the colours of noise

AFXSguy

hi there, i know that the colours of noise are basically a constantly playing set of frequencies, and each has it's own purpose... but in laymans terms, what are they all for. ive heard of people using noise to acoustically tune a room. what are the other uses? i did a bit of research, and found THIS . but that doesn't help me with what they are used for.

also, how would one achieve getting these colours of noise? i know you can get a white noise generator... but can you get generators for each? or can you get a CD that will play these. maybe a CD with noise is useless because of the limitations in quality... i dont know. that why im asking you guys :D

(im just getting impatient because ill be in school for this kind of stuff in a year or two)

thanks in advance.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/audio/equal.html

Try this site... good description of white and pink noise...

White noise is usually used for electronic measurements within the signal chain since the signal amplitude is equal across all measured frequencies... Pink noise for audible acoustic measurements because the signal power or sound level is equal across all measured frequencies...

thanks guys... but what about the other colours (like blue noise). what do they use the other colours for?

Last edited:
hey haha... ive been trying to think of a good name for my solo project. then i went to check this thread and it hit me. what about "the colours of noise" as the name for my solo project? i think it sounds cool. and for you americans, colours is spelled with a "u" because im canadian :D

"the colours of noise"

...it has a ring to it! well, the ring sounds like a big muffled mess of frequencies... not like a normal ring (okay lame joke lol)

Back