The Evolution of Home Studios

Hey all - I'm wondering if you could help me with research for a college project by answering some questions related to recording at home.

Please give some background on who you are and what you are involved in.

1. What is a home studio? Where do you draw the line between a home studio and a 'real' studio? E.g. If a professional engineer were to spend a huge amount of money on putting together a great studio in his bedroom that rivals the quality of any industry studio, is it still a home studio?

2. Do you think industry recording studios are beginning to suffer financially as it becomes more common to make music in the comfort of your own home?

3. How accessible is the knowledge and equipment required for success within a home studio? (And how do you define success?)

4. In the modern day, how far can the quality of a recording be taken within a home environment?

5. Is it really as easy as many people seem to think?

6. "The capabilites of a home studio vary greatly across different genres"
Do you agree? If so, why is this?

-------------------------------------------------------

The following questions only apply if you have experience recording at home.

7. What is your experience?

8. How much money have you invested, and where has the focus of your money been? Have you used software illegally? (if it's appropriate to ask that here...)

9. What convinced you to begin putting together a home studio - how did it start?

10. How would you rate the quality of your work? How could it be improved? (Please link to examples if convinient - details on equipment etc. are appreciated)

If you know of any music made in a home studio which you believe proves that home studios can rival industry studios, a link or info would be very helpful.

Thanks a lot for your time!

Hey all - I'm wondering if you could help me with research for a college project by answering some questions related to recording at home.

1. What is a home studio? Where do you draw the line between a home studio and a 'real' studio? E.g. If a professional engineer were to spend a huge amount of money on putting together a great studio in his bedroom that rivals the quality of any industry studio, is it still a home studio?

I think a "home studio" is simply that. A studio in or at someones home. A "real" studio is simply a building that was built specifically as a studio. The walls, floors etc designed for one purpose. As far as a home studio rivaling quality of a "real" one...most definitely!

2. Do you think industry recording studios are beginning to suffer financially as it becomes more common to make music in the comfort of your own home?

Yes, I think they are. But the quality of those recordings are takin a shit. Unfortunately, most listeners today think mp3's sound great. :rolleyes:

3. How accessible is the knowledge and equipment required for success within a home studio? (And how do you define success?)

You're at one of the knowledge places right now. ;) The equipment is all out there, readily accessible

4. In the modern day, how far can the quality of a recording be taken within a home environment?

The quality can easily rival pro. Just depends on the skillz of the one behind the console.

The ones who think it's easy are either way new to this game or my wife. :D

Across genres? I don't think so. An good engineer can do hip hop to classical. Just comes down to if he wants to take the time to learn the different nuances...imo

A little over 10 years recording myself and a few side projects.

8. How much money have you invested, and where has the focus of your money been? Have you used software illegally? (if it's appropriate to ask that here...)

Somewhere around $30K maybe a bit more but that includes instruments I bought just to have different "flavors" to record. No real focus. :) I don't use a computer so no illegal software here.

9. What convinced you to begin putting together a home studio - how did it start?

It started with my family and some friends kickin in $10K to get it started cuz they thought I had potential and might make some money at it. Probably end up payin it back. :o
:D

10. How would you rate the quality of your work? How could it be improved? (Please link to examples if convinient - details on equipment etc. are appreciated)

The quality of my stuff? meh. :o Still learnin.
My DAW is the Akai DPS24. From there, it's some pre's, comps, mics, beer.
:)

If you know of any music made in a home studio which you believe proves that home studios can rival industry studios, a link or info would be very helpful.

Someone said you were buyin the beer. :confused:
:D

1. There is no black and white answer. I have poured probably $10K into my home studio and trust me, it's a home studio lol.

2. I don't know. Many people here can answer this question better than I.

3. Success to me is to have a decent recording quality that accurately portays the sound of my band. I believe I have achieved that. I am not going to win any loudness wars though.

4. Better than ever and closer to commercial quality than ever IMO. Still not there yet. Technology has changed drastically but the accoustics of having a kickass room vs a basement/bedroom remain.

5. Fuck no. Hell no. God no. Been doing it 16 years and I still suck compared to most of the people on HR.

6. Perhaps. I don't do rap or techno or psychadelic music and I don't record orchestras. I would imagine some genres are more difficult to record than classic rock, cock rock, punk rock.

7. 15 years recording myself and any band I have been involved with. Started with a 4 track. Then an ADAT. Now Pro Tools for 4 years.

8. $10-15K. Trying to have a well rounded studio. I think my pre's, mics, plug ins, bass traps, room, computer, amps, instruments, etc. are all on a fairly standard mid range quality level. I don't pirate software. Don't need the headache of something going wrong and losing all my music with no support or warranty to help me out.

9. Highschool punk rock band. Second hand four track. Been addicted ever since.

10. Meh, good enough for me, not nearly as good as some of the guys around here. I'm not in a band as a living, and I don't even play out anywhere. I just jam with a bunch of my old friends. We're not even that good, just enjoy hanging out. Will post links later.

Can I have my free beer now?

I am a songwriter who records purely for pleasure. No profit. I bring in musicians to help make my music.

There's no real difference other than degree of engineering competence, equipment and room.
Beginning to? No, not beginning to.

I think experience is more important than just knowledge. Certainly information, of varying degrees of accuracy and equipment are all available by the internet in far greater incidence than ever before. Experience will never be downloadable.
As far as your ability, equipment and room will allow.
I don't know who you're referring to, but it's actually incredibly difficult. I've been recording for about 40 years and each hour in the studio increases the awareness I have of my own deficits.

I don't think the differences correlate between genres. Of course, hip-hop studios won't have many timpanis

I've been recording at home, on and off since the seventies.
Over the years, probably about $50K. Focus has been on front-end, structural, acoustic, capture device and instruments. I don't use illegal software.
watching Beatles on Ed Sullivan in 1963/4 convinced me I wanted to make rock music. Road life is too gruelling. Recording is very gratifying.
Better than amateur, worse than pro.
Latest sample:
- Mics: Neumann, Shure, Audix; preamps: API, Seventh Circle, Demeter, Interface: MOTU; DAW: Digital Performer; tracking room: 23' X 16' X 14' with cathedral ceilings.

1. It's a home studio if it's in a home. Seriously. However, a home studio can be professional quality with good gear and good acoustics.

2. That already happened 10 years ago.

3. Easily accessible if you know where to look. Hint: many home recording magazines are full of bad information.

4. See #1 above. You can get fully pro results in a home studio if you know what you're doing. However, it's just about impossible to get good results in an 8 by 10 foot bedroom due to the small size.

5. No comment. :D

6. No, a good sounding neutral room is needed for best results in any genre.

7. 40 years, both pro and home studios.

8. I have maybe $8,000 invested in gear, and about the same amount in room treatment. I buy the software I use.

9. Everyone wants to record themselves without the pressure of paying by the hour. That's me too.

10. I'm more of a hack than a pro, but some of my stuff comes out sounding okay:

http://www.vimeo.com/871714
http://www.vimeo.com/875389

Any limitation in the quality of my work is due to lack of skill rather than limitations with gear and acoustics. :D

--Ethan

Jean Micheal Jarres seminal Oxygene part IV was recorded in a home studio* in 1976....so theyve been around a bit ;)

*it was actually an eight track set up in his apartments kitchen.....I think even my space is better than that now ;)

Have a technical career, but have been amateur musician playing bluegrass, old timey, and irish music for 40+ years. Played in a couple bands years ago; now just mainly jam with friends and family.

From what I can tell, home studios come in all shapes and sizes covering a very, very diverse range of setups. If it’s in his home, a pro engineer’s studio is still a home studio, even though it may rival a quality industry studio.

I think this has been going on for some time and will continue. It parallels the declining CD industry in response to downloaded music.

There are lots of great books and online resources – very accessible but you have to spend the time to sift through and learn enough to separate the solid info from the witchcraft.

I have heard some excellent work come out of home studios (not mine!). Great sounds well produced.

Nope. It is easy to make a recording, yes, but quite difficult to make a great recording. I think the latter takes years of experience, because it is a steep learning curve heavy on trial-error for each aspiring recordist, most of whom have other careers and limited time to invest.

Much of the same basic equipment and software would be useful across genres.

Been recording myself, family, musician friends, local singer/songwriters, and spiritual singing groups (gratis) for about 3 years. Been making music of some sort for many years, but still a beginner at recording.

8. How much money have you invested, and where has the focus of your money been?

about $11K, in this breakdown:

30% mics
20% pres
15% cables/stands/adapters/stereo bars/tuners/testers/misc
15% room treatment
10% monitors
10% recorders/interfaces

Does not include computer, which I already had.

Have you used software illegally? (if it's appropriate to ask that here...)

I don’t use hacked or pirated software, or any software illegally. As a software developer myself, I don’t appreciate that behavior.

I have a friend who produces great music CDs from his home studio, so I thought it would be fun for me and my musician sons to try it. Never foresaw it being the obsession that it has become.

My recordings are still fairly rough. Everything I do is live recorded, so it is challenging to get it perfect. I don’t use much in the way of plug ins or virtual instruments. Just a little EQ and compression occasionally. Hopefully doing a little better each year as I learn more. I need to be faster at it.

Kris Delmhorst and Jeffrey Foucault (pro musicians) have done some really nice home recordings. Liz and Tim (lizandtim.org) do a fine job, as well.

Someone mention beer?

I'm a hobbyist with a wife, kids, a full time job, a life and never any time to be bored, what with juggling all of this. I write, record and mix for fun and because I just have to get it all out and I'm blessed to have a variety of friends that can sing or play various instruments to help me realize my, um, creations. :)

The term 'Home studio' isn't as straightforward as it seems. On the one hand, you have people like me for whom this is a hobby and I'll record anywhere in the house, for differing reasons at different times. So the term 'studio' for me is a kind of nebulous one. It possibly more refers to the recording equipment than any physical space. I suspect I'm way in the minority there though. On the other hand, you have hobbyists that have a dedicated room that's their studio. Then there are those that have dedicated spaces at home but for whom this is their living.
I still initially think of a particular kind of room when I think 'studio', but that's just habit. A producer once told me "A studio is just a room" and because of the kind of music he dealt in, I guess what was in the room to capture the sound was what counted. I'm a bit like that. But I also can see that there's more to it than that. But regardless of the equipment installed, a home studio is a studio that's in someone's home.

I've got no idea. However, I would not be surprized.
Having said that, only a certain number of people could use industry studios yesteryear . Many of the people with home studios today may be people that 20 years ago wouldn't have seen the inside of a studio anyway. So it's hard to say.

In 2010, both the knowledge and equipment are accessible. I wouldn't use words like success but I would say that good to great recordings are possible that are on a par with pro studios and that it's more than possible to find equipment to help achieve that. With the plethora of websites and books that are now around, the situation of near silence on the matter that existed 30 or so years back can never again return unless the world ends next wednesday or we run out of electricity by monday week.

Having listened to some of the music recorded by people in their studios at home here on HR.com, the recording quality can not only be taken to the nth degree, it often is. It's like the pro scene - not everything recorded in professional studios over the last 60 years has been good quality. Some engineers and producers have a greater aptitude for it than others. And the home scene is bound to have that too.

I'd like to know exactly which people think it is easy. Are these people with recording experience ? Or people that think you just press 'play' and 'record' and that's it, rather like some think being a footballer or darts player or politician or parent is 'easy' ? No, it's not easy. There is a learning curve and alot of practice and frustration along the way. But it's fulfilling and often fun.
Some people do find it easy but even for those that don't, you get to point where effective practices become almost automatic or at least one's choices are pretty easilly made. It's not suicidally difficult, either.

Actually, I don't agree with this. I think the capabilities of the home studio vary depending on the person(s) that has the studio.

Well, I've been recording since 1992, I've put together with friends 10 albums with a further 14 or so on the way. Of the first five, I consider some of them to be unlistenable and I'm no perfectionist by any stretch of the imagination. But I enjoy all the stages and can turn my hand to them, rather like I used to do with photography.

I have no idea how much money has gone into this hobby of mine but being a cheapskate, I can tell you it ain't much ! The focus has been instruments, recording and production stuff and bits of software (in the main, virtual instruments). Back in '92 I spent £1000 near enough on the 8 track portastudio that I learned most of this craft on. I spent £350 on a Hammond organ, £200 on a Fender Rhodes electric piano, I have a massive gong-like cymbal that was £85 second hand and my electric guitar and bass each cost between £100-£120. I've had loads of effects pedals and modules, percussion, an upright piano, an electric drumkit, you know, various bits and pieces that just make up a boring list when you go back 20-30 years. But the cost picture is also somewhat deceptive. My two electro acoustics (one 6, one 12 string) were both bought for me as have other items, and I used to get lots of stuff at this instrument exchange that had a chain of book, record, game and clothes shops and you could sell stuff there. If you accepted money, you wouldn't get much, but if you accepted exchange vouchers that you could only spend in their shops, you'd make twice the amount. So if you sold £50 worth of books, you could walk off with that in cash or take £100 in vouchers. That's how I got the £85 cymbal and the cello, for instance. So in effect, with selling and swapping I acquired instruments and equipment that cost alot for nothing. So the investment picture isn't as straightforward as saying "Oh, I've sunk £50,000 into this". When you're not a rich person in this game, a little wheeler dealing is of the essence ! :D But certain things are much cheaper now than when I first started.

As for illegal software, only once. :eek:But this was back when I was computer illiterate :o and I really didn't know, especially as I bought the stuff on e-bay. Actually, it wasn't till about 4 years later that I found out, when our computer crashed and I tried to load the thing onto my new laptop. I tried to locate the guy I'd bought it from for the answer to the challenge code and he'd obviously disappeared. I wrote to the company that made the software (Spectrasonics) and explained my lot, but they said there was nothing they could do without locating the original seller. The irony was that I thought the software was crap anyway. I only tried to reload it because I didn't want to chuck it away. Which I had to in the end !! But I don't go for pirate stuff. A few people have offered or asked but my reply is "Nay, Amos". :D

It sort of just happened. Back in the early 80s when I was learning how to play bass, I used to record jams with my neighbour who played guitar and my friend that played drums. So early on I was looking at ways to facilitate recording. Then in 1990, I picked up a clavinet and some percussion stuff, mics and a hernia inducing bass amp cheap from a shop that was closing down and started jamming in earnest with my drummer friend and recording them. I came by some money the following year and bought a double bass and because there was lots of cash left over, on a whim I bought a 4 track cassette portastudio, a Fostex X-15. I hadn't actually been thinking about seriously recording, it was, I suppose, just a head dream and I didn't get around to using the X-15 for over a year, in which time I acquired a drumkit, a mandolin and had access to an electric guitar. My mate and I started recording the songs we'd written but the X-15 was too limiting so I decided to buy an 8 track and it kind of rolled on from there. It was largely unconscious, just one of a few interests I had at the time, like photography.

In all honesty, songwise, pretty good, if somewhat off the wall at times. In terms of actual recording and mixing, not good. Most of my stuff has been done on a Tascam 488 8 track cassette portastudio and more recently on an Akai DPS 12i, mixing down via a Sony stereo amp. I don't think equipment has been the issue, just my ability. If I had been doing this every day for the last 20 years, it might well be a different story but I've always done this in the context of other things make up my life........In terms of improvement, that's why I came on board at HR.com. Ideas weren't the issue, but the technical aspect. It's been challenging but I've been learning and applying where I feel the need. Time will tell, I guess.

Just check out stuff by Supercreep's band, Little Purple Circles or RAMI's stuff. Anywhere here on HR that carries posts by them will have links to their music pages. There are others but they'll do you for starters.

#1- A home studio can be very "real"- or not. What makes it a home studio is-somebody lives there.

#2- Yes, absolutely. The availability of prosumer recording gear has devastated the recording studio industry.

#3- Knowledge and equipment are readily available. The hard things are expertise and money. Knowledge does not equal expertise, and gear requires money. Anyone can read a book on brain surgery. It won't make them a neurosurgeon. Recording is technical, but it is also an art, and some people are naturally better at it than others. Years of experience can compensate for lack of artistic talent-up to a point.

#4- As far as you want- that is to say- almost any home can be transformed into a recording studio. It just takes time, work, a ton of money, and experience. See #1 above. If I lived at Abbey Road, Abbey Road would be a home studio. There is no dividing line. It's like we are talking about "transportation". Your skateboard, my Ferrari.

#5-No. In a word, it's not easy. It is an art and a profession. It's not any easier than it was for me to become a Registered Nurse.

#6- The genre recorded is not the deciding factor, although it will affect how funds are allocated. If you record symphonic classical music, you probably don't have a lot of money sunk into drum triggers and synths.

#7- I'm a small-time recording artist. I've been in the business for 35 years. I used to make a living playing music, but now I'm an advanced hobbyist. I've been recording things for about eight years, including some paying work, both in the studio and in remote locations.

#8- I've got between $35,000 and $40,000 invested, and my focus has been recording real acoustic sound in real acoustic space, especially early and rennaisance music, classical music, world music, acoustic folk, and occasional rock, blues, and reggae. That means most of my money is in the front end- mics, preamps, analog to digital conversion, etc., and far less in processing, software, effects, etc. I have done *nothing* illegal, down to the last fracking mechanical license.

#9- My wife put me up to recording an album of my songs. I built the studio to do that- and it may have gotten a little out of hand. Once having built a studio, it seemed reasonable to use it to record stuff.

#10- The quality of my work?- Fair. You can hear some clips here:

http://bardwire.com/reunion.htm

How could it be better? By increasing my expertise in the technical side of post production- compression, EQ, midi, reamping, tempo mapping, etc.

Hope that helps.-Richie

Back