The Deepest End - alternative rock - feedback puhlease?

the bass is buried to me, kick is fine.

Yeah, that's the biggest nit I heard. It's a very clear mix, but the bass is barely audible. It also seemed to be lacking in low end through a lot of it.
I found this especially pronounced in the verses. When the guitar is doing dun-dun chugchug thing (the high dotted quarter note chords and low single 8th notes), the low part seemed to have a lot more body.

Yeah, that's the biggest nit I heard. It's a very clear mix, but the bass is barely audible. It also seemed to be lacking in low end through a lot of it.
I found this especially pronounced in the verses. When the guitar is doing dun-dun chugchug thing (the high dotted quarter note chords and low single 8th notes), the low part seemed to have a lot more body.

k. i need to spend more time getting bass working properly for my mixes. The "low-mid cut" method is what i've been working with, so that the lows (power) and highs (definition/pick) take over (not to mention giving room for the guitars in the 120-6khz area). That might be the right thing to do, and maybe I just need to dial in the right settings on the amp head. Honestly, something like the microphone I'm selecting might be the problem too. Amp4 has a bunch, and I think this track is using a 57 blended with a 414. I might ditch the 57 and go with the single 414 or select a diff mic instead.

I cut the mids with EQ, pre compression, and then do the same on the amp head. It might be overkill. this is the basic chain I use for bass:

1) EQ. HP 40hz, -10db at 500 w/ Q of 1, LP around 7khz
2) comp - somewhere around 8.5:1 w/ slow attack and med release, max of 9db gain reduction
3) amp head/cab - more EQ, mics, etc

Out of the ballpark! Great song. Your vocals are getting better and better with each song. Kick 1k-1.5k (somewhere in there, maybe just a bit higher) up a couple dB and see if that makes the vocal clarity spark up.
Yeah, for bass I use a ribbon blended with a dynamic on the 8x10 cab. I usually add a 18 folded with just a 57 in front of it as a second (parallel) track (with the same performance) to fatten the bottom up (set the hi pass on the 8x10 up around 450 Hz and the lo pass on the 18 just above that), then just cut a bit around 300-350 to make room for all the other stuff that has to go there. You'll need to send the two channels into a bus for EQ/compression/etc. once you get the blend right. :)
Everything is TOP NOTCH on this recording. These are just things to try to get that little nudge...

Hey thanks. I actually do add to the kick right there, weirdly, but maybe I should put it up a bit more for the click. Thanks.

I'll try messing with the blend a bit. I think I left it at default, so each has equal weight. I'll play with it for the next track and see if I can get it to bite a little but still have the low power. Thanks dude

I like it. Whatever technical nits people could come up with are overshadowed by your skill in songwriting, performance, production etc.
Me, with regards to your stuff, i just listen to the song.

I realize this is a "tear apart the mix" forum. But I find myself just grooving wirh the tune and listening to it develop.

Besides, I just do stoneage rock and roll, and think Free's Mr. Big, and the Stone's Give me Shelter are great mixes.

Oh and Hendrix's Voodoo Child is a GREAT mix!

What the hell do I know? I'm obviously biased towards a great song which kind of disqualifies me for giving mix critique.
:D

Anyway, good stuff.

Oh, btw, I'll get back to your pm. Sorry been busy and forgot.

Did you not see this? My post was not technical enough for a response?

Did you not see this? My post was not technical enough for a response?

Duuuuuude, I was waiting for the PM.?

Thank you, what you said means a lot to me. You really have no idea. I wouldn't keep doing this stuff if no one cared or liked it...well, maybe I would. But still. Lol. I'd think the mix sounds good enough if you can groove out to the song, so saying just that helps too. Thanks man.

I really like this song. It reminds me quite a lot of Placebo in the vocal. The weak point is the drums/ bottom end. The drums are seriously lacking the weighty low end that would take this track to the next level. You're one of those rare beasts in the clinic that has a seriously professional quality voice. It's amazing, and your treatment of it is perfect for the song. If you get the drums and low end sorted out, you're definitely heading for a top quality commercial alt-rock product.

Great stuff.

I really like this song. It reminds me quite a lot of Placebo in the vocal. The weak point is the drums/ bottom end. The drums are seriously lacking the weighty low end that would take this track to the next level. You're one of those rare beasts in the clinic that has a seriously professional quality voice. It's amazing, and your treatment of it is perfect for the song. If you get the drums and low end sorted out, you're definitely heading for a top quality commercial alt-rock product.

Great stuff.

Ok great, thanks! Can you elaborate on the low end of the drums? Is it the kick specifically? This is Superior Drummer, by the way. Hope you come back since I'm about to lay out my kick treatment for you...?

3 mics in the vst. Bounced out after I finish writing. The 3 kicks are sent to a bus with the following:

1) eq- HP 40Hz , cut in low mids around 500 with a wide q. Slight boost up top around 1.5 for the beater.
2) comp. Around 4:1 with slow attack and med release. About 4 db reduction on peaks.

That's all. Then the master bus stuff has some effect since it grabs the kick the most in this mix. I let the "kick in" mic lead and the "kick out" and "kick sub" mics are about 7db lower than the in mic. The sub mic has eq with a LP around 500 since there isn't anything up top anyway.

Thanks man

I don't know how to mix VST drums. If it were a real kit, I'd be pulling out the 250-400 Hz in the kick and boosting the 50-70 Hz and 3-4k for the beater. I'd be doing the same (low end-wise) with the overheads. Then I'd be limiting the kick, compressing the drum buss heavily with a fairly fast attack and release, and bringing up the level. There's just not enough weight and impact in the drums and bass for this song. I'm not an expert in this, by any means, but that's the area where I feel this track is lacking in order to realise the potential of everything else.

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful, I'm an amateur myself.

No worries at all. Yeah that's pretty much my technique. I do have a little bump at 80Hz, I forgot to mention. Hmmm... It could be the kick itself. It's a "pop rock" kit. I have a new rock expansion I bought the other day for this exact reason. Plus the cymbals.

Thanks dude

No worries at all. Yeah that's pretty much my technique. I do have a little bump at 80Hz, I forgot to mention. Hmmm... It could be the kick itself. It's a "pop rock" kit. I have a new rock expansion I bought the other day for this exact reason. Plus the cymbals.

Thanks dude

Ha! This track needs the "Nirvana" expansion. Alt rock isn't about being "nice". It is the bastard child of punk and it needs to deliver in the impact department. :D

Ha! This track needs the "Nirvana" expansion. Alt rock isn't about being "nice". It is the bastard child of punk and it needs to deliver in the impact department. :D

That's my band right there. JDOD and I got into a long PM about them awhile ago. I would definitely say they influence my music a lot considering all the music I've heard in my life is about 75% them. Not joking.

I do like having the options though as I write a lot pop rock stuff, less heavy and more "people-friendly". I needed to get some shit off my chest with this one , I guess, so it came out grungier.

That's my band right there. JDOD and I got into a long PM about them awhile ago. I would definitely say they influence my music a lot considering all the music I've heard in my life is about 75% them. Not joking.

I do like having the options though as I write a lot pop rock stuff, less heavy and more "people-friendly". I needed to get some shit off my chest with this one , I guess, so it came out grungier.

I don't know if you are aware of the British band "Placebo", but a quick listen might be of interest to you.

It's blocked for me until lunch - another 3 hours. I checked Amazon Prime Music, and they're not on there.

Back