The Fabled Martin D-28

I have a D-41 and my Dad has a D-35. Both record better than my Breedlove dreadnaught or most of the dreadnaughts I've came across. Then again maybe I'm a little biased.

I'd check out an OM-28 or even a 00-28 too, especially if you want to use it mainly for recording.

And if I was looking for a D-28 I'd spring for the extra dough and get a herringbone...

I'd check out an OM-28 or even a 00-28 too, especially if you want to use it mainly for recording.

And if I was looking for a D-28 I'd spring for the extra dough and get a herringbone...

Hi,

I already have one of the new OM-21s and an 000-M, so I am covered for small gits. I want a dread to round that out.

The HD-28 is about €300.00 more than the D-28. For herringbone and scalloped bracing, is it really worth that much extra?

by Gibson. Has been used on more recordings than any other acoustic guitar. Enough said.:guitar:

Every Gibson acoustic I've played have been dead-sounding duds, including a J-45. I think you have to have a large selection to find the right one. Pete Townshend once said that he never endorsed a signature Gibby because you could only find one good one in 20. Of course, he changed his mind a while back ($$$), but it has been my experience as well.

The build quality has been pretty stable since they went into production but sound wise, D-28's are no different from any other acoustic guitar. You will find great ones and not-so-great ones.

Hi,

I already have one of the new OM-21s and an 000-M, so I am covered for small gits. I want a dread to round that out.

The HD-28 is about €300.00 more than the D-28. For herringbone and scalloped bracing, is it really worth that much extra?

Find a few and check them out for yourself.

Don't be afraid to look into the used market. Most Martin owners take pretty good care of their guitars.

The D-28 is a fine guitar.

All in all, I say for people looking for a nice acoustic should play guitars until they find one that they like, regardless of what brand it is or what price point it is at. You can spend a lot and not get what you want, and you can spend very little and get exactly what you want.

Play all the guitars. You never know.

You can spend a lot and not get what you want, and you can spend very little and get exactly what you want.

Yup. I was at GC last weekend spending a fair amount of time in the acoustic room with $2000+ Martins and Taylors. I got to play them all, it was nice. Some I liked and most I didn't. Walked away feeling pretty good about my $700 Made in Mexico Martin.

Thanks for your replies.

I received the D-28 back from my luthier on Tuesday, and it is truly a beautifully sounding and playing instrument. I don't have a lot of opportunity to play Martins, as the local shop doesn't stock them, and I haven't seen any come up in local eBay adverts. So, my best alternative was buying online from a place with a 30 day no questions asked return policy. I couldn't pull the extra scratch for the HD-28, but am more than happy with this guitar. It is like a fine Burgundy--full-bodied, velvety smooth, and intoxicating. After a fret-dressing, slight nut-filing and slight truss rod adjustment, it plays like buttah. I have a nice little trio of Marties now, each one with a different voice, but each with that 'Martin tone.' My senses explode with delight! :guitar:

Thanks for your replies.

I received the D-28 back from my luthier on Tuesday, and it is truly a beautifully sounding and playing instrument. I don't have a lot of opportunity to play Martins, as the local shop doesn't stock them, and I haven't seen any come up in local eBay adverts. So, my best alternative was buying online from a place with a 30 day no questions asked return policy. I couldn't pull the extra scratch for the HD-28, but am more than happy with this guitar. It is like a fine Burgundy--full-bodied, velvety smooth, and intoxicating. After a fret-dressing, slight nut-filing and slight truss rod adjustment, it plays like buttah. I have a nice little trio of Marties now, each one with a different voice, but each with that 'Martin tone.' My senses explode with delight! :guitar:

Dammit, now I want to go out and buy another acoustic. :mad:

:D

You only live once. I tried a bunch of cheapish Pac-Rim acoustics, you know the ones that people say are 'great guitars for the money.' Without exception, I found them lacking, so I sold them. The only MiC Gitbox that I have now is my beater, and it is almost too pretty for that role (Recording King ROS-16). So, my experience is that you get what you pay for. No pac-rim acoustic that I've played measure up in any way to my D-28 and OM-21, or my Lakewoods.

Back