me? I don't think he was happy with me, little punk, made me put it down in fairly short order. My eyes were opened, I needed gear.

The Phantom copy is long since gone. Wish I still had it.
Great story! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

Back