The cost of cabling

lot's of good tips on cable making here. here's a recap and a couple of my own for anyone getting started with soldering cables.

safety:

wear eye protection. i've been popped in the face a couple of times by hot solder. it didn't leave a mark but had it went in my eye.......

don't breathe the smoke and don't let it get in your eyes. position yourself so that your face isn't directly above the solder joint, where the smoke will go. a fan that's sucking the smoke outdoors is a big plus.

place your solder iron on a clean work space in FRONT of you with it's cables out of the path of household traffic. not on the side, on a chair, etc. it's easy to get burned or burn something like a table, carpet, etc. if you aren't careful.

if you're using one of those cheap irons, weigh the iron holder down so that it doesn't move or slide around easily. every time i've been burned was because of either one of those cheap metal ring iron holders or because the holder fell over.

cable making tips:

strip and dry fit your cables and connectors before soldering. don't forget to put those 1/4" sleeves on first. DON'T FORGET TO PUT THOSE 1/4" SLEAVES ON FIRST.

a good pair of cable strippers is very helpful. when used with care, a razor blade works just as well (probably better) but is much slower.

secure your parts before soldering. arrange the parts in a vise, clamps, vise grips, etc. so that nothing moves. this will save you a bunch of aggravation. in a pinch you can double up a rubber band on the handles of plyers to hold parts.

keep your iron tip clean and tinned at all times. the tip should look shiny and wet after tinning. i might be a little obsessive about it but i clean the tip on a damp sponge after every joint and immediately tin it before placing the iron back in it's holder. i tin the tip just before each joint too.

use clean connectors and cable. there's nothing more aggravating for a soldering newbie than trying to join dirty parts. you can heat the parts all day long and still not make a solid connection when working with dirty parts. i use alcohol and/or 0000 steel wool for cleaning parts of oily residue and oxidation. if the joint doesn't immediately go together, there's a 99% chance it's because of dirty parts. more heat won't make it work and "dirty" isn't always visible.

after clamping, dry fitting the parts and tin your connectors and the ends of wires. all wires should be twisted tight with no strays before tinning. this makes for easy, solid joints. most of the time i don't need to add much if any solder when heating the joint. position the iron tip to heat both parts at the same time. to tin a terminal or wire, heat it with the tinned iron and push the solder into the terminal or wire. don't try to transfer solder from the tip to the parts.

if you're using a low wattage iron give it time between joints to recover it's heat. 15 seconds should be plenty of time for heat recovery when using a puny iron. for larger joints it shouldn't take more than a few seconds to heat the joint for sufficient solder flow. for typical cable joints, one second should be plenty of time for heating. if the solder doesn't flow quickly when applying heat, either the parts are dirty, the iron is too small for the job (doesn't recover it's heat quickly), or the tip is too small to provide good heater transfer.

don't scratch your soldering iron tip on anything. it has a coating that must be in good condition for good heat transfer. if you keep your iron in a tool box, use something to protect the tip from scrapes and scratches. if your tip doesn't wet out, it's time for a new one. you shouldn't ever need to apply any pressure on a joint when using a hot, clean, tinned tip that's in good condition.

don't let your iron sit unused for very long while it's powered up. the heat build up will fatigue the coating on the tip. imo, 15 minutes or more is too long. it will kill a cheapie tip (radio shack and similar) in no time or at the very least, decrease it's life drastically.

soldering is an excellent skill to have. it can save you money, time, and more money. it's not difficult or particularly dangerous when using common sense and care. for the cost of a single cable you can have the bare necessities to get started: an iron, solder, sponge, razor blade or strippers, wire cutters, eye protection, and a couple of something's for clamping.

TravisinFlorida said:
DON'T FORGET TO PUT THOSE 1/4" SLEAVES ON FIRST.

:D

Excellent.

Hemostats are great for holding & as heatsinks.

Cable gets cheaper the more you buy, find a buddy or two to go in with you if you can.

Minion said:
I make most of my Own cables and I use a 25w iron that I get for 0.99c (under a Dollar each) and they seem to work just fine for Soldering cables....they heat up to max temp in about 3 minutes and stay hot, They aren"t ideal as they are cheaply made and wear out in about 2 months but when your as Poor as me there are few other options (I live off of about $100 a month)......

:D
I use those too. My only complaint is that their own electric cables are too short (about 2 1/2 feet), making it necessary to make new cables for them. But when one iron goes bad, I can splice its cable onto the new one. :)

SonicAlbert said:
I learned how to build my own cables as well. If you need a lot of cables this is much cheaper than buying them all, and you can build cables with much better wire and connectors than you could buy for the same money or even a lot more money.

The other advantage is you can build exactly what you need. So custom lengths and custom ends are no problem. They cables can be matched to the space and gear much better.

I really think that soldering cables is one of the best skills someone with a studio can learn. Whether it be a pro commercial studio or a home studio.

same here. i build my own 24 channel balanced 1/4 " snakes. I built elco blocks for my patchbays. Once you're set up in a spot (our studio has a room we turned into a tech room where all the soldering stuff is) you're good to go.

Now i have bulk reels of cabling hanging around in case i need one. it is SO much cheaper, and educational!

eyeteeth said:
SonicAlbert and brendandwyer

Where you guys get your supplies?

i buy my cabling and connectors from redco.com

lots of analog and digital products as well as tools and connectors, rack hardware and so forth.

crazydoc said:
I use those too. My only complaint is that their own electric cables are too short (about 2 1/2 feet), making it necessary to make new cables for them. But when one iron goes bad, I can splice its cable onto the new one. :)
But how do you solder that? :p

mshilarious said:
Heh.

Yeah, first you use the Rat Shack iron to do cables. Next, you decide you need the $40 Weller to do a decent job. Then you say, hey I'm getting the hang of this, I should try a few mods. Then you find yourself opening every bit of gear you've got to see if there is anything you could reasonably justify modding. Then you start making your own gear. Then you start selling it. Then you say, hey this $40 Weller isn't cutting it, I need the $125 model. By then you have probably bought the fume extractor, too.

I haven't gotten to the next step, which is $800 digitally controlled solder/rework station. :eek: After that, I dunno, a solder bath, probably :confused:

All on account a few cables :o

Then I thank your cables :)

nddhc said:
Yeah I can only imagine what it will be like once I have enough gear to have a use for something like a patch bay :D

just wait til you get a patchbay! You;ll need mega cables. I started making them along time ago. It will save you a ton of money. It just requires some time.

I get most of my connectors and cabling at fullcompass.com. The prices are pretty good, and if you buy in bulk the price per unit goes down.

Don't you hate it when you are reusing a 1/4 inch balance jack and after you remove the jacket you find that someone has clipped the ring (cold) tab to make it unbalanced (tip/sleeve)? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Fishmed_Returns said:
Don't you hate it when you are reusing a 1/4 inch balance jack and after you remove the jacket you find that someone has clipped the ring (cold) tab to make it unbalanced (tip/sleeve)? :mad: :mad: :mad:

You know, those only cost $1 . . .

I have always used Markertek for parts. www.markertek.com They have everything and then some. I am a Canare Star Quad fan myself. Some nice Nuetrik and Canare make for a great cable. And I agree, get a decent iron. I did the Rat Shack 25w deal myself adn it just slows you down and is frustrating. You can't know how well solder can flow until you get a good iron. One of those Tenma 50w solder stations is like $29 and worth it. Not the fanciest thing in the world, but for casual use, spend the $29.

http://www.mcmconnect.com/tenma/product/21-7945/Soldering Stations

Last edited:
Does anyone have any good pointers (no pun intended :D ) to help keep the tips of the irons clean?

Fishmed_Returns said:
Does anyone have any good pointers (no pun intended :D ) to help keep the tips of the irons clean?

in between nearly every joint (HAHAHAHAHAHHA) i dip my tip into one of these dealies

sd182.jpg

and when my tip gets really mucked up, i use a sponge like this

104x779_pli.jpg

and when i want to coat my tip to get it ready for action i did it right on in one of these thing-a-ma-bobbers

image427.jpg

brendandwyer said:
in between nearly every joint (HAHAHAHAHAHHA) i dip my tip into one of these dealies

sd182.jpg

and when my tip gets really mucked up, i use a sponge like this

104x779_pli.jpg

and when i want to coat my tip to get it ready for action i did it right on in one of these thing-a-ma-bobbers

image427.jpg

why is IMG coding off???

Back