The end of the world, I-IV-V style

mattdee1

Hey ladies and gents, long time no talk!

I recorded this ditty last week, and have already made some tweaks to the mix based on feedback from a home recorder friend of mine. He said the original mix had too much sizzle, so I tried to tone that down.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any feedback that can be provided on the latest mix. The song is called "The Bitter End".

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=937891&songID=9400047

Many thanks
Matt

Hi Mattdee1 long time no see...

ok, i found the vocals a buried, and the drums i'll bring the up a little. The rest sounds fine to me...

Regards

I agree with Zero. I'd bring the lead guitar down a bit, though, and put a little more sizzle back to the rythmn guitar, just a little. Your voice is awesome.

Nice catchy song. Performances were nice. Liked the harmonies.

Didn't care for the treatment on the lead vocals. They kind of sounded unnatural, and I would think that for a song like this you'd want them sounding natural. Like a plate or room verb.

Guitars sounded a little small and distant. Missing some high mids.

Might want to turn the bass up a db or two.

Cool. I think this sounds great and a really fun listen too.

The drums sound really nice. The whole rhythm section has a great stomp to it. Vocal performance is very nice as well. Certainly no over-abundance of sizzle at this point...the shakers (off to each side - is that what they are?) combined with the processing of your voice does impart a little crispiness to the whole thing, but no trace of sizzle elsewhere. I thought the guitars, particularly the lead bit, sounded nice.

Good to hear one of your tunes again man. :)

This is a cool pop song...reminds me of that mid-nineties pop vibe. Man I miss the 90's. Really lovin' the all the vocal performances. I might like to hear a version with the lead vocal up front and more present, but then again some of my favorite albums have vocals that are practically buried underneath everything (not saying these are), so I try and take the whole vibe of the mix in when I listen. ambiance and vibe go along way. I really enjoyed it. Listened twice.:D

Good song. The instrumentation all sounds pretty good.

My only nit is TripleM's comment on vocals. They sound like you're singing alone in a very small room. They could use some reverb.

Thanks very much for the feedback, guys. I'm starting to agree with the lead guitar being a tad loud. When my friend made the comment about too much sizzle on my first mix, I didn't apply a shred of EQ, I simply adjusted the relative levels of the two electric guitar tracks. One was done with a rather hot bridge pickup, the other with a warmer neck pickup.

Didn't care for the treatment on the lead vocals. They kind of sounded unnatural, and I would think that for a song like this you'd want them sounding natural. Like a plate or room verb.

My only nit is TripleM's comment on vocals. They sound like you're singing alone in a very small room. They could use some reverb.

Fair enough; the vocals on this track were a bit of an experiment for me. For the lead vocal, I did two tracks: one with a normal kind of approach and the other with the LDC mic about 5 feet away. So just about any and all reverberation you hear is from my completely untreated basement. I panned them very slightly left and right of center, with a bit of a bias on the distant vocal take. I guess I can understand how it might not sound right to some, but when I first heard it play back I realized it was along the lines of what I was hearing in my head, so I left it alone.

Back