the eternal debate rages on...

shadowfax

I really cant decide between either a pair of Oktava MK012s or a pair of MXL603S'. ARG what to do, what to do? I could afford either one, but my mic cabinent is in fairly sparse condition, and there are other needs to consider. Thus far, this is what i have:

4 x AKG C418s (toms)
1 x AKG D112 (take a wild guess)
2 x AKG C1000s (ugh - overheads)
1 x Shure SM57 (snare, multipurpose)
1 x Cascade M-20 (AKA SE electronics SE2000. it sucks.)

i got the cascade free, and the AKGs came in a pack i got a good deal on. I intend to pick up another SM57 to either mic the underside of the snare or a piccolo snare when i eventually get one, as i intend to do, or to be able to record my drums and the rest of my band with something other than the Cascade, which, - did i mention? - sucks.

So, in the somewhat near future i intend to get another SM57, a multipurpose LD to replace the cascade, (i'm thinking AT4033), but most pressing is the need for, and i think this must have been apparent to everyone who's ever read anything at all, a pair of SDs to use as overheads instead of the C1000s. I will also use the SDs i decide on for recording acoustic guitar and perhaps violin until i get a ribbon mic (christmas, probably.)

As I've said, i could afford either, but the oktavas would obviously put more of a limit on my choices for other things that i need. There has been much debate on other threads between the two mics, but here i'll provide a dedicated forum for the subject to be frankly discussed with only a slight coloring of the debate added by the specifics of my situation. I look forward to reading your replies! Thanks.

P.S. do you think i'll be able to get at least 200 US$ for the two C1000s on ebay? they're in near perfect condition.

Also, do either have a pad?

Last edited:
shadowfax said:
Also, do either have a pad?

That's really what this whole debate comes down to.

I've used both the 603's and the mc012's extensively as drum overheads and on accoustic guitar.

They sound basically identical. The mc012, however, has some added advantages . . . it has interchangeable capsules, and yes, one of those capsules (that comes with it) is a -10 db pad. Yet another capsule will allow you to turn it in to a hypercardiod or omni-directional, and yet another one will even turn it in to a Large-diaphragm Condenser (the lomo head).

In my opinion, the interchangeable capsules give it an edge in versatility, and for that reason, it's more than worth the extra $$. The 603 is one mic, one pattern, one sound. It's an mc012 without the interchangeable capsules.

Sonically, though, there's really no "debate" going on here. You're comparing really good apples to really good apples.

Never heard the 603's, but I've a pair of 012's and I'd agree....I'd tend to go for them....I've only got the cardioid's and the pad caps, but they sound brilliant and for the money I don't think you can go wrong....and on top of that....If like me you get the basic setup at first....you always know that when ever you're incline, the mics are upgradeable....I'd say go with the Oktava apples...

Back