The coolest thing for the bass since it became electric!

What did u think?

• Man that sounds awesome

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I don't get it

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Its dumb

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Im too lazy to try it

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

Phil02

Well ok, maby that was an exaggeration, but anyways I was playing around with my mouse tracking ball and i got out my bass... I ran it down the string, and it sounded cool but then i like bounced it off the string... it made a cool voice like sound so i did it manually and it sound cool as crap. I justlike patted the string(down by the pickups) and did a slaping technique, but the string didnt hit the frets. It sounds cool as crap. You should try it.

Dude you must be really bored. However, I'll probably try it myself when I have a chance.

A few years ago I saw a Peter Gabriel concert on TV. The bass player was playing with these wierd sticks on the fingers of his right hand. The camera never showed enough of it to be really clear what they were or how he used them. I suppose they would give a bright slap sound. They looked like they at least 6 inches longer than his fingers. Or maybe he just had long finger nails.

Twist

The bassplayer you saw is Tony Levin of King Crinsom, solo artist and top studio ace.

In experimenting with sounds in the studio using drum sticks to hit the strings he came up with this idea. He basically cut some drum sticks short and used latex tubing to secure them to his fingers. He even sells them on his website.

Do a search for Pappa Bear Records. There is all kinds of interesting stuff.

Thanks Alchuck for the correction and link.

I was at work earlier today and could not look up the link.

The seem like they would be easy enough to make if you really wanted to.

I remember really freaking out when I first saw him using them on SNL (I think) with Peter Gabriel. the camera panned over to Tony and at a first glance he looked like some kind of alien with fingers a foot long. Cool sounds though.

Back