The Great Homerec'er "Mastering" Dual!

Which Sounds the Best to You?

• TicketA

Votes: 34 47.9%
  • TicketB

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • TicketC

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I honestly cannot pick one as the clear winner.

Votes: 11 15.5%

• Total voters

Queue

In case you didn't notice all the static over in the Sound Forge forum (Mastering in SF.) A little pissing match evolved from a debate about DIY "Mastering". Go to that thread if you'd like to get all the history.

Anyhow, we have 3 versions of the same song, one being the original mix, another being the song as "Mastered" by Bruce (Blue Bear Sound) and the third "Mastered" by chess rock.

You can download the three songs in 3 different formats: 160kbps MP3, 320kbps MP3, or Monkey's Audio compressed .wav files (.ape files).

Point your browser to Queue's Space and choose the appropriate directory, download the files, and vote here.

Please don't be a Dork and vote without listening to the files. :eek:

Queue

btw - Shailat is getting a Mastering Engineer to listen to these for a professional opinion.

Content Warning

ps - The song we ended up using is a "Christian Rock" song. If you don't like that sort of thing, then GO AWAY!!! (In Peace ;) ) Basically it was the first song volunteered, and was a good mix, so that is how we chose it!!!

So Don't Bitch that I didn't warn you!!!

I read through most of the thread, but wanted to jump to the tunes. Thus, I may have missed some rules (oops :rolleyes: ).

I cast my vote anyways and it's a 50/50 tie 1/1.

I should probably abstain from commenting so as not to bias future votes... Yeah, I pull so much weight around here. :cool:

I should also aomment that while two of the tunes were close, one was the clear loser.

***DO NOT READ COMMENTS BEFORE LISTENING***

Ok, I listened to all three, and while I'm feeling a little suicidal at the moment, here are the conclusions I've come to so far.

*snip* i'll hold off on my comments as well. If you read them before I did this then sorry! *snip*

I will say that one of the mastered jobs sounds ok to me, and that the original mix is easy to spot. The remaining mastered job is considerably worse, so there's definately a winner IMHO.

Slackmaster 2000

Yeah, how should this work exactly? Should we just use the poll thing and not say which we voted for? We can't deny that people are influenced by the judgements of others!

Slackmaster 2000

Please indicate which quality level you downloaded and listened to.

If you want, you could PM or email your comments to me, and I'll post 'em when I close the poll. If you go the PM / email route, please still vote on the poll, and also rate each on a scale of 1-10, 1 = Sux, 10 = shines. If you think your ears are really smart, then give the one you think is the original mix a zero.

Thanks for participating.

Queue

btw - I am not voting, because I'm the only one who knows which is which.

I dont care if I influence any voting, but IMO, B just plain sucked. So when do we find out who is who?

As expected, the opinions vary pretty wildly. I'm collecting the PM's and emails over here. I'll try to update that page daily.

This is pretty damn fun. :D

Queue

Ametth,
MAN YOU RESULTS TAINTER!!! AARGH!

(just kidding...)

I'll shut down the poll and post who is who in a few days. Unless my host freaks out sooner!!!

Queue

ps - remember, one of these was the original, so do you think B was the original?

Wow...that song was disturbing. Please, for the sake of humanity, LET ME OFF THAT TRAIN! UGH!

Sorry...it's hard to pick a 'best' version of something so un-nerving. But, I did it anyway.

ametth, man thats horrible you saying that. Its now in future listeners subconscious that two is bad.

Two is not bad . Two is as good or better than the rest imho.

BTW, queue, I listened at 320 kbps and my reference was elvis presley "burning love" playing directly into my converters for direct comparison.

Do you mean duel? is a dual a duel with more than two parties involved? :D

As good or better? I think you are firmly mistaken for a number of reasons.

Oh cripes, here we go again tainting the results!!!! :)

Slackmaster 2000

i thought B sounded better than C....C seemed like the unmastered one........B sounded mastered but not well......A was pretty nice....if anyone one listens to me they are crazy, so if the results are tainted, oh well....

btw, almost half of the people DIDNT pick A as the best sounding....which only helps prove my theory : this nation has a serious drug problem....

listened at 320kbps....i used Britney Spears "Hit Me Baby One More Time" as a reference...well, actually I was just jerking off to the video, but it sounded good.....:rolleyes:

Well Bruce, at the time the statement was valid... :rolleyes:

And I cannot believe I misspelled duel :eek:

duel
duel
duel
duel
duel dammit duel

It is a duel, I threw in the original source material to mix things up...

Queue

Back