The Boxer

30 seconds in.....
SOLD.

There's little I love more than some belter harmonies!
The only thing is maybe the vocal compression tames things a bit much for my taste.
I mean, you've achieved a really nice smooth commercial sound worthy of envy, but I love hearing vocal harmonies peak and soar.

Listening to the built up outro, there seems to be a build up of 'sizzle' that I'd associate with condensers.
I know from past experience that I don't like that but it doesn't seem to bother other people, so feel free to ignore that.
Out of interest, did you use condensers on vocals?

Yes I did. U87 on him and a Blue Kiwi on her. Those are the vocals doubled once and offset, then once more for the last few refrains.

Ah you are kind. Thanks for the great insightful comments. Intro was a booger for sure!!! Still didn't get it. :)

Sounds really full, rich and clear. Really nice job.

My daughter instantly darted out of her room after the first few bars. She says it sounds more like the mumford & sons version than the original? I wouldn't know if that's true or not, but to her at least, that was a good thing.

The only thing that stood out to me was the kick drum. During the quieter bits it stuck out a little too much for me as sounding kind of clean and mechanical compared to the more organic feel of the other tracks. Maybe it was done with a real kick, but it just sounded a tad robotic for my tastes.

You really seem to know your shit.

Sounds AMAZING! I love it!

Is there a little autotune on the vocals? Is that what I'm hearing?

I used melodyne in spots. But their pitch is really good. He is just 16 and it was his first time behind a mic. So I corrected "nervous" notes. Mom is a harmony whizz.
Thanks so much for listening.

Sounds really full, rich and clear. Really nice job.

My daughter instantly darted out of her room after the first few bars. She says it sounds more like the mumford & sons version than the original? I wouldn't know if that's true or not, but to her at least, that was a good thing.

The only thing that stood out to me was the kick drum. During the quieter bits it stuck out a little too much for me as sounding kind of clean and mechanical compared to the more organic feel of the other tracks. Maybe it was done with a real kick, but it just sounded a tad robotic for my tastes.

You really seem to know your shit.

Ha. I wouldn't know the Mumford version either, but every gig I play all the people want to hear is freakin Wagon Wheel. It's the new Freebird I guess.

Spot on with the kick. It's a sample that I looped. The big drums were actually played, which was fun.

Back