The Brick is built like a brick.

rdozz

I have been using the brick to track some vocals male and female through different mics AT4050 and AT4040. So far I have been very impressed. The sound is detailed with very good midrange clarity. It holds up well compared to my GR ME-1NV and RNP. I can see the Brick is going to get some use, I like the way it sounds. I took some pics of the guts because this thing is built like a brick. Look at the size of the input and output transformers. Amazing compared to it's price point. Hope this is helpful....

Rob

Attachments

• DSCF0105.JPG
    DSCF0105.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 502
  • DSCF0104.JPG
    DSCF0104.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 406
  • DSCF0101.JPG
    DSCF0101.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 362
  • DSCF0100.JPG
    DSCF0100.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
If someone thought it would be helpful, I will post 4 vocal tracks using the AT4050 in cardiod:
1 GR
2 RNP
3 GT brick
4 Soundcraft M8 no EQ

My wife will sing the tracks, last time someone said my wife could not sing. Maybe she will do a better job this time..lol

Let me know,
Rob

Just curious, it's hard to see from the photos, but are the tubes oriented so they are on their sides? In other words, is the circuit board mounted to the side of the unit or the bottom? In the DITTO the board was on the bottom of the case.

I would also be interested in your test. If you can't post wav files, please do one of the higher quality mp3 formats. I have the brick (and dig it), but would be interested in the comparison to the GR. Perhap do this test blind and post without telling us which is which until later?

SonicAlbert said:
Just curious, it's hard to see from the photos, but are the tubes oriented so they are on their sides? In other words, is the circuit board mounted to the side of the unit or the bottom? In the DITTO the board was on the bottom of the case.

I'm looking in the vents of mine and there is definately a circuit board mounted to the side.

The board is on it's side (as Strave said) and I will start the tracking tonight......Did you see the size of the audio transformers? I thought it was amazing, was the quarter visible in the photo? I put it there for ref.

Rob

Last edited:
I'd love to hear some clips. I had the RNP, and was thinking of picking up a GR MP1nv this week. I'd love to save some cash if the brick is good enough.

Listening to cheap computer speakers, but test one sounds the most open. the last one is definitely the most "blanketed" to me.

FYI:
RNP
GR
Soundcraft
BRICK
Yamaha

Rob

BTW: I just got a BLUE mouse, I ordered from e-bay and I am still smiling and testing.........

I've seen the light, brother...! :)

I didn't know enough about pres to make any guesses, but I liked the #2 best. I suppose that means I need a GR MP-2NV. (I am also supposing that you posted your answers to correspond to the test # on track names, and not the order they appeared in the Soundclick site, which was different.) Thanks for taking the time to do this comparison.

rdozz said:
sorry for being unclear, you are correct.....

1 RNP
"
"
"
"
5 Yamaha

Well, I am in the process of researching pres and to my ears, number 5 sounded the best. I felt it brought out more detail in her voice. Imagine my surprise when I checked out the price of the Yamaha. :eek: Not one I will be buying too soon, but I still thought demo number 5 sounded best.

Also, it might have been my speakers but I thought some of them had a ever so slight muffled sound. Just my opinion.

Thanks for taking time to place these up and thank your wife for singing... a great song I may add.

Take care,
DennisT

Rdozz,

I really liked Drift On on your page.... is that you singing? Did you write/play/produce?

Very nice stuff....

Fab4ever,

Thanks for your nice comments. The singer/writer is a friend, his name is Clint and he is currently attending UTK on a scholarship for his ability on the up right bass. He has written and recorded about 12 songs over the last 2 years and he has a head full of songs we have not recorded yet.

I record and make small suggestions to help him get the sound he is looking for.

Rob

dlt123 said:
Well, I am in the process of researching pres and to my ears, number 5 sounded the best. I felt it brought out more detail in her voice. Imagine my surprise when I checked out the price of the Yamaha. :eek: Not one I will be buying too soon, but I still thought demo number 5 sounded best.

Also, it might have been my speakers but I thought some of them had a ever so slight muffled sound. Just my opinion.

Thanks for taking time to place these up and thank your wife for singing... a great song I may add.

Take care,
DennisT

OK, I've listened to these on my DAW system instead of my laptop speakers and here is the order I like...

Yamaha
BRICK
RNP
GR
Soundcraft

It will probably change tomorrow, but I'll stick with this order.
DennisT

Last edited:
Back