The digital desk is dead!

rob aylestone

In the office, I have a live feed from the theatre auditorium, and something this morning made me get up and go down to discover the Yamaha desk had been powered up with an error message - data errors. The desk powered up with everything empty. Loading the backup show file restored some things but the two stageboxes, one on stage for mics and one in the pit for their mics and in ear systems were showing odd patches, weird EQ and a totally unworking system. Our Sound A1 then started repatching, estimating gains, setting routing and everything. We made show time with 5 mins delay to letting people in, and went up on time. It's been traced to a £3 battery inside and worse - it can only be replaced powered down, so we will have to do everything again tomorrow. He's taken photos of every screen so he can replicate the setup - what a pain!

• Angry
Reactions: TAE
In the office, I have a live feed from the theatre auditorium, and something this morning made me get up and go down to discover the Yamaha desk had been powered up with an error message - data errors. The desk powered up with everything empty. Loading the backup show file restored some things but the two stageboxes, one on stage for mics and one in the pit for their mics and in ear systems were showing odd patches, weird EQ and a totally unworking system. Our Sound A1 then started repatching, estimating gains, setting routing and everything. We made show time with 5 mins delay to letting people in, and went up on time. It's been traced to a £3 battery inside and worse - it can only be replaced powered down, so we will have to do everything again tomorrow. He's taken photos of every screen so he can replicate the setup - what a pain!
Ouch! Technology a fricking little battery replacement will cost you hours of time in redoing everything

Those little CR2025 battery keep the world working! They are in everything. I hate the ones with the solder tabs. It makes it a pain to replace the dang thing, when they could have just have easily put in a holder, so the battery could be replaced in about 10 seconds.

That is why you should always backup patches/desk scene on a usb drive. Never had that happen to my TF1, but its a policy of mine just in case I need to swap or load into a different rig.

Back