The dreaded "getting started" question

MM2

I am upgrading to a DAW (PC) after 7 years of four tracking and squirreling away some pretty decent gear. I record live instruments and I'm not much interested in MIDI. I figure I'll need 4 ins and outs, minimum (pref. balanced). I like the looks of the Aark Direct Pro and the Seasound, for the fact that they're pre-amped and I wouldn't need a mixer. I figured I'd run N-Track to get the hang of the DAW environment, 'cause it looks pretty friendly. My question is: are there any other products I should consider (soundcards & software); and what should I look for/require when I purchase the PC?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions--I know these type of questions are kinda naive!

Sure some quick info:

- Get a motherboard based on the Intel 440BX Chipset, with no built in audio or video(ASUS P3B-F is a good one). The VIA chipset may be ok, but you might have compatibility problems with Aark Direct and other prosumer sound cards. With the AMD Athlon chipsets, VIA KX and AMD's 751 you will have problems. Avoid the Intel I810, 820, 840 chipsets.

- Lots of memory. 128MB minimum.

- Processor: Celerons are most cost effective, but the PIII FC's are not to out of reach either. Let your budget decide.

- Hard Drive's. 2 drives are really the way to go. One for your Operating System, and one just for Audio Data storage. 7200 RPM's strongly recommended. Quantum KX, LM. IBM Deskstars. Capacity, 8 to 15GB for your software. 20GB for your audio data should last you awhile.

- Operating System. Many will recommend Windows 2000, and I have no doubt it works better than 98 for them. I don't use it, so I will suggest Windows 98 :). But, Windows 98 lite (www.98lite.com). Also, a dual boot setup is optimum(www.masterbooter.com). One for your games, internet, word processing and one for recording software only.

- A CD burner for archiving your audio data. Mitsumi's are my fav.

- A soundcard. Many to choose from, Aardvark, gadget etc. You do the research. Of course, if you don't have or want or need to buy a mixer, the Aark might be your best bet.

Well some ideas anyway. I don't know what your budget is, but hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Emeric (edited 06-02-2000).]

I will agree with most everything Emeric said. As for a recording card, I might suggest the Gadget Labs Wave8/24 card. For $499 you get 8 balance analog in / out. I am using one with Cakewalk 9 and an analog mixer, since I too use many miced instruments and limited Midi. They also make a cheaper 4 channel card. You can check it out at www.gadgetlabs.com

If you're using n-track you'll want to use Win2000 as your operating system. I've heard enough good things from others that I'm seriously considering switching from Win98 to 2000. Does Win98lite work well with n-track? If it does, ignore my previous comments. ;^{)

MikeDog

N-Track works well with 98lite. I would recommend W2k anyway as it's the best OS that MS has released so far ans n-Track works even better on it than 98lite. I think n-Track in particular benefits from W2k and NT while it may be six or half a dozen for many other apps. Switch to W2k and you'll never return.

/Ola

Back