The D Word [Acoustic Ballad]

STAT1STICK

I have recently taken on a local talent called My Something Box and I've agreed to record a 10 track EP for them. This is the first track. It sounds fine to me and to the artist but I'm always game for a second opinion. Please give it a listen and let me know if there is anything that seems off with the mix/master. I am including a Soundcloud link and a link to the WAV.

WAV file via Dropbox

Mix sounds good.

It is very long. I don't subscribe that a song can't be long, but in this case, you could make a good song much better by cutting it down, by as much as 2-3 minutes. I didn't hear anything that supported it being that long.

I may be wrong, but that was my first thought.

Sounds nice, I agree with DM60 tho, it's way too long, The song for me would have more impact if it was about 4 minutes long max. But on a technical level I thought it was excellent, one question tho, are the strings on the guitar new? They did sound a bit dead, new strings on the guitar and 4 minutes long and this song would be amazing.

Well.......a bit drawn out. Far too long for my taste but........hey........if the artist likes it and you like it.........that's all you really need right? The only other thing I'd mention is that the voice / vocal is a bit "unclear" / muddy and could use some more presence in the mix. Not more forward....just more clarity to cut through. Some EQ probably. My 2 cents.

I liked the song and the mix seemed pretty well balance, for the most part. I have to agree with the other comments here though, too long for the repetitive nature of the song and I had trouble making out the lyrics. I like to be able to hear and understand the lyrics when I listen to a song. Try to make the vox stand out more if you can.

Thanks guys! I'll talk to him about shortening the song up a bit. I'd have to agree with you about the length. I was thinking the same thing when I saw the time on it. While I was recording it, it didn't really seem like it was that long. But, I guess they never do. Would you say that the vocal issue is mix related or performance related? I'm sure I can bring out some clarity in the vocals a bit by adjusting the EQ some. Thanks for listening.

I can't say that a vocal issue is mix related or performance related really. I'd try to EQ it a bit and see what happens. If you can't get it to where you need it...........then it was likely performance related and you might consider asking him to do it again.

Back